What Are the Latest Trends in Acne Treatment?

are there new acne treatments coming to the market that work better than current ones? Tried dozen difft acne treatments and none are getting rid of the acne!

Acne treatments - The Perfecta laser

+1

My patients have been delighted with the results of the perfecta laser for acne treatments. The Perfecta laser can be effective for young people and for adult acne.

Web reference: http://www.bluewaterspa.com/perfectalaser.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Diet, green tea, hormones: "New" acne therapies

+1

Although dermatologists used to refute the claim that diet impacted acne, there is now new research on increased carbohydrate intake / glycermic load and higher incidence of acne.

Additionally, topical green tea (formulated in cleansers and serums, not tea bags on your skin) has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects similar to low-strength benzoyl peroxide without causing irritation. Such products are typically available in dermatologists' offices.

Finally, hormonal therapies such as oral contraceptive pills and spironolactone can be used to treat certain kinds of acne. It is best to have a dermatologist evaluate your skin and medical history in order to determine if any of these therapies are suitable for you.

Acne can be stubborn

+1

I am not aware of any new acne treatments coming to market. Drug companies are constantly reformulating and combining older active ingredients, but the only new molecule for the treatment of acne in the last 10 years is dapsone gel (brand name Aczone gel) which came out last year and while I have had good results using it on patients, I am not sure if it is really any better than any of our current medications.

Aczone gel is useful for the simple reason that by having another drug that has a different mechanism of action, it will help some people that don't respond to other medications. Another relatively new acne treatment is photodynamic therapy (a procedure done with a laser at your dermatologist's office). Don't forget that if nothing else you try gets rid of your acne, there is always Accutane which is remarkably consistent in its efficacy.

Miami Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.