Fat Grafting on Lower Eyelids and Rhinoplasty at the Same Time?

Is it possible to do neoplasty (rhinoplasty) surgery and Fat grafting to the lower eyelids at the same time?

I've heard that your eyelids get swollen during and after the nose job. Wouldn't this affect the amount of successful fat cells transferred to the eyelid?

Also, if I lose 20 lbs after the surgery, will that affect the amount of fat in the eyelids?

Fat grafting and rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty and fat grafting are safe to perform at the same time.  If you are planning to lose 20 lbs you should do so before fat grafting.

Fat grafting of lower eyelids can be done at same time as rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to undergo fat grafting at the same time as rhinoplasty. The fat will not shift, move, or migrate, and it should stay in the exact location that it is placed. Plan on two weeks of recuperation since the eyelid surgery and rhinoplasty will be quite swollen for a long period of time. It should not affect the amount of fat cells that are successfully transferred into the eyelids.

Both fat grafting and Rhinoplasty can be done

+1

Dr  fleming is correct. The procedures can be done together, and the fat transfer should be first in order. There will be more eyelid swelling and probably more bruising in the short term, but it will not affect the healing process otherwise.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower Eyelid Fat Augumentation and Rhinoplasty

+1

Fat augmentation of the lower eyelid grooves (liposculpture) and rhinoplasty can be done at the same time.The eyelids should be done first.There will be swelling of the lower lids secondary to both procedures, but this will not compromise the results.

Lower eyelids and Rhinoplasty fat grafting

+1

In general, I would advice performing Fat grafting in the lower eyelids and Rhinoplasty at separate procedures. Thre would be greater predictability in results of the lower eyelids.

Predictability of fat grafts in the lower eyelids is subject to many factors, some of which are unknown. If the lower eyelid depressions are minimal and if there is herniated lower eyelid fat present producing fat prominences, it is possible to use this fat to make fat flaps.

In other words, I would dissect the herniated fat and bring it forward into the depressed areas of the lower eyelids. In my experience, this is preferable to actual fat grafting into the lower eyelids. I have performed lower eyelid Blepharoplasty with fat flap advancements in conjunction with rhinoplasty in many cases with excellent results.

The loss of 20 lbs. after surgery depends on your basic weight. If you are extremely overweight, loss of 20 lbs. would most likely result in no adverse effect.

On the other hand, if you are very thin and underweight, 20 lbs. weight loss is a relatively large amount to lose and might effect a change. By the nature of your question, I assume that you are overweight. The loss of 20 lbs. may not present a problem for you.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and lower eyelid fat grafting

+1

It is certainly possible to perform a rhinoplasty and fat grafting at the same time. However, I would caution you to avoid fat grafting to the lower lid to avoid lumpiness.

Combining lower eyelid Fat Injections and Rhinoplasty not a good idea

+1

As you stated you will get swelling after rhinoplasty and this on the top of the swelling from the fat injection may affect the fat take. The best would be to do the Rhinoplasty and fat grafting later.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to your lower eyelids may be combined with Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I just returned from an excellent meeting about MACS-Lift, short-scar facelift in Gent, Belgium. The course directors do some of the best fat-grafting I've seen. Dr. Tonnard's Rhinoplasty technique is top-notch as well.

Here's a link for more information regarding outstanding facial plastic surgery in Belgium: http://www.coupurecentrum.be/default.aspx?lang=EN

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and lower lid surgery can be done at the same time

+1

I assume you meant rhinoplastic not neoplastic. Fat injections can easily lead to lumps. However, if you are have fat repositioning with eyelid surgery, these can be done at the same time. If you are not having eyelid surgery, then Juvederm is a better choice for the lids and can be done prior to the rhinoplasty.

Fat grafting and rhinoplasty

+1

I am not quite sure what a neoplastic surgery is.

As you state, there will be swelling of the lower eyelids with rhinoplasty alone but this would not limit me from performing a combined procedure as long you understand that you will have prolonged swelling.