4 Weeks Liposuction Post Op., Am I Still Swollen Or Are These My Final Results?

I had lower abs, flanks and mons pubic liposuctioned 4 weeks 3 days ago. I had more results at 2 weeks then I do now. Is it possible to still be swollen? Seems like results are slowly going and the pubic area 200cc of fat was removed but seems like there is not much of a difference at all. I'm frustrated because I dont "feel" swollen anymore. Is it possible to be swollen still or is this my end result?

Labiaplasty - 4 Weeks Liposuction Post Op., Am I Still Swollen Or Are These My Final Results?

Hi lipogirl77,

The good news is that you don't have your final result at 4 weeks; the bad news is that 200 cc is not that much.

Are you sure that that's all you had removed from those areas?

In my experience, it takes about 4-6 weeks to see 85% of the result, 3 months for 95% and 6 months for the entire result (sometimes even longer).  That assumes that your weight is at or below the pre-surgical weight (depending on how much lipo was done) and that you are otherwise in good health.

If you have not seen adequate results by 6 months (I realize you're almost there) you should be comfortable enough having a discussion with your surgeon, including reviewing pre and post-op photos and anything else you need to do to make yourself comfortable with the surgery you had.  While it is not possible to offer guarantees you should, in general, be able to get a result within a certain range.

And I cannot, of course, make any specific comments concerning your result and what you should look like now without knowing what you looked like before and exactly what was done.  But I would generally be slightly more concerned about your final result in view of the 200cc, than your appearance at 4 weeks.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Residual Swelling Not Uncommon At This Point!

Your history strongly suggests the presence of significant residual swelling. Patients undergoing liposuction will inevitably develop swelling following this procedure. During the procedure, the liposuction cannula is passed through the subcutaneous tissue. This causes disruption of the lymphatic channels and cellular injury, which causes swelling.

Significant improvement in swelling can be seen in the first three weeks following surgery, with the majority gone in about three months.Small amounts of swelling may persist for up to a year following surgery.

We generally recommend the use of compression support garments for about three weeks following surgery.We also recommend a low-salt diet before and after liposuction.Exercise is usually started early in the post-operative period, and we want patients to ambulate as soon as possible following surgery.

Massage is also helpful.It decreases swelling by mobilizing retained fluid following liposuction.All of these steps help to minimize the duration of swelling following liposuction.

In your case, your swelling is probably normal and should resolve with time.Compression, massage, ambulation and low-salt intake will hopefully help you get there sooner.

Liposuction Final Results Takes Several Months

Bruising and swelling are normal in the suctioned areas and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 months to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly the process will proceed. See your plastic surgeon and let them know any concerns you have.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Swollen or final results?

Recovery for liposuction is relatively quick, but bruising and swelling can remain up to two or four weeks. Residual swelling lasts for several months, but it's usually not very apparent. See your surgeon to discuss your results.

Liposuction Results

Maximum swelling is usually within about three to five days after your surgery, and the majority of it along with bruising goes away in two to three weeks. You may feel some firmness, though, for a few months afterward. You can assess your results at three to four months after surgery.
You may not "feel" swollen anymore, but you may be. If you have concerns, please talk to your surgeon. Best of luck!

Results after liposuction

It appears that you got a significant improvement with your liposuction.  In general there is 2.2 pounds per liter of fat removed.    Even at 4 weeks you do have some swelling present. In general you are 50% of the way there at 6 weeks and 80% at 3 months.  Re-evaluate at 6 months and decide if you need additional liposuction.

Liposuction results get better after one month

Absolutely, you can see more improvement after a month through the six month period as collagen increases and contracts the looser tissue that is created after tunnels of fat are removed with liposuction.  Gravity makes the swelling fluids settle in the pubis and it's the last to see the swelling leave.  Be patient and excited about your result. WEar the compression garment if one was recommended. Followup with your surgeon.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Results?

At 4 weeks postop it is still too early to evaluate your final results. I ask patients to wait at least 2 to 3 months to assess the results of the procedure. It may take several months later for the skin to “redrape".

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Swelling after Liposuction

I agree with the other assessments, 4 weeks after liposuction you can still have a lot of swelling in the tissues. I always recommend waiting 4 to 6 months before you see final results. If I understand correctly, the 200cc's was removed just from the pubis. If this is right, then that is a good amount of fat to be removed. 200 cc's for all of the areas would be a very small amount. BUT, if it was just from the pubis region - this is the area that will remain swollen for the longest time, and will take the longest to reach a final result. From your photo - you look really great after the treatment. If, at 6 months, you are still concerned, be sure to go back to your doctor. For my patients, I always want to see them back at 4-6 months to look at results and address any concerns. Some patients do need small touch-ups.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Recovery

4 weeks after surgery is too early to get worried.  Your swelling will continue to go down over the next several months.  If you have any specific concerns, please post pictures or go see your surgeon so they can assess your recovery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD