Does it Make a Big Difference Who Performs Ulthera on You?

Is it so important who does Ulthera treatment - plastic surgeon, dermatologist or even nurse? I see here very different results and I wonder why somebody have good results and many any improvement even if they are 30 , 35 or 40 years old. What do the results depend on?

Ulthera provider - does it matter who performs service?

I have had Ultherapy in my practice since 2011, and I have found that my own results have improved with time as I have learned to customize and taylor my protocols to each patient.  I do have aestheticians that provide Ulthera but I also do a fair number of patients myself.  I have found that very soon after I received the device, I started increasing the amount of energy used to where I was using twice the recommended protocol.  This made a big difference in outcomes.  Ulthera then changed their protocol to increase the overall amount of energy towards the end of 2012.  Since then, I have further increased the amount of energy we deliver to patients.  I work very closely with my aestheticians and often develop the treatment plan together, even if they perform the procedure.  This way, I get to help customize the plan for the individual patient.

One thing to bear in mind, when you go to a core board certified aesthetic provider (e.g. Plastic Surgeon, Dermatologist), they are usually the ones leading advancing the use of these technologies.  The technology companies, however, need to grow so they quickly start selling to a lot of non-core customers.  So I would say it does matter what type of practice you go to, and how involved the the doctor is with your consultation and treatment plan.

Ultherapy and facial tightening / lifting may be related to the provider

The non invasive tightening and lifting of facial features with Ultherapy ultrasound treatment has evolved over the last several years. Newer transducers allow different levels of the dermis to be treated giving, potentially, a better result. To say that a doctor does a better treatment than a nurse would not be valid if that doctor isn't using the newest technologies available. There are developments also in the technique that the provider may or may not have been practicing.

Physicians are able to modify the treatment customized to the individual patient's concerns. Some people are asymmetric and the treatment can purposely be delivered with greater lines of Ultherapy in the areas that deserve more attention.

Experience is important. Knowledge of anatomy is important and communication with the patient. If a nurse is doing the procedure in a doctor's office, then the doctor(s) are usually supervising the treatment in the sense of ensuring that the nurse is trained adequately. Requirments allowing or not allowing nurses to provide such treatment is regulated by each state differently.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

The results from Ultherapy depend upon the technique used by the provider

The results from Ultherapy depend upon the technique used by the provider. In our office, our nurse provides Ultherapy because she has extensive experience with it and is a consultant and works with the company that developed the technology. Plastic surgeons, dermatologists, and nurses can all perform the procedure.  However, their knowledge and experience with the technology determines what frequency they will use for each individual situation which will ultimately determine the success of the results. If a practice offers Ultherapy, make sure the machine is being used consistently and that you have the treatment by a provider that is most proficient in its use.

Does it Make a Big Difference Who Performs Ulthera on You

The question of who does a procedure is a complicated one, encompassing many questions regarding qualifications, training, and patient customer service. In general Ulthera has an excellent program to train interested physicians and nurses on performing the procedure. The device is very intuitive, and allows for good control as one does a treatment.

However, in my practice, I have often noted that with ablative technologies like Ulthera, having a practitioner who has extended experience with these technologies can help achieve better results. The ability to visualize tissue response and make subtle adjustments in the treatment protocol can greatly enhance the outcomes. 

Farhan Taghizadeh, MD
Albuquerque Facial Plastic Surgeon

Experience counts

Although standard therapeutic protocol is similar, there are many "expert" treatment protocols that can be performed by an experience Ultherapy provider.  I do recommend that you search well experienced medical professional.

Chang Son, MD
Fort Lee Dermatologist

Who should do Ultherapy ?

Ultherapy is a great procedure and in my opinion is very dependent on the provider. Whoever you choose to perform the procedure should be someone who has done many and understands the way the technology works and uses various vectors of treatment - the lines that are routinely used and custom lines of treatment that are not necessarily 'up and down the face and neck'. 

Read the Ultherapy book provided on the link below. 

Ulthera Practitioners

The FDA-cleared Ultherapy procedure has been established to be safe and effective in clinical studies and tens of thousands of patient treatments worldwide. In addition, every Ultherapy practitioner undergoes extensive hands-on training, so you can schedule your Ultherapy procedure with complete confidence. In selecting a practitioner, it is important to find someone who is experienced and has achieved positive results with his or her patients. It does not matter so much whether it is a doctor or nurse, but rather their expertise or experience. 

I think it matters a ton!

I think it is really important to search for a doctor that is experienced in this procedure.  I personally belive that perfomring a good thourough treatment is technically challenging.  Look for an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon and make sure that it is that person that performs it.  you are spending a lot of money and dont settle for a nurse or an aesthetician.  Ask for their credentials.  How long have they been doing it?

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Results from Ultherapy depend on several factors

Ulthera, which uses micro-focused ultrasound for noninvasive skin lifting, works by precise placement of thermal stimulation under the skin. The body responds to this by remodeling the collagen layer, so because it is ultimately the body's response that determines the result there is some inherent variability. Age, thicklness of the skin, and other factors are probably more important than who does the procedure provided that they are well-trained. However, Ultherapy must be done under the supervision of a physician if the doctor does not do it.

Richard Baxter, MD

Variability in results, is it user dependent?

Anyone using Ulthera goes through some standard courses provided by the company on how to use it. That being said, there are risks with using any devise and there are many variables, some of which are user dependent, and others risks are related to how well trained the user is in anatomy and the physics behind using the devise.

Anatomy- There are areas where nerves reside and it is important to avoid hitting a sensory or motor nerve with the deep transducer. Ulthera is the only devise that can reach the deeper tissue planes and nerve injury is a possibility if not performed correctly. Superficial transducers are safe to use in all areas of the face except around the eyelids.

Anesthesia- Some feel the pain induced by Ulthera treatments is significant, and if the patient isn't properly treated, with oral meds, topical and/or subcutaneous anesthesia, nitrous oxide, etc there can be problems treating them. If the patient is uncomfortable and moves or jerks during firing the transducer the transducer can lift from the skin producing an epidermal injury. I believe most of the injuries reported around the posterior jaw line, or along the jaw line are related to lifting of the transducer from the skin. The pain is most intense along bony areas, such as the jaw, temple and forehead.

Upside down- Understanding the device, the transducer is filled with water and there are bubbles within the water. The ultrasound head slides back and forth along an arm firing the sound waves through the water, through the gel on the face and focused in the dermis or deep tissues of the skin. If the transducer is turned upside down the bubbles interfere with sound transmission and cutaneous injury may occur. Again, this usually occurs along and under the jaw line. This often manifests as small welts, or as small white dots. Often this resolves quickly within hours to a few days.

Individual Protocols- Many of us have developed or personalized the use of Ulthera to the patient. If the neck is more lax we will use more passes along these regions with the superficial or deep transducers for better results. These protocols deviate from the "templated' protocols provided by the company. I have done high density treatments of up to 1,000 lines per patient in older individuals with less elastic skin. This is twice the density of treatment recommended by the company. This comes with experience and observation of how patients respond to treatment. The more the cases performed, the more experience we develop. Experience I believe is important.

I hope this helps. Ask your physician about potential complications and if they have had any problems with their treatments. I believe in trained hands Ultherapy is very safe and very worth while.

Curt Samlaska, MD