Is It Safe To Do Ultherapy One year Later?

I had Ultherapy done in May 2011 - I'm in my mid-30's and was hoping to increase some lift in my neck and jowls. It helped - but the results weren't enough in my opinion, as they are really subtle. Is it safe to do it again one year later?

Ultherapy is safe to repeat in a year

It should be safe to repeat Ultherapy in a year time.  You might not need a full treatment. In our practice, we sometimes do "touch-up" treatments in specific areas in a year time.

Fort Lee Dermatologist

Repeat Ultherapy

The effects of Ulthera are additive, so another treatment should give more benefit.  In our practice, we offer a yearly treatment option to maintain the effect of the the initial procedure. 

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy Treatment

Thank you for your question. Generally, Ultherapy results last for a year's time so annual touch-ups are recommended. It is perfectly safe to receive the treatment again.

Ultherapy may be done again a year after the last treatment

many patients are benefitting by repeat Ultherapy a year after the first treatment.  There can be a beneficial addtional amount of collagen production from the second treatment. Furthermore, the protocol of treatment has changed greatly in the last year. More lines of treatment energy are being laid down, and with the newer 1.5 mm. depth of energy in the new superficial transducer, more planes of heating can be accomplished.  In addition, the areas such as the forehead, that don't allow the 4.5 mm depth of heating to be used often, can now have the 3mm and the 1.5mm deep transducers.  Speak with your doctor to see how a repeat treatment can be beneficial.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

May repeat Ultherapy within a year

In our practice we recommend repeat treatment every 12-18 months depending on the patient's age and extent of laxity if considered a good candidate for treatment. You may also consider Sculptra (Sculptherapy) for mid face volume enhancement that I believe works synergistically with Ultherapy to create a better mid face lift and collage recruitment which also helps diminish lower face soft tissue sagging. 

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy year later

Yes. It is safe to repeat the Ultheray after a year. In fact, several of our patients do come back for touch-ups or for repeated treatment for better results as soon as 6 months later.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy repeat treatment helpful to boost longevity of clinical benefits

Ultherapy is a fantastic FDA approved procedure for face and neck tightening with longevity of clinical benefits expected to last one to one and half year. Not only is there reversal of muscle laxity, there is also stimulation of collagen improving overall skin texture. To maintain clinical benefits of Ulthera, it is helpful to repeat treatment approximately 18 months later to provide additional boost of skin, facial and neck muscle tightening and collagen production.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

How often to do Ultherapy

Hi and thank you for your questions. The collagen stimulation from Ultherapy continues for 6 months, so it isn’t necessary to repeat a treatment before then.However, it is completely safe to do so, should you desire. I have had a few patients preparing for a big event or birthday who were so thrilled with the effects from the first treatment that they insisted on a second treatment at 4-5 months to get all possible improvements as quickly as possible. These patients continued to be even more satisfied and excited about the changes.We are always sure to educate all patients that they will continue to improve from each treatment throughout those 180 days. Overall, we leave the decision up to the patients dependent on their individual needs, results and budget. I feel an ideal plan would be a second treatment after 12-18 months and evaluate. Every patient is unique, will have varying results, and ages at different rates. One person may be fine with one treatment every three years and the next may be ready after 1-2 years. I find my patients are so happy to have such an effective, non-surgical skin lifting option that they plan on coming back yearly to maximize the benefits and improvements. Our extensively trained NP & PA’s customize each treatment for each individual patient. We offer complementary consultations, as well.

Grant Stevens, MD

Maintenance treatments after Ultherapy

Ultherapy can be repeated safely at any time, although I do not recommend repeat treatments sooner than 6 months as it takes 6 months to see the final results. Some patients elect to get repeat or maintenance treatments. 

Ultherapy a year later

Yes, you can do Ultherapy as early as 6 months after the initial procedure. The full effect is seen in 3 to 6 months and it is safe to repeat the procedure as deemed necessary.