Deep Neck Lines and Folds

I have these really deep lines that go in a circle around my neck. They are hereditary. My father has them and his father had them. I am trying to reduce their number or get rid of them all. Whenever I talk to people this is what they stare at first. I have tried using a product called rejuveneck but I am seeing no results. As I age the folds get deeper. I have tried exercise and everything but they just won't disappear. Please help.

Horizontal neck folds

+3
The lines that are present in your neck are simply congenital horizontal neck folds that everyone has. Yours are just more prominent. They will not go away with a facelift. They cannot be surgically excised and removed. It is best to just leave them alone and no facial creams are going to help with this problem either. for many examples of what a neck lift can accomplish in our practice, please see the link below.

Options for Neck Folds: Liposuction, Neck Lift, Fat Injections

+1

This probably represents a congenital abnormality of the skin and subcutaneous tissue. The cause of the problem isn’t clear and the best treatment is even less clear. Options might include fat injections, liposuction and possibly a neck lift. Although your pictures are helpful a physical exam will be necessary for a more definitive treatment plan. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Deep Neck Folds

+1

You appear to have a rather unusual problem; the lines are very deep. There are several options you could try from fat injections, fillers, liposuction or even a neck lift but without a thorough exam it is difficult to determine the best option. At my practice, Cape Fear Aesthetics, we always recommend a patient comes in for a thorough consultation, which at my cosmetic practice, are always complimentary. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of horizontal neck lines

+1

Fillers may benefit you but you would want to consider a semi permanent filler or fat injections, but you would be best off having a necklift and liposuction to your neck first to reduce the depth of the folds as much as possible. Hyaluronic acids like Restylane will cost you a lot of money and would require treatment every 6 months at least. 

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Treatment of deep creases around the neck

+1

This is not a common problem and these creases almost look like joint creases on the palm side of the fingers. Therefore the crease is likely a result of a combination of tissue under the skin and skin itself factors. That is to say these creases are missing some of the deep layers of the skin as well as some of the normally present fat under the skin and may have anomalous connections between the undersurface of the skin and the deeper tissues. All 3 need to be addressed in treating the creases.

Injecting fillers will be expensive over time and probably not give you a uniform result. These creases are below the level of the adam's apple (which is lower than the normal extent of dissection for a face/neck lift procedure) and extend around to the back of the neck (beyond the reaches of a normal face/neck lift). Also from the photos you appear to be darker skinned so any approach employed needs to account for your skin's greater tendency to scar than the average lighter skin colored caucasian.

The treatment would then be an extended face/neck lift placing incisions around the ear and in the crease under the chin. This would lift the skin off the underlying soft tissue and disrupt any anomalous connective tissue between the undersurface of the skin and the deeper tissues. After removing some skin from the bottom edge of the incision and closing that will also flatten the peaks of skin between the creases. Direct manipulation of the creases from the undersurface with grafts and or sutures may further help to reduce the depth of the crease. Because the creases extend around the side of the neck towards the back the incision on the side of the head would have to extend much further than with the usual face/neck lift. The incision around the ear would have to be omega shaped so it is less visible with short hair. I am not sure any safe plastic surgeon would be willing to extend his/her incisions that far back on the side of the head.

I had a similar case years ago of a patient who had fillers injected into the neck in Asia. After some time the normal neck motions caused the filler to collect in specific bands around the neck. The difference was that the deeper areas were not creases like you have and the process did not extend around the side to the back of the neck. Liposuction of the filler and face/neck lift improved the condition significantly but did not completely get rid of the banding.

In short if you just do fillers, just do a regular face/neck lift or even if you do both of these I do not think it will fix the problem. The worst thing to do would be to directly cut out the creases as that would leave you with visible scars that look less natural than a crease.

Your case is very interesting. Thank you for submitting it with a photo.

Aaron Stone, MD

Deep neck lines can be helped with surgery or fillers.

+1

You can have fillers done to help, but the cost over time is quite a bit. A better choice would be liposuction with or without a neck lift. That would depend on how the tissue feels. You would still need some form of grafting for the residual lines which can be done at he same time.

Deep vertical neck wrinkles

+1

This is a very unusual problem.

An examination would be very necessary. Perhaps a combination of a face and necklift with liposuction might help you, followed by grafting of fat into the depressed areas at a second stage.

Filler can be done on a temporary basis but will quite expensive to maintain.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Fillers help with deep neck creases

+1

Juvederm or Restylane do well to fill in deep neck creases and usually require 2-3 sessions so as not to over do it and get lumpy. Cost is roughly $550 per syringe and expect to use 3-5 syringes.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck lines

+1

The lines that you have in the neck will not goaway with a neck lift.  These are something that you will have to live with.

Neck lift may help lines

+1

Yours is an unusual problem because they are very deep and circular. What treatment would depend on what result you wish to achieve. If just temporary improvement, then a filler of some sort but you would need a lot and it would go away within months in most cases. Fat injections could help also but again probably not permanent.

A neck lift could help and the most radical solution but one that would probably work best is the just excise and convert several of those lines into one. Unfortunately, you would have a scar but it looks like you have scars now. But, you could end up with bad scar in about 20% of cases.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon