Best Skin Aftercare Following Laser Resurfacing?
- Asked 6 years ago
Is there anything special I need to do (or not do) to recovery skin after a laser skin treatment or increase the effectiveness of the laser treatment?
Best care after laser treatments
Generally, after laser treatments, the most important thing you can do for about a week is to make sure the skin stays moist. There are a whole variety of things to do that from Vaseline to more complicated creams. About a week after treatment it’s important to start up with topical agents that maintain and further improve the results from the laser treatment. At the top of the list are products that contain glycolic acid and growth factors.
Skin Care After Laser Resurfacing
As a general rule, after laser resurfacing the skin should be kept moist until healed. We use a special type of bandage for the first 24 hours called Vigilon and then after that an ointment called Aquaphor. But each doctor probably has a particular product or regimen that they prefer. By keeping the skin moist it heals twice as quickly as letting it dry out. Its an old wives' tale that you let the air get to a wound to speed healing; its just the opposite. After the skin is healed following laser resurfacing a continuing regimen utilizing a retinoid will help stimulate further collagen deposition and improve and maintain the result.
After Laser Care
My routine after a deep laser is:
- Elta cream (a Vaseline type ointment) applied immediately after the procedure, keep reapplying as it dries out until you first get in the shower
- Starting on day 2, the patient gets in the shower and gently washes the face (no soap) 4-6 times a day
- Reapply the Elta cream after each shower
- Keep this up until all the crusting, flaking and peeling is gone. This usually takes 7-10 days following a deep Erbium treatment
- Once the skin is not peeling anymore, you an apply a coverup makeup to hide some of the reddness
- Moisturize with a very hypoallergenic lotion like Cetaphil
- Keep using very mild moisturizers until the pinkness and reddness has faded (be patient as this can take weeks or even months)
Recent Laser Resurfacing Reviews
Laser Resurfacing Photos
Stay out of the sun before and after treatment plus...
- Stay out of the sun before and after treatment plus appropriate skin protection.
- Use constant application of gentle moisturizers every couple of hours after treatments.
In order to achieve optimum results from a laser...
In order to achieve optimum results from a laser treatment, follow the treatment with either a glycolic acid or retinol serum and a ceramide containing moisturizer.
Skin care after laser resurfacing
Skin heals best when it is kept moist. The best way to accomplish that is to apply an ointment with no irritants in it, such as petroleum jelly (Vaseline) every two-three hours for three days after the procedure.
It is also extremely important to stay out of the sun while the skin is healing. The skin has very little protection after a resurfacing procedure and may be damaged more easily by ultraviolet light. In addition, exposure to the sun may lead to complications, such as hyperpigmentation.
After the skin is healed and all the scabs/crusts are gone, a good skin care regimen with a mild cleanser, a moisturizer and a retinoid cream will help maintain and improve the results of the procedure.
Skin aftercare following laser resurfacing
The skin aftercare depends on the depth of the laser resurfacing. Superficial lasers may just need some daily dilute vinegar water soaks . More aggressive lasers may need some oral medications. Usual skin care regimen in my office includes petroleum jelly for a few days with vinegar soaks.
Best Skin Care After Laser Resurfacing
In general, after a laser resufacing procedure, skin is delicate and needs to be hydrated, protected, and in some cases stimulated with growth factors.
1. Hydration--The skin need to stay moist and application of a variety of ointments such as Aquaphor can be used. Covering the face is another option for some patients with a specialized product to do so.
2. Early cleaning-- If a deep laser resurfacing procedure was performed, patients may need to do rinses with apple cider vinegar rinse or other product for a few days to help. We do not want patients using soap early on.
3. Recovery-- Early on, growth factors applied can help skin recover faster.
4. Protection-- Avoidance of sun and trauma to the skin is critical and review with your office the best means of protecting your newly lasered skin protected.
Web reference: http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/laser-resurfacing.html
Treatment after your laser skin treatment can vary from laser to laser and from physician to physician, but usually it involves keeping the treated areas moist with a hydrating ointment for several days until the acute healing phase has subsided.
The best source for this type of information is the board certified physician that will be administrating the treatment.
I hope this helps
Skin Care after Laser Resurfacing
Thank you for the great question! Yes, there are definitely things you can do to improve your results and recovery. First, before you have the treatment, I generally recommend using a low dose of retin-A and a light bleaching cream. This helps with healing and decreases the likelihood of post-treatment pigmentation issues. Second, during the week after your procedure, it is imperative that you keep your skin well-hydrated and prevent fluid loss through the healing skin. This is best accomplished with an emollient, such as aquaphor. In addition, I generally prescribe a low does anti-inflammatory (steroid) such as locoid. This also helps with inflammation and pigmentation issues. Finally, depending on the type and depth of laser, some prophylactic antibiotics or anti-viral medications may be needed. Best of luck!
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.