How Much Does Liposuction Cost?

How much does lipo surgery usually cost? Do you get discounts for the lipo price if you get lipo on multiple areas?

California Liposculpting Estimates

+9

As you may have guessed, liposuction fees vary a lot and rarely will you get a quote over the phone because so many variables are involved. It depends on the size of the area and the amount of anticipated work to do the job as well as the technique involved. The tumescent technique with micro canulas give by far the best results and are worth the extra cost of the procedure.

Many physicians have not kept up with all the latest improvements happening with liposuction. Twenty years ago we all did liposuction under general anesthesia with bigger canulas which required making incisions and left more waviness and dimpling with saggy skin. None of that is done anymore by those who specialize in the procedure. If your doc uses general anesthesia or makes incisions which requires suturing, then that tells you that he is doing the old traditional liposuction with the bigger canulas. The procedure is safer with you awake and comfortable. You just get up and walk out after the procedure. There are no incisions either, only needle sticks now so no big scars anymore. Recovery is quicker and easier and you are back to work in 2 days or less and your skin actually tightens or shrinks.

Here are some estimates:

Neck / jawline liposuction $2500; Abdomen-upper and lower $5000-6000; Abdomen with hips and sides $6000-7000; Abdomen with love handles $5000-6000; Inner and outer thighs, knees and buttocks $6000-7000; inner and outer thighs, lower buttocks, knees, calves and ankles $7000-8000; Midback ,axillae(armpit areas), arms $5000-5500; ADD $750-1000 for operating room fee/ surgery ; There is NO anesthesia fee required. We want you to have a good experience during your procedure.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction prices are different for different surgeons

+6

Unfortunately cost is one of those things that is all over the board.

• First, depending on where you live determines what the market will bear - NY is more expensive than Omaha.
  • Next the cost of the facility where it is done differs.
  • Age and experience of the surgeon may be a factor.
  • Next, area vs time.
  • Finally, the most important, surgeon ego plays a big roll.

For example, for me, liposuction of the abdomen, at a hospital, would run approximately $3800-$4100. For others this might be double that.

High price does not mean a good surgeon or good surgery. Also, if it's a low price is it a factory? Wouldn't you rather have a hand-made Bentley rather than a assembly line Fiat? Be sure it's a Board Certified PLASTIC Surgeon! I've seen some horrible things from ob/gyns.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

The Skinny on Lipo Cost

+4

The average cost for one area should range from about $4000 to $6000 depending on the size of the area, anesthesia, where you live, expertise of the surgeon etc.

What is "an area?" Abdomen (meaning the entire abdomen from over the rib-cage to the pelvic region), Waist (Love Handles or Flanks), Outer Thigh (both), Inner Thigh (both), Upper Arms (both), Neck/Jawline etc.

Generally cost decreases when more than one are is treated at a time. For example, First area may be $4400, second area $2250, third area $1500.

I have seen crazy pricing structures - where the practice will say "$999" per area - when they are dividing the abdomen up into 3 separate areas. In my opinion, the entire abdomen should be done as one unit unless there are real extenuating circomstances.

You shouldn't look for the cheapest deal for liposuction. The cost will mirror the experience and expertise of the surgeon. You should look for a doctor with significant experience and training. They should also have a good stable team of nurses with experience, good before and after images, and previous patients that you can call.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Cost of Liposuction

+3

The cost of liposuction depends on the number of areas involved. The more areas that require surgery, the higher the cost. 

At The Plastic Surgery Clinic, the basic fee for liposuction is $5900. Each additional area is $1000 more. So for example liposuction of the tummy and both hips would cost $6900. Make sure your quoted fee includes the surgical fee, anesthesia fee, surgical facility fee and all follow up. 

Frank Lista, MD

How Much Does Liposuction Cost?

+3

Use cost as the last deciding factor in choosing your surgeon. The very expensive plastic surgeons are not necessarily the best. This is the order in which I recommend you ought to make your choice:

1. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon 

2. At least 5 years of independent experience in this procedure with consistently good results and very low revision rate. You should ask for this information right out. The right surgeon would not be offended by you asking for this information.

