Difference Between Vaginal Rejuvenation with Laser and Without Laser?

What is the difference (besides price) between laser vaginal rejuvenation and vaginal rejuvenation done without the laser technology?

Vaginal Rejuvenation with Laser and Without Laser.

+2

The answer to your question is nothing. There are no clinical differences in healing time, bleeding, complication rates or anything else that have been shown in the literature. Using the laser is a tool that some surgeons like to utilize to cut tissue however, a number of other tools work just as well in achieving the desired outcome. My suggestion to you is to find an experienced surgeon that you are comfortable with and let them guide you in your decision making.

Laser = Gimmick most often.

+2

Except in very specialized circumstances the use of a laser in surgery is more often than not a gimmick. Using a laser to cut the tissue in Labiaplasty offers very little to improve the outcome in my opinion. I have been performing Labiaplasty for nearly ten years and haven't found the need to use a laser yet.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Laser labiaplasty with laser incision causes less bleeding, does not require tissue clamping-more gentle

+2

I have used laser incisions exclusively for the most delicate eyelid plastic surgery operations for the past 15 years.

The delicate labial tissues require the same care, which is why i use the laser labiaplasty technique.

Because the laser seals -closes-many small blood vessels during the incision bleeding is less and thus traumatic clamping of the tissues (which causes a crush injury) is not required. Less trauma and less bleeding means quicker recovery and healing.

Many studies in the past 15 years have proven that the laser incision is less traumatic and produces less scarring than traditional scalpel incisions.

Laser incisions are most useful in delicate thin tissues such as the eyelid and the labia. Thus in labiaplasty, the laser has a definite advantage.

I only perform laser labiaplasty-I would not use a scalpel and clamp on these delicate tisssues.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Vaginal Rejuvenation vs Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation

+1
Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation (LVR) is the trade name for a specific type of vaginal tightening of the Kegel muscles and the perineum designed by Dr David Matlock from Beverly Hills. Matlock has taught this operation to many surgeons. Only surgeons that have been trained by Matlock are legally allowed to use the term LVR or Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation in their advertising. Matlock is a fine surgeon and his LVR is a very thorough and excellent operation. The laser is used as a cutting instrument during the procedure, but the cutting phase constitutes only a tiny piece of a much larger procedure. Certainly, the laser is not essential, but the rest of procedure is what really gives you a reliable vaginal tightening. In brief, it's a brand of vaginal tightening, and a good one at that.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City Cosmetic Gynecologist

"Laser" or "non-laser" vaginal rejuvenation?

+1
Lasers are preferred by some physicians for making incisions for several reasons.  Most notably, they cite less bleeding and more precise incisions compared to a standard surgical scalpel or scissors.  Another technology used for making precise incisions with minimal to no bleeding is radiofrequency (RF) energy.  Regardless of what technique a surgeon chooses, excellent results can be obtained (however, sub-optimal results can happen with any of them too).  I personally prefer using RF energy, although I have had experience with both the scalpel and laser methods.  Radiofrequency energy has been shown to produce less heat injury to the tissue than lasers and shares the benefit of decreased blood loss compared to the scalpel, without the added cost of the laser, since an RF device is a fraction of the cost of a laser device.  Regardless of what technique is used, make sure you are comfortable with the skill and experience of your surgeon.  A good surgeon will give you good results no matter what device you put in his or her hands, because you are really only considering the incision when you evaluate these technologies.  Where those incisions are placed and how they are closed are far more important factors in determining the long-term cosmetic result of the procedure.

W. John Bullis, MD
Bellevue Cosmetic Gynecologist

Are lasers worth it?

+1
A laser is an elegant and expensive cutting/scroling tool.  It is a fine tool.  So is a radiofrequency needle (similar to laser, but different wavelength.)  So is a specialized plastic surgery scissors or a scalpel.

It is more the hand holding the tool than the tool itself.

That said (surgeon most important) laser and radiofrequency (RF) are elegant upgrades and help a good surgeon be even better...

Vaginal Rejuvenation" is an akward term that means different things to different persons.  If you click the "web reference" attached to this answer you will land on a blog I wrote on "perineoplasty" (plastic repair of the opening plus suture elevation of the perineal body and vulvar vestibule.)  Add a vaginoplasty to this and you have so-called "vaginal rrejuvenation."  BUT-- some docs consider the difference between vaginoplasty and Vag rejuv to be the addition of a labiaplasty.  This nomenclature is a mess.

Good luck!

Michael P Goodman MD

Michael P. Goodman, MD, FACOG
Davis Cosmetic Gynecologist

Laser vaginal rejuvanation

+1

Laser is used as the knife. LVR is a GIMICK. Laser means latest technology, therefore it is good... NOT SO.

Dr. Matlock, the doctor who has been pushing for LVR charges $50,000 for his course. Laser is just a tool; many times, the knife is a better tool.

Difference between laser and traditional vaginal rejuvenation.

+1

Essentially as I understand, the laser is used like a knife to cut. Most surgeons tend to use either an electric current or radifrequency device to cut the lining of the vagina. Other than than the laser vaginal rejuevnation procedures are relatively similar. The problem with the laser is that it does not necessarily seal the blood vessels and occasionally on of the other modalities is also required.