No Results 2 Months After Liposuction

Was can be the possible reasons why I've seen no results from liposuction after 2 months? I'm 36 yrs old, 5'1, 126 lbs and am very fit. I had lipo to remove stubborn fat deposits on my tummy and inner thighs. I'm confused and out a lot of money.

Soften the Tissues With a Vibrator

+2

It generally takes a full six months to see the full result after liposuction. Continue to exercise.  If you have a little firmness, vibration from a vibrator helps to soften the tissues faster.  

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Need to wait at least another month, may need touchup if unsatisfied

+2

My center performed MRIs on volunteer patients and found that about 67% of the swelling is gone at one month and 85% of the swelling is gone at 3 months.  So you may have about 25% swelling at this point.  Your result depends mainly on the skill and experience of your surgeon.  Some surgeons using very small cannulae or performing liposuction in the office under local anesthetic may not be as aggressive in removing fat.  The ideal is to sufficiently remove the fat but not to overdo it, which is worse.

You should wait at least another month before making any judgments.  If you still are unsatisfied at that time, consideration may be given to a redo liposuction.  All plastic surgeons sometimes perform redo liposuctions including me.  But we also need to allow 3-4 months after surgery, minimum, to ensure swelling has fully resolved.  Many surgeons give a price break on redos or touchups. 

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

The results for thin patients may be masked by swelling

+1

Thank you for the question.  Sometimes when a patient is fairly thin swelling may mask the results.  Of course, it also depends on how much and in what areas your plastic surgeon performed liposuction.  I would continue to wear your compression garment and give it some more time.  Once the swelling has gone away your plastic surgeon can compare your before and after photos and judge the final result.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Liposuction can take up to six months to see benefit.

+1

At two months there may still be swelling to hide the improvement. You can ask the surgeon how much fat was removed from each of the areas and that can tell you that you probably will get some good improvement. There is continued shrinkage of the volume as more collagen is produced over six months and the skin and fat condenses more.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction results

+1

2 months after liposuction may not allow enough time for the tissue retraction to occur.  Your characteristics suggest that you are fairly trim although I do not have any photos before.  In these cases tissue contraction usually will be necessary to see results since smaller actual volumes of fat may have been removed.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Labiaplasty - No Results After 2 Months

+1

Hi tlfleury,

In my experience, it takes about 4-6 weeks to see 85% of the result, 3 months for 95% and 6 months for the entire result (sometimes even longer).  That assumes that your weight is at or below the pre-surgical weight (depending on how much lipo was done) and that you are otherwise in good health.

At 2 months you should, in general, see at least some degree of change.  Of course, I don't know what you looked like and the result of a liposuction depends on what you looked like beforehand, the surgery that is performed, and the way that your body (your skin and subcutaneous tissues) conform to their "new" contour.

If you have not seen adequate results by 6 months (I realize you're almost there) you should be comfortable enough having a discussion with your surgeon, including reviewing pre and post-op photos and anything else you need to do to make yourself comfortable with the surgery you had.  While it is not possible to offer guarantees you should, in general, be able to get a result within a certain range.  If necessary, a revision can be done under local anesthesia although that depends on many factors, including how much needs to be done, in which areas, and how well you might tolerate that (secondary) procedure.  Sorry about that.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

After liposuction care

+1

one month is too early. see your plastic surgeon. if he is a board certified plastic surgeon, trust him to give you the right answer. it may also seem to you that you see no result...the photos often will set your mind at ease.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results

+1

It is entirely possible that it is still too soon to tell.  Without photographs it is hard to tell, however it should be followed with your plastic surgeon so that the two of you can decide if more correction is needed.  Allow time for the swelling to subside. 

Dr. V- South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Seeing No Results From Liposuction Is Very Uncommon

+1

While it is true that the swelling from liposuction can take up to 6 months to completely go away, it is not common in my experience to not see some improvement quite early on. I tell all patients to expect to see some substantial improvement the next day wheh they first take off their garments and some of that will temporarily go away as the swelling sets in. But to see not improvement at all two months after surgery is very unusual. I would wait a full 3 months and go back and discuss your concerns with the doctor who performed the procedure. The only other explanation is that not enough fat was removed during the procedure 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction results

+1

Liposuction results may tak 4-6 months to see. This also depends upon the individual as long as their weight ahs been stable.