What Areas of my Face Can I Get Botox Injected?

I have wrinkles pretty much across my entire face! So where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective?

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

+6

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

+4

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

+4

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

+4

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Where can you use Botox

+2

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for newbies

+2

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Wrinkles caused by motion

+1
Botox, Dysport and Zenomin are medicines, which treat wrinkles caused by motion. The most common areas are the 11’s lines or wrinkles, which form, in the central forehead between the eyebrow areas (also known as the glabellae). Crow’s feet (lateral canthal lines) and forehead lines or wrinkles are a close second in my practice.

Fixed lines/wrinkles elsewhere on the face are often the results of deflation of the face as a consequence of aging, descent of the soft tissues and long-term sun exposure. These have other solutions, which can dramatically improve your appearance and skin health.

Dean L. Johnston, MD

Diverse uses for Botox

+1
Botox was first approved in the late 1970s for cosmetic use in the glabella, or central forehead lines that people often called the "11s." Immediately after its initial approval, off label uses on many areas of the face and neck became commonly used and also very popular. Botox has subsequently gained other FDA approvals for cosmetic use, such as for the "crows feet" around your eyes.

It is true that Botox is often used all over the face for various indications. Depending on what you need, it is a very diverse and quite useful tool, especially in the right hands.
Other common areas for Botox use include:

Horizontal lines on the forehead

Lateral eyebrow lift

Bunny lines on the nose

"Gummy" smile of upper lip

Down turned corners of the mouth

Wrinkly, puckered chin

Neck lift and reduction of neck bands

Fine lines, sometimes called "smokers lines," around the mouth

Excessive flaring of the nostrils

Lower eyelid wrinkles and lift

Facial shaping of thick muscles used for chewing that affect the overall shape of the face, call the masseter

Botox can even be used to reduce the size of enlarged salivary gland that can sometimes be visible in your cheeks and under your chin

Even with this diverse toolbox of uses, overall facial wrinkles and skin quality are often due to sun damage as opposed to wrinkles caused by movement of muscles - which Botox targets. If that is the case, Botox will do very little to improve this, and the resurfacing procedure with a laser or chemical peel will likely give much greater benefit.

Your best bet is to seek out somebody experienced with all neuromodulators such as Botox and resurfacing procedures to see what is best for you.

To guarantee you're receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

What areas of the face can be treated with botox

+1
The general rule is that the lines around your eyes and above are the best areas for botox. Botox treats wrinkles caused by muscle movement in the upper part of the face. While lines on the lower face are also caused by muscle movement these muscles when weakened with botox lead to a stroke like appearance. The exception are the pucker muscles causing vertical lip lines and the corner of mouth depressors. Light doses of botox can be used here but it is associated with a higher incidence of "too much" weakness. In general fillers are better treatments for the mid and lower parts of the face.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox can treat many areas of the face

+1
In our clinic we most commonly inject Botox in the frown lines or "11s" between the eyes.  A close second is the "crow's feet" lateral to the eyes, followed by forehead wrinkles.  However, there are multiple other uses on the lower face as well, which can improve wrinkles on the nose, lips and chin.

Botox temporarily and selectively weakens muscles in the face so it is effective for wrinkles caused by facial movement.  Some deep furrows are better treated with other treatments like fillers or surgery.

William Andrade, MD