What Causes Adult Acne Breakouts?

My dermotologist cannot give me an answer to why I started acne at age 19 and since. I have a very light complexion. Never, not even as a teenager, had I ever had acne problems. I started growing this horrifying monster acne at age 19 only in the cheek area toward my neck. No other place in my face or body. I'm scarred with tiny and also huge red dark spots. Once a year, I break out in this nightmare way. Once a year I must go see my dermotologist. What causes adult acne breakouts?

Adult acne cause

+2

There are very few things more frustrating than to have had clear skin, and then to develop acne "out of the blue". Many factors go into the development of acne, including genetic infuences, hormonal influences, sometimes weather and ultraviolet radiation. In some situations, there are persons who have hormonal abnormalities, such as Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease, that are associated with intractable acne. I refer some of my female patients with stubborn acne, to their gynecologist for a hormonal evaluation.

Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne in adults can have many causes

+1

Acne in adults may be caused by by many reasons.  Some patients are genetically predisposed to acne.  It tends to run in some families and can be more stubborn.  Other types of acne are more hormonal and tend to be more easily treated with birth control medications.  An adult should be examined by a board certified dermatologist.  There is no acne that cannot be treated with the current plethora of medications and treatments available.

Adult acne - a growing problem

+1

Adult acne is very common, especially in womon. It is unclear why acne is increasing in adults, but it may have to do with hormones, estrogens specifically, that are in our foods and air. Hormones are definitely involved. The treatment is very similar to treatment of teenage acne and lots of options exist for our patients.

Causes of Acne in Adults

+1

Adults may also suffer from acne. Flares and inflammatory acne lesions may develop in situations of stress, also from occlusion and trapping of sweat on the skin surface (at the gym, at the beach, from excessive sunscreen application), poor facial cleansing and some foods (typically chocolate and fatty meals).

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon