What Areas of my Face Can I Get Botox Injected?

I have wrinkles pretty much across my entire face! So where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective?

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Where can you use Botox

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for newbies

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Botox

Thank you for your question. The general algorithm is that Botox is effective in the “upper ⅓” of the face: forehead lines, crow’s feet, and lines between the eyebrows. These lines are “dynamic” lines, caused by underlying muscle contractions. By relaxing the associated muscles, Botox smoothens the upper ⅓ of the face. “Static” lines in the lower face, such as the nasolabial folds, are amenable to facial filler.
Hope this is helpful. Best wishes. Dr. Shah

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox vs fillers

I often get the question what is the difference between Botox and fillers. Botox is great for reducing frown lines associated with facial expressions. Good examples are the forehead lines when you raise your browns, the frown lines between the Brows when you're giving a stern look, or the smile lines along the sides of the Eyes when you are smiling.  Fillers on the other hand are great for softening any shadows or lines or folds in the face when you're not making any facial expression.

Thank you for your question.  Cosmetic Botox in the face has many potential indications.  The most common areas include: the forehead for horizontal wrinkles, the eyebrows to try and elevate the outer eyebrow, the area between the eyes for the 1,11,111s (frown lines), Crow's feet along the outer eye, along the nose for "bunny lines," the upper lip for vertical wrinkles, and the chin region to try to elevate the corners of the mouth. There are others, but find a board certified plastic surgeon that knows facial anatomy, and they will be able to guide you the best in what you should consider.