How Long to Wait Before Neck Lift Revision?

I had a neck lift 3 weeks ago and under my chin is more wrinkled then before and I have hard lumps that I can see and feel. I had lipo and the muscle repaired, It's not right I can tell and every time I look in the mirror I hate what I see I work in a salon. I just want it fixed, how long of a wait?

Hold the neck revision

+2

The swelling and look that you are having 3 weeks after surgery is very common. It can take 6 months for the lumps and bumps to improve. Massaging the area can help to speed up the process a little more. Keep the lines of communication open with your surgeon and tell him what worries you.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift revision

+1

Being that you are only three weeks post-ooperative from a neck lift, ytou have to give it time to heal. The swelling wil lgo down and perhaps the lumpiness as well.

Wait at least 6 months before a neck lift revision.

+1

Most plastic surgeons will have somewhat variable opinion as to when to provide for a revision or touch-up type procedure after facelift or neck lift surgery.  As a general rule the longer the time-period the greater the ease of a revision surgery can be performed technically and likely the better the result.  Many physicians will recommend a one-year wait period and this is sound advice.  But there is likely a number of physicians who will perform revision procedures earlier, such as in the six month range.  Personally I feel that six months is satisfactory for most instances, although I will take on a case by case basis.  Simple revisions or touch-ups I think can be performed at six months but more complex revision procedures should wait to at least a year time period.

David Q. Santos, MD

Neck lift problems

+1

Hardness, uneveness can occur for a long time(months) after any procedure. I would be very cautious about doing anything else at the moment and probably recommend dilute kenalog injections to accelerate the healing process.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Consider ultrasound along with massage and lymphatic drainage only

+1

This is a normal appearance after necklift procedures and it does resolve more quickly with massage, lymphatic drainage and gentle ultrasound treatment. Allow up to 6 months for final results and do not have revision surgery too soon as this may prolong the swelling and delay the normal healing process. Be patient and follow up with your surgeon.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after neck lift

+1

It's not uncommon to have focal areas of swelling, thickening, or muscle spasm 3 weeks after surgery.  They are all issues that will improve with just patience.  I would also encourage you to wait 6 months before any revision surgery.  Nothing to add in the meantime except massage.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Normal post-operative recovery

+1

After surgery for the neck, it is very normal to get areas of wrinkling and induration early post-operatively.  Twice daily lymphatic massage and compression wear at night will improve results.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Neck lift revision

+1

It is best to wait at least 6 months before revising any deformities of the neck. I suspect some of the irregularities will improve over time with massage. Avoid steroid injections as this will just complicate the picture and cause another problem, fat atrophy. If no significant change occurs by 6 months, revising the neck is safe. You may require fat injections into the central upper neck as well as suturing the platysma in the midline to create a smooth jaw and neckline. I have seen many such cases and have found this effective when surgery is appropriately timed. However, premature surgery could worsen the situation and even be unnecessary.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Neck lift revision for lumps.

+1

Unfortunately, it may take at least 3-6 months for the tightness to go away. I would not use steroid injections on this as it will "dissolve" fat. You may need fat injections if too much fat was removed. Get a second opinion from a very experienced facelift surgeon.