What Areas of my Face Can I Get Botox Injected?

I have wrinkles pretty much across my entire face! So where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective?

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Where can you use Botox

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for newbies

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Botox for Wrinkle Treatment

Although Botox can be injected in many areas of the face, it's most commonly used to reduce wrinkles in the forehead, crows feet, and lines in-between the eyebrows. It has proven to have great results in these areas, usually lasting for 3-4 months. I would recommend consulting with a board certified physician who can assess you and explain all of your options. There may be other products or non-invasive procedures besides Botox that you would be a good candidate for. It's important to find a doctor who will spend time creating a customized treatment plan for you and take your facial rejuvenation goals into consideration. Often times, more than one product is needed to provide patients with the results that they are looking for. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Areas of Face for Botox

Botox is a great product for fine wrinkles around the eyes and forehead and the mouth. Botox does not help with deep lines on the cheeks or around deeper lines on the forehead or lips. Filler can be considered after consultation with an eyelid and facial plastic surgery expert. 

The upper face will give the most natural result and bang for your buck

Botox is good for dynamic lines (those that deepen with movement) and not so good for static lines (those that look deep when the face is relaxed.

Botox is remarkably good at improving forehead lines, the 11's, and the crows feet. It is far less effective for wrinkles of the lower face and neck. Improvements may be made in these areas, however, there is greater risk that natural facial expressions will be affected.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon