What Areas of my Face Can I Get Botox Injected?

I have wrinkles pretty much across my entire face! So where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective?

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Where can you use Botox

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for newbies

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Botox is a great product when used correctly. The most common areas to have Botox treatments are in the forehead, between the eyes and lateral to the eyes. Botox is typically helpful to treat lines caused by movement. Your muscles cause folds in the skin that lead to wrinkles.

Botox is not a filler and is not the first choice in treating other areas in the face that need replacement of the volume that many patients lose over time as they age. Most patients need a combination of Botox and fillers to reach their aesthetic goals. Botox can be used in other areas besides just the forehead but that is dependent on the individual needs of each patient.

This is why it is important to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. They can evaluate you and discuss your treatment options that are going to help you achieve your aesthetic goals. There are so many options to give you a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance.

Botox for Pan-Facial Wrinkles: Pick Your Battles

The most common areas for Botox in my practice are:  
1.  Glabella. Frown Lines. Lose the 11's. 
2. Crow's feet
3. Forehead wrinkles. 
4. Vertical Lip Lines. 
5. Bunny nose. 
6. Eyebrow 'commas'. 
7. DAO (down turned corners of the mouth). 

Remember that:
Botox is ideal for dynamic wrinkles (those wrinkles made worse by animation.)
Filler is ideal for volume loss. 

Botox shines in the upper half of the face. Filler shines in the lower half of the face.  

Most aging faces need a combination of toxin, volume, lifting and resurfacing. Not all need to be accomplished at once, but one tool does not fix everything. 

Botox, fillers and lasers for optimal results

Botox is an FDA approved drug that can be used to treat fine lines and wrinkles safely, when in the right hands. An aesthetic Botox treatment can typically be used on the forehead, glabella (frown lines), crows feet, masseters (jawline) and platysmal bands (neck bands) to create a soft, rested look.

However, because you say wrinkles are across your entire face, you would probably get the best result with a combined treatment of dermal fillers and/or fractionated lasers. While dermal fillers replace lost volume, lasers can eliminate fine lines, improve texture and pore size and reduce pigmentation for a rejuvenated look.

I recommend meeting with a board certified cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is best for dynamic wrinkles

Botox is best for dynamic expression lines, such as forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet around the eyes, and frown lines. It can also be used for “bunny lines,” which are those wrinkles that appear when the nose is scrunched. For wrinkles that show at rest and deeper lines like nasolabial folds or marionette lines, a dermal filler such as Juvederm or Restylane may be a better choice. Laser resurfacing can also be a good choice for deep wrinkles. I suggest visiting a board-certified dermatologist for an in-person consultation to evaluate your wrinkles and determine the best treatment plan.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon