What's the Best Way to Get Rid of Crows Feet?

I am a 24, a few years ago I began to notice crows feet, these have rapidly become worse and I am now looking a lot older than I am. I'm losing confidence in myself now. What would be the right treatment for me?

Different options for treating crow's feet and fine lines

+5

There are essentially 2 main categories of facial lines - dynamic and static.

• Dynamic lines are those produced by the actions of the underlying muscles. This can be illustrated by actively frowning (see the vertical lines between the brows?) or smiling/squinting (see the lines outside the eyes - i.e. crow's feet?).
  • In contrast, static facial lines are those that are present all times - even during complete rest or sleep, i.e. - these lines are actual lines present on the skin resulting from long history of squinting, frowning, sun damage, etc.

Typically speaking, there is some component of both lines present - one may have few lines at rest, but these lines become much more dramatic during animation. With the above in mind, there are really 2 main forms of treatment for facial lines:

1. Dynamic lines are best treated by Botox Cosmetic - which work by paralyzing the treated muscles. This makes sense since dynamic lines are from the movement of the underlying muscles.
  2. Static lines are best treated by Resurfacing. Resurfacing is a general term that involves "shaving" the top layers of skin. There are many different ways to resurface - mechanical (e.g. dermabrasion), chemical (TCA, Phenol, Retin A, etc.), and laser (CO2, Erbium, Fraxel, etc.).

With the above in mind, if the predominant component of your crow's feet is dynamic in nature, then Botox Cosmetic may be the preferred treatment method. If your crow's feet wrinkles are mostly static, then consider some form of resurfacing.

Resurfacing can be mild (microdermabrasion, light peels), moderate (TCA peels, etc) to deep (stronger chemical peels, C02 laser, etc). Some patients may require a combination of both treatments (botox + resurfacing). Please consult with your local professional to fully discuss all benefits, limitations of each treatment, and potential complications/side effects of each treatment to be fully informed about your options.

Hope this helps somewhat and at least, gives some general overview of the topic.

Corona Plastic Surgeon

Crow's Feet

+4

The best option for wrinkles at the corners of the eyes (crow's feet) is to use a neuromodulator, such as Botox or Dysport. These treatments temporarily weaken the small muscles in this area which cause these wrinkles while smiling or squinting. The crow's feet, horizontal forehead wrinkles and vertical wrinkles between the eyebrows are the three most commonly treated areas with Botox and Dysport. The effects typically last 3-4 months when patients first begin using Botox, however, with time I have found that treatments may be spaced out to 6 months or longer.

The other piece of advice I would offer would be to ensure that you are diligent about sunscreen use. Sun damage can cause the skin to look older than it should look at your age. Seek the advice of a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can recommend a good skin-care regimen for you.

Dr. Mehta

Web reference: http://www.mehtaplasticsurgery.com/botox-dysport/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crows Feet Treatment Options

+1

First I would address the reason for crows-feet wrinkles. These type of wrinkles are often seen in patients that squint so first of all I would make sure that if you need visual correction then use glasses or contacts (if not sure, have your vision tested) and use sunglasses on bright days.  Do not smoke, use sunscreens and moisturizers.    Now for treatment options: Botox by a qualified injector is probably your best option.  For well established static wrinkle lines TCA peel, or fractional laser often helps and in extreme cases surgical procedures to reduce these also are helpful. Redundant skin may require a pinch blepharoplasty or temple/brow lift depending on your exam.  A qualified board certified aesthetic surgeon  will help you find the right treatment for you