Upper Eyelid Fat Grafting for Deepset Eyes?

I have deepset eyes, but over the last couple of years it has gotten worse. Also the skin between my eyes and nose, and my eyelids, has gotten darker and bruised-looking. I know that some of this is due to stress, but it doesn't recede much even during less stressful times. What can I do? Do I need upper eyelid fat grafting?

Fat grafting for upper eyelid

+3

I agree with Dr. Placik. The success to failure ration in fat grafting to the upper lid is small and failed fat grafts in this area are known to form palpable and visible nodules which mar need to be incised.

Another thing you may want to look into, you appear to have Bilateral Levator Dis-insertion / dehiscence. In other words, your lower lids are coming down more than they should resulting in a sleepy tired look and a largely missing transverse upper lid crease (where this muscle attaches to the skin and Tarsal plate(cartilage stiffener) below. This can be fixed by an Oculoplastic or Plastic surgeon and MAY be covered by your insurance.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Fat grafting for deep-set eyes

+1

The deep-set nature of your upper eyelids is in a large part due to eyelid ptosis.  Fat and fillers can be used in the upper eyelids and fillers are probably safer

Sam Naficy, MD

You have eyelid ptosis

+1

As Drs. Aldea and Placik have said, fat grafting is not as easy as it sounds to the upper lids.  Your photo does show eyelid ptosis and you should go to a skilled oculoplastic surgeon for repair.  Just with this, you will look better. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Options for deep set eyes.

+1

There have been artilcles written about this technique. However, this is an area that may be prone to visibility of the grafts. A variety of techniques to limit this possiblity include microfat grafting, lumbrical grafts (sausage shaped), staged placement, etc.

In my opinion, I am not a fan of this technique for your condition but you may want to visit some plastic surgeons who advocate this technique.