What is the Zerona Laser Treatment?

can a doctor please tell me more about the zerona laser liposuction? a doctor is offering this here in seattle and it appears to be a good way to get rid of my love handles.

Zerona Laser is a painless alternative to Liposuction

+3

Zerona Laser treatments are a series of 6 painless, non-surgical treatments over a 2 week period by a laser overlying the body areas you want reduced for a cost of roughly $2500-3000. It is a new technology that I hope keeps advancing to give great results in the future but so far only give a small improvement such as 1 inch reduction in each area. This may be significant for many patients and since there is no pain nor any down time, many patients are now enjoying the results. Some even are going through a 2nd series to get further improvements and some have noticed an improvement in their cellulite which is an added benefit since not much works on cellulite usually.

Liposuction gives by far a greater improvement and is easy to go through and has a quick recovery time but may not fit into your schedule or budget right now. Zerona is an alternative that many are finding helpful and worthwhile. Check it out!

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Zerona Laser Treatment - Non invasive fat removal device

+2

Zerona is a generalized “whole body” slimming non-invasive low level laser treatment coupled with oral medications, daily minimal water intake requirements. It uses photochemical rather than a thermal or ultrasonic mechanisms to alter the fat cell by making the fat cell membrane more permeable - letting fat out that is absorbed by the body.

According to Zerona, after 6 treatments and 2 weeks, the majority of patients will realize between 3-9 inches of generalized slimming, rather than localized fat reduction in a specific spot. Although FDA approved at this time and controlled studies have been done it is our office experience that this technique was not efficacious in our small clinical unpublished trial and we have stopped offering this treatment.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Zerona laser slimming

+2

I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in the United States and Canada. For a number of years, I have run teaching workshops for different liposuction techniques including ultrasonic liposuction, laser liposuction and radiofrequency liposuction. Not all body contouring patients want or desire surgery and I have been a big advocate of offering non-invasive options for those seeking moderate but noticeable body contouring improvements without surgery. These non surgical techniques include technologies such as, VelaShape, Thermage Body, Ultrashape, TriActive, Liposonix and many others. I own and operate all of these devices within my Medical Spa’s and perform the various liposuction techniques within my certified surgery center.

All of this is a back ground leading up to the Zerona Laser slimming question posted on this site. I too was suspicious that a photochemical, non-thermal, non-invasive, no pain, no downtime device would produce any results; however having reviewed the literature and following my personal Zerona patient experiences, I do agree with Dr. Kenkel, the ASPS incoming president and respected researcher, that there is scientific evidence for a significant, consistent, predictable, noninvasive, non thermal photochemical effect of Zerona on the fat cell.

After purchasing the Zerona device, I conducted a study on my own patients and I was quite impressed with what the device can do. The Zerona is a high fluence, low level laser therapy involving an array of diode laser devices positioned above the body of the patient, there is no pain, no downtime and no recovery. The patient lies for 20 minutes on their front side and 20 minutes on their back side. The 635 array of diode lasers emit up to 15 miliwatts at each source and focus the painless energy on the fat between the neck and the mid thighs. The characteristics of this diode laser light are such that over a series of treatments, performed every 48hrs, an opening is created in the cell membrane of the fat cells and the in Trigylceride contents of the fat cells are released into the space between the cells where they triglyceride are eliminated safely and effectively by the bodies normal carry protein systems.

The Zerona Laser Slimming program generally involves a 1 month commitment on the part of the patient, 1 week after the consultation is spent preparing incremental space and body with some diet mortifications, walking, fluid intake and some homeopathic supplements. Then there are the 6 Zerona treatments performed every 2nd day over two weeks, each treatment lasting 40 minutes followed by a one week post treatment period. After one month there is a circumferential measurement test and pinch test, all comparing to the pre treatment status. In my study, like other published series, there was a greater than 90% successful response rate of patients with the Zerona treatment. Response is defined as between a 3-9 inches measureable reduction and multiple body treatment areas.

Properly selected patients of Zerona are very happy. It does not replace nor complete with Liposuction of focal non-invasive “spot” treatment devices, which focally reduction contour abnormalities. Zerona is a generalized truncal body slimming technology with no apparent effect on cellulite. The Zerona patients are happy if well selected.

The procedure which is priced between $1,500-$2,900 for the program (depending upon the city) is affordable and it offers most clients that are unwilling or afraid of undergoing the gold standard liposuction procedures a slimming body contouring option. The Zerona distribution and sales company SBMI, believes enough in their product that they will guarantee the 3-9 inches result in a patient or they will provide the MD and their patient with free round of treatments.