3. Affiliated with a reputable hospital.

4. Ask others, especially operating room nurses if you know any, for recommendations. Patient who have undergone this procedure previously are also an excellent source of information and recommendation.

5. Price. One who has a fixed price and does not reduce his/her fee if you have more areas treated. in deciding the number of areas to be treated be guided foremost by safety. More, if it passes the safety criteria should not cost less. If somebody charges less the more work he has to do then he is trying to sell you something and surgery is not a commodity that you try to sell. I charge $2000 for each area, paired areas(i.e. right and left) are counted as one area, 50% of this fee for each subsequent area. Usually the anesthesia fee is $750 to $1500 depending on the number of areas to be treated (I use Board Certified Anaesthesiologists or CRNAs if I am familiar with their safety record. Most CRNAs are very good and very safe and kind) The facility fee is usually $1500 to $2000 for one area or more.  For small areas I charge a fee of $2500 inclusive of all other charges and I do not use general anesthesia for these cases. In selected patients who want to reduce the total cost and are suitable for having the procedure done under local anesthesia with PO sedation I do one area per session and the sessions are  at least 3 days apart.  I work out a total fee as above for the number of areas; there is no charge for anesthesia and the facility  fee is a  very reduced fee for each session but all fees for the anticipated sessions are paid in advance.   

Gurmander Singh Kohli, MD, FACS
Huntington Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Cost

+3

The cost of liposuction surgery is usually dependent on several factors: the surgeon's fee, the operating room, the anesthesia, and the number of areas being treated. The cost of liposuction also varies from city to city. Though the price is very important in a patient's decision to have surgery, it is always important to find the right surgeon for you. If you look hard enough, you can always find cheap surgery. However, that may not be the right choice.

T.Y. Steven Ip, MD

How Much Does Liposuction Cost?

+2

Liposuction is the fastest growing procedure in USA. The goal of liposuction is to improve body's contour by removing presistant fat deposits that just will not go away. It has become a very safe out-patient procedure, and can be done under local, sedation or general anesthesia depending on the amount of liposuction performed and patient's anxiety level. Costs vary from region to region but depend on the number of areas treated. Usually starts from $3500 for the first area and each additional area can cost around $1000 to $2500. Most surgeon also supply the garment that must be worn after liposuction.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

The total cost for liposuction depends on the number of areas targeted.

+2

The basic fee for one area is $6200 and each additional area is calculated based on the amount of time necessary to address.  There is a limit as to the volume of fat that can be safely removed in one setting. 

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Liposuction Pricing

+2

Great question. Pricing for liposuction (like most cosmetic surgeries) typically includes 3 different charges: the surgeon's fee (you're paying for their expertise, time, and labor), anesthesiologist fee (you are closely monitored by a professional anesthesiologist while under general anesthesia), and facility fee (the operating room, the tools, the staff, the nurses, etc.) Our professional fees for liposuction are $1,500 per area (however, we consider the entire abdomen as technically two areas, upper & lower). The national average for surgeon's fees are around $2,200 for one area (i.e. full abdomen), $4,600 for two areas (i.e. full abdomen & both inner thighs), and $7,000 for five areas. Anesthesia fees usually range between $300 - $600 per hour, so the total price would depend on how long your surgery takes (varies from patient to patient). Lastly, facility fees are also usually calculated per hour so it would vary based on the patient (can range anywhere from about $800 - $1,500 per hour). It is standard in most practices to receive a discount when you are considering more than 1 area of liposuction.

Edward P. Miranda, MD

Liposuction cost

+2

Liposuction costs vary depending on the amount of time it will take to complete the procedure. The cost has three components to consider:

• the fee for the surgeon
  • the fee for the anesthesiologist
  • the fee for the use of the operating room and equiptment costs.

In general, traditional liposuction with syringe is the least expensive.

There are many different kinds of liposuction being advertised - Smart lipo, Cool lipo, Ultrasonic lipo, Vaser lipo, etc. Please remember it is not the technique that is important, it is the quality of the surgeon!

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon