Under the Muscle Placement for 300cc-320cc Breast Implants?

I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon today for Breast implants. I am a B cup but one side is larger and a bit saggy, a full B, the other is smaller.

He suggested that he put 300cc-320cc in the bigger side to fill it out. On the other whatever needed to bring it to the same level. The strange thing, he said, even though he prefers putting implants under the muscle, in my case, he thinks that my chest area is small and it won't hold it.

I thought that it would need to be under the muscle if it is heavy?

Placement of implants above or below the muscle may depend of several factors

+2

The ultimate decision to place implants above or below the pectoral muscle may depend on several factors, including the type of implant(saline, traditional gel, form stable gel), the amount and quality of overlying breast tissue, pre existing shape and form of the breast and potentially several others based on your unique anatomy, desires and expectations. For the most part the decision to place below the muscles has little to do with the weight of the implant. Your surgeon should be able to explain the options to you in a way that you can participate in the decision making, and evaluate the trade offs of the various choices. If it wasn't clear go back for a second consult and perhaps get several opinions.

Under muscle breast implants

+1

Most plastic surgeons will electively place implants under the muscle, or partially under the muscle, (dual plane approach).  This is dependent on what works in the hands of your plastic surgeon, and what your individual case may be.  It is OK to get a couple of opinions.  The opinions may be different.  That is again OK as that surgeon matches his experience to your individual issue.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Implant pocket

+1

In most cases I prefer a dual plane approach( under the muscle superiorly) to camouflage the upper pole.

Breast Implants under the muscle.

+1

Hi!

When we need to correct asymmetry of the breasts and some sagging, we usually do breast augmentation by placing the implants over the muscle, because it enables us to shape the breasts more precisely.  So I agree with your surgeon, although I don't know his reasoning.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)