I wish that all laser companies would stand behind their technologies with such commitment and conviction. Because Zerona is a laser slimming produces a generalized body fat reduction, it can also be combined with other non-invaisve focal reduction techniques such as VelasShape, Thermage Body, Accent, Ultrashape etc to provide slimming and focal contouring without liposuction, a program I call Zerona Sculpt.

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Zerona is not laser liposuction or traditional liposuction

+2

Great question. Zerona should not be confused with liposuction or laser liposuction. It does utilize low level laser light therapy, but is completely non-invasive. It has limited to no downtime and the therapy is applied over six 40 minute sessions over a 2 week period. It does have an effect, though mild, but may be something to look at for your problem areas.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Zerona reduces fat and reduces inches

+2

Zerona has proven to be a worthwhile addition to what plastic surgeons can offer their patients. I agree with Dr. Kenkel's posting. Zerona is a good way for patients to lose fat without surgery, without downtime and without pain. It does not replace liposuction or other body contouring procedures but does offer an option for those who prefer to avoid invasive procedures.

Zerona works well for three types of patients. The first being a patient that is just beginning to get back into shape. Using the Zerona treatment will maximize the amount of fat lost and accelerate the road to the end results of your efforts. Second would be those patients that never want to have any kind of surgery but would like to try something to reduce fat and inches. Lastly, there are some patients that would consider surgery but want to try everything they can before taking that plunge.

The most important thing is that it really does work. Remember that Zerona is intended to lose inches. While you will lose fat which causes the loss of inches, the loss of fat is proportional throughout an area. That is, your shape stays basically the same but your size goes down. I have treated many patients with this procedure and can tell you that every single one has lost something. My results range from about 2 inches up to over 11 inches, all the result of 2 weeks of treatments in total.

There may be doctors that don't believe in the technology, but I would bet they have never used it themselves, The proof is in the pudding, or the lost inches,

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

Zerona does reduce fat

+2

Zerona is low level laser therapy which is currently being used as an "off label" device for the treatment of fat (lipodystrophy). Despite what other authors have stated, the device does work and does have good science to back it up.

The company has put together a well controlled study that they submitted to the FDA. It is that data and our personal experience with the device that has convinced me that it works. I now am able to offer it to appropriate candidates in my practice. It allows me as a plastic surgeon to provide a spectrum of treatments for my patients.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Zerona is not liposuction

+2

Zerona proposes to melt fat across the skin without actually doing any liposuction on the patient. IF there were any changes derived from a treatment like this, they would be very minimal. Make sure that the doctor involved is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon because many non-plastic surgeons get involved in selling these minimalistic procedures that actually offer very little.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Alternative to liposuction

+1

ZERONA® is an FDA cleared alternative to liposuction, which reduces inches with no pain, no surgery and no downtime. Patients are losing between 3.6 to 5.5 inches and many are seeing even greater results when combined with a sensible diet and exercise program.

It's the perfect way to lose stubborn body fat from: neck, love handles, arms, hips, back/bra‐line, thighs, tummy/waistline and knees in this fast pace world we live in. After just six 40 minute treatments you will see inches melt away. And best of all there is no recovery or downtime so you can resume all your normal activities immediately after each treatment.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

What is zerona vs liposuction vs abdominoplasty

+1

Zerona is a low intensity, non invasive, laser light treatment designed to reduce the circumference of the waist, hips and thighs.  The treatments do not cause any discomfort, take approximately 40 minuits per treatment and are usually packaged in a series of 6 treatment scheduled over a two week period .   The results can vary depending on the individual.  Consult with a plastic surgeon who performs zerona, liposuction, other body contouring procedures such as abdominoplasty to determine which procedure may best suit you goals.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Zerona low level laser works for fat loss

+1

Zerona works. There are studies in our plastic surgery journals that document results of low level laser for fat reduction. I have been using the Zerona laser in my Palo Alto office since July and have been generally impressed. Many people have had great results. Zerona is completely painless and non-invasive. Liposuction and Smartlipo can remove more fat and can be minimally invasive but they are surgical procedures with some risk and recovery.

Zerona is an alternative to liposuction for those who want to completely avoid an invasive procedure and risk. I believe these type of treatments are the direction that plastic surgery is going in the 21st century.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon