What Areas of my Face Can I Get Botox Injected?

I have wrinkles pretty much across my entire face! So where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective?

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

9735 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

9735 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

2802 Oak View Drive
Omaha, NE 68144

Where can you use Botox

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

2121 North 1700 West
Layton, Utah 84041

Botox for newbies

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

509 Olive Way
Seattle, WA 98101

Botox areas on the face

There are numerous areas of the face where you can use Botox, although the classic locations include glabellar lines (between your brows), forehead lines and crow's feet. In some people you can use Botox for upper lip (perioral) lines, neck lines, bunny lines, marionette lines, chin dimple, gummy smile.  
However, if you truly have wrinkles across your entire face, there might be better treatment alternatives including full-face fractional laser resurfacing, or combination therapies with injectable fillers. You can also use a variety of tightening devices including Ulthera so having a proper consultation with a board-certified dermatologist will ensure that you will truly get the right procedure to address your concerns. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

4935 40 Ave NW
Calgary, Alberta T3A 2N1

What Areas Can Botox Be Injected

The most common areas for Botox treatment are in the upper face.  The most common area is between the eyebrows (called the glabella) which improves the 11's or frown lines.   Other common treatments include the horizontal forehead lines and the crow's feet lines that radiate from the sides of the eyes.  I also like to place Botox under the eyes to help reduce bunching of skin as well as to open up the eye and make it appear rounder.  Botox injections done at the lateral eyebrow can help give a subtle eyebrow lift. 

In addition, I often inject Botox at the sides of the nose to help with "bunny lines."  Another area that I like to treat is around the mouth to help with vertical lip lines.  I also like to inject the DAO muscle close to the jawline to help raise the corners of the mouth.  Sometimes I will inject the platysma muscle in the neck to reduce visible vertical bands.

Botox can also be injected into the armpits to virtually eliminate underarm sweating with results that typically last for six months.  Treatment of excess sweating requires more Botox units but I charge less per unit for this type of treatment. 

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite St.
Lone Tree, CO 80124

Botox for the Face

Thank you for your question.  If you have wrinkles that cover you entire face and have sun damaged skin you may benefit from CO2 laser resurfacing.  However, depending on the experience of your injector, Botox may be used for many areas of the face.  The common areas of use are the glabellar complex (11's), the brow, the forehead, and the crow's feet. Botox may also be injected in the following areas:

1. Lower lid -soften fine lines under the eye and to give the appearance of a more open eye
2. Nasalis - to reduce "Bunny Lines" (wrinkles on side of the nose)
3. Lateral Orbicularis Occuli - to provide for a slight brow lift
4. Depressor Septi Nasi - to raise the tip of the nose
5. Lip Elevator Muscle - to reduce a gummy smile
6. Depressor Anguli Oris - to lift the corners of the mouth
7. Mentalis - to reduce the golf ball chin
8. Masseter - to reduce a strong jawline
9. Platysmal Bands - to reduce the lines/bands in the neck

These are advanced techniques and can provide for amazing results when injected properly. These injections need to be done by an experienced physician injector to achieve optimal results. Botox Cosmetic has been used for many years and is considered to be very safe.  I hope this information was helpful!

Best Regards,
Dr. John Serrao  

E. John Serrao, MD
Orlando OB/GYN

2905 McRae Ave
Orlando, FL 32803