Hyperpigmentation 7 Weeks After CO2 Laser Removal of Sebaceous Hyperplasia

I Am 7 Weeks Post Op for Co2 Laser Removal of a Sebaceous Hyperplasia Under my Right Eye. The settings of the laser were 1 pass, 4 watts P22. It was bright red 2 weeks ago and is now a darker red. My PS said it is not hyperpigmentation. I have used aquaphor, hydrocortisone 1%, hydrocortisone 2.5%, cutivate .05% and a pack of oral steriods. My PS will not prescribe Group 1 or Group 2 topical steroids due to thinning of the skin. His ARNP stated today that it will clear up with "time." I am not seeing much progress at 7 weeks and would like to know your opinion regarding this.

Hyperpigmentation of the face after laser

+1
Melarase AM and Melarase PM work well in our office to reduce pigmentation associated with aggressive laser treatments. Use the creams twice daily to acheive maximal response. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

IPL for post laser redness

+1

Dear laser patient from Florida,

From your photo this appear to be inflammatory and usually will resolve with time as redness and inflammatory reactions are usually not permanent after this type of procedure.  You may want to inquire about an intense pulsed light treatment that may take the redness out.  Best of Luck

Media Facial Plastic Surgeon

Topical lightening agents plus Retin A is useful for hyperpigmentation following laser resurfacing

+1

Topical lightening agents plus Retin A are useful for hyperpigmentation following laser resurfacing of the face.

Chicago Dermatologist

EpiQuin Micro for post-CO2 pigmentation

+1

I like to use a high quality hydroquinone in follow-up after CO2 to prevent dyspigmentation.  I do appreciate the benefits of erbium lasers for cutting with less heat in treating things like sebaceous hyperplasia.  Still, when you want skin tightening Fractionated CO2 is the best we have.  I think you will get away fine with time and I don't believe high potency steroids will benefit the pigmentation at this point.  Adding a high quality hydroquinone such as EpiQuin micro or Lustra may be beneficial.  Good luck.

Springfield Dermatologic Surgeon