Getting a Tattoo After Surgery?

I had an appointment for a tattoo for my birthday before booking my surgery date. Now I will be having a mommy makeover Jan 31st so is getting a tattoo on my wrist Feb 10th ok or should I cancel the appt? If so then when would it be safe to get it? Or would it be safe to get it now & have time for it to heal before surgery?

Mommy makeover

+1
Ten days after mommy makeover, you provably won't feel like shutting still for a tattoo.  I would recommend waiting about three weeks.

Tattoo following mommy makeover

+1
My advice would be to wait 2 months following your mommy makeover surgery before getting a tattoo.  As always, follow the guidance of your own plastic surgeon as he/she is responsible for your care.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo after surgery

+1
I would be in favor of getting the tattoo and allowing it to heal before surgery. After surgery I'd play it safe and wait 4-6 weeks to allow yourself to heal - especially if your mommy makeover includes breast implants.

Grant Stevens, MD

Tattoo: Wait 4-6 Weeks After Mommy Makeover

+1
We generally recommend waiting four to six weeks after a mommy makeover before proceeding with a tattoo. This allows adequate time for wound healing and resolution of swelling. At this point the risk of infection should be minimal. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo timing

+1

The risk of infection is generally low if done with proper technique and equipment, however I would recommend waiting 6 weeks after surgery before getting it done.  This is assuming you are healing properly from your surgery.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo Before or After Mommy Makeover?

+1

If the tattoo is separated from surgery by two weeks or so, transient bacteremia from the tattoo should be gone.  If an infection develops it should happen in 5 to 7 days.

A recent tattoo is not a contraindication to surgery.

+1

There are plenty of reasons for you not to get the tattoo, but it's proximity to surgery is not an issue.

Tattoo before or after mommy makeover

+1

Most likely a tattoo done now should be well healed for your January 31st surgery which is 8 weeks away.  Or you can do it after surgery but I would wait about 6-8 weeks after surgery so you are fully healed from the initial phase of healing.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Getting a Tattoo After Surgery?

+1

I think I would have to disagree with the other consultants. I do not think it safe to get a tattoo in the first few weeks after surgery. Tattoos can and do get infected and an infection can travel to the tissues around the breast implant necessitatng its removal. I have had this experience with a patient to got a tattoo 3 weeks after surgery. I think I would wait at least 8 weeks untill the breasts are well healed, or get it done now so the tattoo is healed before the breast surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Timing to Get Tattoo in Relation to Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

More than likely you will be fine either way,  but if it were me I would have it done now and not plan on spending time in a tattoo parlor 10 days after major surgery.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedures.