Weight Loss Option for a 22 Year Old?

I have been trying to lose weight for about 4 years now and can't seem to get the last 80 lbs off that I want lose.

I've considered Gastric bypass surgery and Liposuction but I am scared of both options just being almost 22 yrs old. What should or can I do?

Steps for weight loss

+3

Liposuction is not your best option for weight loss.

I would strongly recommend meeting with a nutritionist and contemplate a supervised and monitored diet such as the Weight watchers or Jenny Craig.

If this is not successful the next step would be a medically prescribed course of dietary restrictions and or medications.

IF this were to fail, then I would contemplate options for bariatric surgery.

Weight Loss Options for 22 yr old (Bypass vs Liposuction)

+3

Let me clear on the fact that liposuction is not a weight loss option, it is an aesthetic option. When considering weight loss options there are several factors to keep in mind such as conditions associated with weight gain, expectation for weight loss and other factors. The first option is always following a healthy lifestyle and exercise routine. If conservative measures fails, surgical treatmen such as bypass, sleeve gastrectomy or lap band should be considered for patients that are approx 100 lbs overweight. Consult with a surgical weight loss expert regarding the different techniques for weight loss and potential complications associated with these techniques.

Houston Bariatric Surgeon

Liposuction or Gastric Bypass for Weight Loss

+2

Methods for weight loss are so numerous that it's a multi-billion dollar industry. The reality is that it really comes down to simple math: calories in = calories out. I lost 35lbs last year by strictly counting every single calorie that went into me. This is very hard to do but is the most accurate way.

One pound is equal to 3500 calories. So my suggestion is to go to a website where you can determine your daily calorie needs (there are many). Then take in 500 calories per day less than this. In a week you'll lose 1 pound. Exercise daily, not just a gentle walk for 20 minutes but a real, sweat producing 30-60 minute daily workout is essential.

Surgery is not an option. It's about will power and desire. Then keeping it off is even harder but there's nothing better than losing inches and getting into smaller clothing. You will never do anything has hard as this but the rewards are awesome. You can do it.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure

+2

Hi Jenn,

Liposuction is an operation best suited for contouring problem areas. The best candidates are not far from their ideal body weights and need fat removed in a few areas. It is not a good option for weight loss; removing 80 lbs. worth of fat, even if possible, would be incredibly unsafe.

At your age, a medically-supervised weight loss regimen would be indicated intially. Talk to your primary doctor about this, but it would essentially consist of calorie restriction and increased exercise. If you're not successful, speaking to a bariatric surgeon about various weight loss procedures may be indicated.

All the best.

Too young to be obese?

+2

You are not alone in this plight. I suggest working with a health coach to help you track and work toward reasonable goals. I will coach my patients to increase their muscle/fat ratios with the goal of 1 to 2 pounds of weight loss a week. Any faster rate of loss will risk a rebound. Any plateau is your body's resistance to the rate of change in your physiology. Biological systems respond on their own terms and not on our desired schedule. Surgery is available, but should always be considered in balancing the risk to benefit ratios. Best wishes on your journey to a trim body.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss for a 22 year old.

+1

The best method for weight loss in a 22 year old is a Lap-Band if you qualify.  This is the safest of the bariatric surgical procedures and is adjustable as well as reversible.  Liposuction should not be used for weight loss but to contour your body.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.