Is Silicone An Option For Calf Implants?

I Want Bigger Legs Frim the Knee Down, is Silicone an Option for That? I Want Fuller Calfs and Ankles

Is Silicone An Answer for Fuller Calves and Ankles ?

+1
If you are talking about free silicone injected into the leg, absolutely a dangerous idea and should not be performed. Calf Implants, on the other hand, have become a very popular procedure with exceedingly high patient satisfaction and very low complication rates. Most of the new calf implants are made of a very soft, solid silicone. The implant company should have two distinct implant shapes, one for the medial calf and one for the lateral calf. Only some of the implants, however, are very finely tapered to blend in more seamlessly with the tissues especially when placed in a subfascial plane. Even some of the current implants are too round and thick on the sides to blend nicely, in my opinion. The reality is that calf implants were made and designed to be just that...calf implants. They were not designed to extend into the lower leg. In saying that, i would say that we can cheat to certain degrees and lower the implant to certain degrees in some patients. The fascia that covers the muscle blends and joins the bottom of the gastrocnemius calf muscle. Once that fascia at the bottom is broken through, the implant becomes subcutaneous at that point. Generally one can get away with some of the implant in a deep subcutaneous plane, but once you break completely through the covering and supporting fascia, there is a much greater chance of problems. Problems including inferior displacement, visability of the implant, a more palpable implant, pain, etc. There are some designs that combine a long thin extension to a standard type implant, however those long thin extensions become essentially subcutaneous and are prone to be palpable and movable / unstable. Problems equal dissatisfaction. This is not to say that it always produces a problem or bad result, however, problems and complications are alot more likey. Fat augmentation of the ankle and lower leg is also unpredictable. I inject and transfer fat all over the body very successfully all the time. But the lower leg is more unpredictable. I have seen it do a good job and i have seen it heal without result and even worse with darkening of the skin with firmness, taking months to resolve. To sum it up, calf augmentation with the right implants is a popular and wonderful procedure with low complications. The more you vary from this standard procedure, by attempting to augment the calf into the lower leg, the more likely you are to encounter complications.

Silicone for calf implants

+1
Thank you for your calf implant question.
I only use soft solid silicone implants for the calves.
(If your question is about liquid silicone - answer is never have it done. )
There are now many different sizes and shapes off the shelf.
The implants will not enlarge the ankles but there are long, thin implants that will extend below the muscle bulk to give a tapered look. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Silicone Calf Implants

+1

Various materials are available for creating larger calves, but my favorite is silicone.  These normally are pre-made in sizes small, medium and large and they fit very nicely into the natural pocket that surrounds the calf on either side of the leg.  Therefore, you will get a total of four implants, two per calf.  This surgery takes less than an hour and you will be walking the night of surgery.  Your leg is wrapped with an Ace wrap for about five days and all stitches are out from behind your knee in five days.

Calf augmentations are almost universally successful and very attractive compared to pre-operative photographs.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Calf implants

+1

Calf implants are primarily made of a semi-solid silicone and come in various sizes/dimensions. I usually place two in each calf through a cut in back of the knee.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon