What Areas of my Face Can I Get Botox Injected?

I have wrinkles pretty much across my entire face! So where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective?

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Where can you use Botox

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for newbies

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Where can I use botox?

The most common areas treated with botox are the glabella (or 'frown lines' - area between your eyebrows) and 'crowsfeet' (area to the outside of your eyes). These 2 areas are also the only 2 areas approved by the FDA for treatment with botox.

Other common areas treated, which is considered 'off-label' by FDA, include the forehead and bunny lines (by nose).

Commonly, a facial skin treatment for rejuvenation of the skin can be combined with botox treatment to help with overall facial balance and rejuvenation.

I hope this is helpful - be sure to schedule a formal consult with a plastic surgeon so you can get all of your questions answered!

Where is Botox used

Thank you for your question.  Botox has become the most common cosmetic procedure due to its ease of use and effectiveness.  However, Botox is not able to remove every wrinkle on the face.  Botox works by temporarily relaxing specific muscles of the face responsible for creating dynamic creases.  These are the wrinkles that occur with facial expression, such as the crow's feet, frown lines, and transverse forehead creases. It can also be used on the upper lip and neck bands.  Botox is not used on the fine, diffuse creases of our skin, which are best treated with lasers or skin care.  Botox is also not useful for the deeper crease of the lower face, which are best treated with fillers.
Botox should be injected by a skilled injector for the best results.  If used appropriately and judiciously, Botox can give a natural but improved look.  A trip to your plastic surgeon's office should help you with this.
Best of luck with your botox.
Jeff Rockmore 

Best areas of the face for botox use

Best areas for botox administration include:
Glabella - get rid of those "11" lines between the eyes
Forehead - helps flatten those forehead wrinkles
Outer eyebrow - This will paralyze the orbicularis muscle under the outer eyebrow along the frontalis muscle to gently elevate the outer eyebrow
Smile lines or crow's feet - Botox here will help to rid the smile lines or at least improve them.
Bunny lines at the top of the nose - Botox works well here.

Other areas that work well but require a more experienced injector:
Masseter hypertrophy 
Depressor Oris Anguli muscles - paralyzing these will help improve a downward pulled outer mouth
Mentalis muscle - helps with persistent mentalist strain or wrinkles of the chin
Platysma bands - helps flatten the straining cords of the neck

That covers almost 99% of the common locations for botox use in the face.

Wrinkles caused by motion

Botox, Dysport and Zenomin are medicines, which treat wrinkles caused by motion. The most common areas are the 11’s lines or wrinkles, which form, in the central forehead between the eyebrow areas (also known as the glabellae). Crow’s feet (lateral canthal lines) and forehead lines or wrinkles are a close second in my practice.

Fixed lines/wrinkles elsewhere on the face are often the results of deflation of the face as a consequence of aging, descent of the soft tissues and long-term sun exposure. These have other solutions, which can dramatically improve your appearance and skin health.

Dean L. Johnston, MD