What is ProLipo?

What is ProLipo? Is it the same as Smart Lipo or Cool Lipo?

ProLipo is yet another laser-assistance liposuction...

+3

ProLipo is yet another laser-assistance liposuction techniques.

ProLipo is made by Sciton, and uses a 1064-nm Nd:YAG.

Cool Lipo is made by CoolTouch, and uses 1320-nm Nd:YAG

SmartLipo is made by Cynosure, and also uses a 1064-nm Nd:YAG.

Interesting, huh?

Actually, here's the interesting part: there hasn't been a single published study that compares one of these to the other. In fact, there's not a published study that shows an advantage of any of these over traditional liposuction procedures.

Though these machines are being sold and being used, in my opinion, they are still at their infancy. Don't be seduced by expensive marketing campaigns.

If you want smart liposuction, look for a smart doctor!

Advatanges of Prolipo

+1

Prolipo is the brand name of laser lipolysis used by the Sciton company. Prolipo utilizes two different wavelengths of 1064 and 1320 that can be custom blended for a particular area of the body. There now have been several peer reviewed journal articles in the plastic surgery literature showing the advantage in skin tightening over tradional methods. I have found after doing several hundred of thes prolipo cases, that the small caliber of the canulas and the addition of heat to the area does make for a more gentle procedure than traditional methods. Less force and less passes of the canula through the tissue seems to be the deciding factor. I still use power assisted lipo where large volumes need to be removed or where many areas have to be done at one sitting. My patients have been pleased with their outcomes and many have come back to do more areas.

Marc J. Salzman, MD