Ultrasonic Cleaner for Invisalign Trays?

What is the best way to clean my Invisalign braces? Do you recommend using an ultrasonic cleaner like you use with dentures?

Keeping invisalign aligners clean

In my practice we instruct our invisalign patients to soak their aligners in a solution of 50% water and 50% hydrogen peroxide (3% H202) for 5-7 minutes and then brush them with a soft toothbrush. We have found that this is very effective and inexpensive. It is very important to keep your aligners free of plaque that will cause cavities and bad breath.

Encinitas Cosmetic Dentist

Cleaning Invisalign

Step one is proper oral hygiene (I always tell my patients whatever you have been doing up until starting invisalign for a fresh healthy mouth... double it).
Second is to NEVER eat or drink with your aligners in place and try to brush or at minimum rinse with water after snacking and eating.
Step three is to go to the OAPCLEANER website and get a 3 month supply. This cleaner works great.
I have found, the best way to keep the aligners clean from bacteria, viruses and fungi is with the use of a product called OAP Cleaner.
OAP provides instant cleaning of Invisalign and it takes only 60 seconds to use. The carefully formulated, proprietary cleaning solution is effective at cleaning and sanitizing all types of orthodontic appliances. It has clinically been shown to kill 99.99% of all viruses, bacteria, fungi and germs on contact. It also removes stains, plaque and offensive odors. The use of a brush to scrub and rid these critters and plaque off of your aligners
together with OAP to sanitize and clean your aligner is the way to go.
OAP is BPA, persulfate and chlorine-free, and is completely safe to use on Invisalign, as well as Invisalign storage containers. It is a gentle and mild cleaning agent that won’t cause discoloration of the plastic or result in abrasion of any surface material.

Cleaning Invisalign Trays

I recommend cleaning Invisalign trays with a toothbrush and toothpaste in cool water. An ultrasonic cleaner with the “crystals” that are suggested for use by Invisalign, work very well also.

Janet H. Stoess-Allen, DMD
New York Orthodontist

Cleaning Invisalign trays

an ultrasonic cleaner is excellent. I recently found a new product I am in love with called Dentapod. We sell the for $35 and happy to send you one. Google it for a look or go to Happyorthodontist.com

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

Invisalign trays are discarded before they get really stained

While there are many methods to clean the aligners, it may be overkill, as the aligners are only worn for 2 weeks at a time.  Long term appliances, like the Vivera retainers, can get discolored and usually are easily cleaned with a toothbrush and water.  Some have reported using denture cleaners, but I don't know the "official" line from Invisalign.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

An ultrasonic is a great way to keep aligners fresh

Most cleaning protocols with Invisalign involve using a toothbrush with water only.  Toothpaste is not recommended due to the abrasives that can create microgrooves in the aligners. 

The ultrasonic cleaner, used once or twice a week, will help loosen any hardened material on the aligners.  They can then be brushed with water and be kept extremely clean.

This is anectdotal, but I wore my first set of Vivera retainers nightly for about a year.  Using the protocol above, they still looked pretty clean when I was done with them... and much better than what we see from some patients after 2 weeks of wear!

Jason K. Tam, DDS
Toronto Orthodontist

Yes it will work

Ultrasonic cleaners with a cleaning agent like RetainerBrite is a terrific way to clean appliances.  Cheap battery operated ones will do the job.  I hand one out to every Invisalign patient.

Daniel W. Schiavone, DDS
Rochester Cosmetic Dentist