Sculptra Vs Radiesse: What is the Difference?

please compare Radiesse and Sculptra

Sculptra works better for facial contouring

After using both Sculptra and Radiesse heavily in my practice, I find that Sculptra is superior for filling in hollow temples, defining a sagging jawline and building cheek contours. While radiesse can be used in these areas, radiesse does not last as long and does not have the smooth consistency that sculptra offers. Radiesse works better for deep smile lines, sagging mouth corners and smaller areas of facial depression. Sculptra produces far better results and lasts longer when working on facial areas that require a considerable amount of 3 dimensional contouring such as the temples, cheeks, hollows in front of the ear and jawline. Sculptra also requires a better understanding of 3 dimensional aesthetics of the face as well as greater skill on the part of the injector.

Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Both Sculptra and Radiesse are long-term fillers

Lee, Both Sculptra and Radiesse are long-term fillers which work by slightly different mechanisms, but both lead to very nice results. Sculptra consists of poly-L-lactic acid, sodium carboxymethylcellulose and mannitol which attract water and stimulates collagen production.

The effect of Sculptra will increase with time. Radiesse is made of hydroxyapatite which is an effective temporary volume filler. The effect of Radiesse will not increase with time. Additionally, Radiesse may cause some temporary swelling which enhances its initial effect, but resolves over a few weeks. I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD

A Comparision Between Radiesse and Sculptra

Category:
Radiesse:  filler with minimal biostimulation
Sculptra:     biostimulator without filling effect

Duration:
Radiesse:  up to one year
Sculptra:     up to two years

Best Locations of Use:
Radiesse:  areas of thick skin:  flat cheek, nose, chin
Sculptra:     areas of thin skin:  temple, thin heeks, around the mouth (but not the lips),  jowls, depression in front of the ears, hands

Recovery:
Radiesse: slightly more bruising
Sculptra:  minimal

Feel;
Radiesse:  firm
Scultra: nodule if too supeficial or too concentrated

Cost:
Radiesse:  more costly per cc
Sculptra:  less costly per cc

My favorite combination use: raidisse for chin/nose augmentation and profiling, sculptra for the remaining facial voluminizing and thickening for folds, lines, and depressions,  juvaderm for lips and tip of nose.

George Sun, MD

Sculptra tends to be more lumpy bumpy than Radiesse

Both sculptra and Radiesse are long term filler (lasting 1 yr or more usually). They both are used primarily for filling in nasolabial or cheek grooves and both do nice jobs at that but Radiesse tends to have less chance of leaving uneven or lumpy bumpy results than Sculptra.

David Hansen, MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Very good question...easy answer...

sculptra is a biostimulator...it causes the tissue to build it's own collagen which is the reason it's results last a long time...several years or more...and it's safer to inject since it's a liquid which allows the doctor to make certain it won't be injected to a blood vessel...but the downside is it takes several months to see the results...not like a filler with instant results...

radiesse while marketed as a biostimulator really works by filling and not principally by stimulating collagen...when it was initially marketed the thought was it would last for several years but expectations have reduced that to about a year or less...it's impossible to aspirate since it's so thick, so there's the potential for injecting into a blood vessel which obviously increases the possibility of problems...unlike with sculptra, the filling is immediate with radiesse...

both are injected into the same general area of the skin and both can cause lumps and other minor side effects...

so if long duration and safety is important, go with sculptra...if there's time pressure where you need results right now then radiesse is a better choice...but obviously this sacrifices some longevity and brings up the potential for vascular compromise

Ken Landow, MD

Sculptra vs Radiesse

.When treating problems due to volume loss such as cheek hollows and sagging skin beside the mouth, I will almost always use stimulatory fillers such as Radiesse and/or Sculptra. They are injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. They work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they are so effective, and give longer-lasting results too. I often combine Radiesse and Sculptra treatments for different areas of the face as I feel they each have certain advantages, when properly used, to fix specific problems due to volume loss. Radiesse is gel-based and gives instant results that lasts one to two years. It works best for cheeks, nasolabial folds, marionette lines and the jaw line. Sculptra is water based so it is easier to place more diffusely underneath the skin. The results are very gradual and take several treatments to see improvement but then will last for many years. Sculptra also works well in the cheeks and temples. It is my preferred treatment for fines lines throughout the lower face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse vs Sculptra

Radiesse is a filler that gives instantaneous results and lasts 10-12 months.  A small percentage of the product is replaced with collagen as it dissipates but this is probably less than 10%.  Radiesse is the strongest lifting agent on the market so is great for patients with fuller faces, and individuals who have a significant amount of volume loss.  

Sculptra is a medication that is injected and stimulates the face to increase collagen for volume.  This takes 3-4 months to happen so it's not instantaneous but will last 2 years once you see the result.  Because the product is dependent on collagen production ability, younger patients usually respond better.  Patients over the age of 60 do well with Sculptra but usually require 6-7 vials over 3-4 sessions to get a good result.

Both are great volumizers and frequently can be used together if your surgeon is familiar with combining products. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Differences Between Radiesse and Sculptra

Radiesse and Sculptra are both used to correct volume loss on the face. Sculptra is delayed gratification as it works slowly over time and involves a series of injections to stimulate your own body's production of collagen whereas Radiesse is a filler that gives immediate results. Sculptra consists of an all natural sugar molecule, poly-L-lactic acid, which helps to stimulate your own collagen production.The effects of Sculptra will increase gradually over time and the duration is typically about two years where as Radiesse, made of hydroxyapatite, is a temporary filler and works immediately. With Radiesse, touchups may be needed at three months and it typically lasts for one year or less. I personally like to use Sculptra because of its longevity in the patient and the natural results that can be achieved.

Mary Hurley, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Sculptra and Radiesse

Scupltra and Radiesse are both long-term fillers.  Sculptra is water based and consists of poly-L-lactic acid and usually takes three treatments scheduled approximately one month apart.  Radiesse consists of  hydroyxapatite.  Sculptra will last up to two year and you can volumize all areas of the face and I much prefer it to Radiesse.  Radiesse lasts up to one year but can not be used to do a "liquid face lift" like Sculptra.