What Areas of my Face Can I Get Botox Injected?

I have wrinkles pretty much across my entire face! So where would Botox be best suited/safe/effective?

Experience counts in Botox injection technique

+6

Botox is a safe medication administered for cosmetic improvement of wrinkles. In this particular case where you complain of diffuse wrinkling, you may not be a candidate for Botox as your skin may be photoaged. The proper treatment may be to improve skin resiliency and quality.

Botox is best indicated for the forehead, crow's feet, and the glabells ("11 lines")

+4

Botox is best and most often used for forehead wrinkles, crow's feet lines around the eyes, and the "11 lines" between the eyebrows. Botox has been safely used in these areas by many practitioners for many years, and I would say that the vast majority of experience has been in these 3 areas. There are other areas and uses for Botox also. including:

1. "Bunny lines" on the sides of the nose

2. Gummy smile reduction

3. Nasal flare reduction

4. Lifting up the corners of the mouth

5. Tightening the jawline (difficult to do, not as popular)

6. Lifting eyebrows

7. Decreasing the "orange peel" appearance of the chin

8. Lessening the appearance of neck bands

These are some of the other advanced uses of Botox and may be something worth trying if you have any of these issues since Botox is relatively cheap and completely reversible.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging...

+4

Botox can be used on various areas of the face, ranging from the forehead to the frown lines between the eyes and the crows feet.

In my practice, I also use it on the lips (smokers lines) and occasionally on the chin area for people who tend to dimple their chins.

It is an incredibly useful tool and, in the right hands, can accentuate the eyes and make them look much more attractive. While most people out there do a limited amount of Botox, if you go to someone who is an expert, they will typically know how to do the other areas without side effects.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX Cosmetic is...

+4

For aesthetic purposes, BOTOX® Cosmetic is FDA-approved for the treatment of glabella lines (frown lines between the eyebrows) and is also commonly used to prevent or treat horizontal lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.

Using my advanced knowledge of facial anatomy, I am also able to perform BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments into less common sites to create a mini-browlift, reduce lip lines, relax vertical neck muscle bands, or to aesthetically improve other features of the face.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Where can you use Botox

+2

I like Botox for the upper face and think it does very well.  Common locations are between the eyebrows, in the forehead and in "Crow's Feet".  Less commonly injected areas include the DOA (depressor anguli oris- a muscle that causes you to frown) and in bands in the neck.  I am not a fan of Botox in the wrinkles around the mouth.  When people have had this they often look like they've had a stroke.  Botox is an excellent medication and can do things that surgery can not.  However, Botox is not a replacement for a facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty or skin resurfacing.  Be careful that the person who does your Botox does the other procedures as well or they may be just taking your money for minimal or no benefit.  Remember that for the person with one hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.  Make sure they have more than "one" hammer.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for newbies

+2

Botox, is a great drug, but unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as a wrinkle eraser. If you are a Botox virgin, I would recommend most strongly to choose an experienced qualified injector. He or she will be able to assess your face and discuss your options in details. It is usually more important to assess what you want to improve, and then decide what you will use to achieve this improvement.

In general, however, Botox works great for improvement of vertical lines between the eyebrows, forehead lines, and crows feet area. Other applications are more advanced, and your physician will discuss whether you might benefit from them.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Most effective

+1
Botox works best in the upper face. The muscles of the brow, including those that cause the "11" and the crows feet area get the best results.  Although it is occasionally used in other areas, these are the most common and most effective.

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Best places for Botox

+1
Botox is formulated for the “dynamic” wrinkles on your face. These are the wrinkles that have formed from using expressions (eg. smiling, frowning, raising the eyebrows, etc). A common rule of thumb is that botox is used from the eyes up and dermal fillers from the cheeks down (though there are a few exceptions where small amounts of botox in the upper lip and the depressor muscles on the side of the lips can give a good look… and filler in hollow temples and a thin “glaze” of filler in the forehead can restore good curvature and take away lines in these locations). Therefore, between the eyebrows, and the “crows feet” are the most common areas for treatment and good places to start.
Treating the jaw muscles (masseter) when headaches emanate from there or in those who grind their teeth with Botox can be very helpful and aesthetically pleasing. Using Botox elsewhere in the lower cheeks doesn't greatly reduce wrinkles, as these are generally deeper, static wrinkles. Thus, I don't recommend using it in the lower face. Fillers are better suited for these areas.
Consult with your doctor about which wrinkles are the most bothersome to you and a good injector would know how to put the right amount to decrease but not freeze these target areas first. Just a few treated sites can make a huge difference!

David J. Myers, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox locations

+1
Botox is approved for use by the FDA in limited areas of the face. The glabella ( the furrow lines between your brows) is the most common place that Botox is used. There are other areas of the face that Botox is helpful in treating including horizontal forehead lines and crows feet wrinkles. Botox is rarely of use in the lower face below the level of the eyes. There are many other adjunctive treatments for wrinkling in other areas. Excellent skin care and addressing photoaging is important is achieving more youthful looking skin.

Rachel Streu, MD
Ann Arbor General Surgeon

Most Common Botox Injection Sites

+1
The most common areas are between the eyebrows (frown lines), forehead and crow’s feet. As indicated by Allergan, 8 out of 10 Botox users say they will continue treating their frown lines and 9 out of 10 are willing to tell friends and family about their treatment.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon