Ultrasonic Cleaner for Invisalign Trays?

What is the best way to clean my Invisalign braces? Do you recommend using an ultrasonic cleaner like you use with dentures?

Keeping invisalign aligners clean

+2

In my practice we instruct our invisalign patients to soak their aligners in a solution of 50% water and 50% hydrogen peroxide (3% H202) for 5-7 minutes and then brush them with a soft toothbrush. We have found that this is very effective and inexpensive. It is very important to keep your aligners free of plaque that will cause cavities and bad breath.

San Diego Cosmetic Dentist

Cleaning Invisalign Trays

+1

I recommend cleaning Invisalign trays with a toothbrush and toothpaste in cool water. An ultrasonic cleaner with the “crystals” that are suggested for use by Invisalign, work very well also.

Janet H. Stoess-Allen, DMD
New York Orthodontist

Cleaning Invisalign trays

+1

an ultrasonic cleaner is excellent. I recently found a new product I am in love with called Dentapod. We sell the for $35 and happy to send you one. Google it for a look or go to Happyorthodontist.com

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

Invisalign trays are discarded before they get really stained

+1

While there are many methods to clean the aligners, it may be overkill, as the aligners are only worn for 2 weeks at a time.  Long term appliances, like the Vivera retainers, can get discolored and usually are easily cleaned with a toothbrush and water.  Some have reported using denture cleaners, but I don't know the "official" line from Invisalign.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

An ultrasonic is a great way to keep aligners fresh

+1

Most cleaning protocols with Invisalign involve using a toothbrush with water only.  Toothpaste is not recommended due to the abrasives that can create microgrooves in the aligners. 

The ultrasonic cleaner, used once or twice a week, will help loosen any hardened material on the aligners.  They can then be brushed with water and be kept extremely clean.

This is anectdotal, but I wore my first set of Vivera retainers nightly for about a year.  Using the protocol above, they still looked pretty clean when I was done with them... and much better than what we see from some patients after 2 weeks of wear!

Jason K. Tam, DDS
Toronto Orthodontist

Yes it will work

+1

Ultrasonic cleaners with a cleaning agent like RetainerBrite is a terrific way to clean appliances.  Cheap battery operated ones will do the job.  I hand one out to every Invisalign patient.

Daniel W. Schiavone, DDS
Rochester Cosmetic Dentist