Possible to Reduce Large Eyes?

My eyes are quite large can it be reduced to normal?

Cosmetic surgery is possible but things have to be checked

+1

It appears from the photo that you have a combination of prominent eyeballs combined with an lower orbital rim that does not project as forward. It could be a totally normal thing for you as this could be the bone structure you have inherited from your parents. If you have looked like this your whole life that is more likely. If this is a new change you do need to see what the cause of this is from your ophthalmologist. To fix this problem, raising the lids higher or even cheeks higher to help can be useful.

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Issue here is the lower orbital rim.

+1

Dear Malay

Your issue is that you have poor projection of the lower orbital rim. This portion of the facial skeleton represents the top of the cheek. As a result you lack projection at the top of the cheek. This normally supports the lower eyelid and top of the cheek soft tissue. Since this is relatively weak, your lower eyelid sags exposing the white below the cornea (colored part of the eye). The overall effect is to make your eye look big. The fix is improving the projection of the top of the cheek with the placement of an orbital rim implant. While there are pre-made implants for this purpose, I favor hand carving orbital rim implants made from ePTFE. I suggest that you look at my website for more information on this procedure: lidlift.com

Blepharoplasty for "Large Eyes"

+1

Dear Malay, great question! There are several procedures for shaping the eyes- reduction of orbital contents, microfat grafting, cheek augmentation with fillers, cheek implants.

You first need an eye check up and your thyroid checked- the prominence of your eyes can be due to a condition of the thyroid gland.

Good Luck,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Large eyes may be proptosis - you need an exam by an Ophthamologist

+1

Your eyes are promenent because of the shape of your eye socket and cheek bone.

Bulging eye is called proptosis and is inherited.

I would be very careful about considering correction. Any operation on the lower eyelid can worsen the condition and cause an ectropion which is a downward pull of the loer eyelid which can cause exposure problems of the eye.

While cheek implants or fat grafts can camouflage the problem they also risk pulling the lower eyelid down and causing an ectropion.

An exam by an ophthamologist can diagnose the cause of the proptosis. Some reversable conditions, such as a thyroid disorder, should be ruled out.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Prominent eyes are genetic

+1

Hello

Prominent eyes can not be altered, but one can alter the surrounding environment. That is, you could potentially have some cheek implants to reduce the appearance of prominent eyes. You need to consult with a specialist who has done this before and you should review several before/after photos. Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Not likely

+1

The photo looks like a wide angle lense and looks distorted.  You also appear to have weak cheek bones.  Perhaps a oculoplastic surgeon could help with the eyes, and perhaps a cheek inplant would help to conceal their prominence..

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

You need to diagnosis the underlying cause of your prominent eyes before pursuing cosmetic surgery.

+1

It is important to determine if there is underlying disease contributing to your prominent eyes before embarking on corrective surgery.

You may have Graves disease, a disorder of the thyroid gland. This will need to managed medically.

The treatment of prominent eyes (exophthalmos) is dictated by the underlying cause. Once thyroid function is normal and you are medically cleared for surgery, decompression of the orbit (bony eyes socket) may be performed. This procedure will allow the globes (eyeballs) to recess back into their sockets, affording a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.

Beware of any surgeon who recommends blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) without first completing a full medical workup. MH

James C. Grotting, MD, FACS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon