Ultrasonic Liposuction

What is ultrasonic liposuction or ultrasound-assisted lipo?  Are they the same thing?  

Ultrasonic or Smart Liposuction

+5

people in Beverly Hills & Los Angeles are bombarded by radio advertisments about Smart Liposuction or Ultrasonic Liposuction. They ask me if this technicque of liposuction is superior to other methods of liposuction. I have personally trided several different methods of liposuction on my patients and its my professional opionion and smart liposuction or ultrasonic liposuction do'nt have any advantage to tumesecent liposuction. In fact, they have the added risk and complications of burning, nerve damage, and scarring.

Ultrasonic Liposuction = Ultrasonic Assisted Lipoplasty

+3

These are terms that are used to denote the same process. There are many different options for liposuction.

1) Liposuction or Suction assisted lipectomy (SAL, Liposculpture, Etching)

2) Power assisted liposuction (PAL)

3) Ultrasonic Assisted Lipoplasty (UAL, requires liposuction as well)

4) Laser assisted lipolysis LAL (liposuction recommended by some).

The ultrasonic liposuction destroys or ruptures fat cells by a process called cavitation, in which water bubbles are repitively formed/collapsed by the mechanical force of the ultrasonic probe. This destroys the cells but does not remove them. Liposuction is used to evacuate the ruptured cells.

Ultrasonic liposuction is just one modality to perform...

+3

Ultrasonic liposuction is just one modality to perform liposuction. It uses ultrasound energy to melt the fat.

Some of the potential complications from this technique are burns and seromas that one does not see as often with more traditional techniques.

It is thought that ultrasonic liposuction may work better on areas of more fibrous-type fat like the back and flank area as well as possibly leading to better skin contraction possibly from the heat.

Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction

+2
Ultrasound assisted liposuction is an option for many patients who are considering liposuction.   I think there is a lot of hype about liposuction technologies, so it's important to take some of the claims from manufacturers with a grain of salt.  However, I find that for certain patients, ultrasound can be a terrific option that allows me to accomplish better results.  

Ultrasound assisted liposuction involves an ultrasound device that is used to break up the fat cells prior to suction being used to remove fat tissue.  Particularly in fibrous areas on the body or in areas where we would like to accomplish a little more skin tightening, this can be a very good option.  

John K. Wakelin III, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Ultrasonic Liposuction for you?

+2

Liposuction removes fat from the body.  There are many ways to do this.  The idea is to do this safely.   I have safely used ultrasonic liposuction techniques to remove unwanted fat for over 10 years.  Ultra means high energy.   Sonic means sound.   Therefore using high energy sound waves fat can be removed from the body.   Using ultrasonic liposuction, fat can be removed with less trauma to the surrounding tissues with far less blood loss and less post-operative swelling.   Larger volumes of fat can be removed more safely.  In my hands the surgery takes no longer but yields better results.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Ultrasound liposuction and ultrasound-assisted liposuction

+2

Both use a pizelecrtic crystal to generate ultrasound which is very specific to fat dissolving. Dissolved fat is then liposuctioned the traditional way. It is an old method well documented in many research and peer reviewed papers.

Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction

+2

Ultrasound assisted liposuction works by a process known as cavitation, wherein ultrasound waves are used to break up the fat cells into oil droplets prior to aspiratoin. The results are better in that the skin and subcutaneous fat may shrink slightly after the surgery.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Ultrasonic Liposuction

+1
Ultrasonic assisted liposuction (UAL) and ultrasonic liposuction are the same thing. It is a popular treatment option for the removal of stubborn fat deposits. The technique liquefies (and aid in the removal of) fat. The application of ultrasonic energy waves is able to selectively destroy adipose (fatty) tissue while also loosening its cellular structure. UAL is highly adaptable, allowing patients to treat either small areas (without harming important surrounding tissue) or work to create more noticeable, body-wide transformations. Ultrasonic therapy improves on traditional liposuction techniques by causing far less intra-operative blood loss, limiting post-operative bruising and providing fat removal in areas of the body that are typically difficult to treat successfully.

The ultrasound fat removal procedure is extremely safe and minimally invasive. Ultrasonic liposuction is also an ideal form of treatment for patients who have previously undergone liposuction, but require revisionary work or further body contouring.   

Skin tightening is a positive side effect of UAL. During the procedure, the ultrasonic probe gently stimulates skin. This stimulation prompts the skin to retract better to the new contours of the treated area, which has been reduced in size by the removal of fat. Due to tissue composition, the upper arms or  back rolls often achieve the best results, as well as the inner knees and flanks (the ‘love handles’). This is unlike traditional liposuction, which frequently leaves the skin loose and saggy, unable to retract.

Please note that the extent of a patient's skin tightening results depends on their quality of skin and age.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Same thing

+1
These are the same techniques. There may not be any advantage for you to use assisted liposuction.  You need to see a board certified plastic surgeon to have an evaluation.  Tumescent liposuction is a very safe, predictable method of sculpting the body without the additional risks associated with ultrasonic tools.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Ultrasonic Liposuction - What is It and What it Does

+1

A large number of liposuction techniques are currently available for treating localized areas of fat. These techniques have specific indications and are often associated with unique advantages and disadvantages.

Ultrasonic liposuction which is also known as ultrasonic assisted liposuction utilizes high energy sound waves to destroy fat cells. This process is known as cavitation and results in the formation of an oily material which is then removed by standard liposuction techniques.

In the vast majority of situations, ultrasonic liposuction offers no significant advantages over tumescent liposuction. However, when fat deposits are associated with fibrous tissue ultrasonic liposuction may offer unique advantages. This technique is therefore often utilized in the flanks and chest of men.

If you’re considering ultrasonic liposuction, it’s important to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon. This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan for your condition.  

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon