Turkey Neck Procedure with Minimal Downtime?

I am 55 years old and would like to know which procedure is best for treating a turkey neck with the least amount of downtime?

Turkey neck treatment

+2

The best treatment for a turkey neck is a face and neck lift.  The turkey neck is probably loose skin +/- muscle bands. These can be approache from a chin incision and facelift incisions.

Neck rejuvenation protocol

+2

Neck lifts have undergone a great step forward in the recent past. The recovery time is minimal.

Problem 1: Neck fat - treatment liposuction - recovery to return to work - 2 days

Problem 2: Sagging neck muscles that create the turkey gobblers - platysmaplasty - through a small incision under the chin the muscles are tightened. - recovery time - 2 days.

Problem 3: Excess skin under the neck - you have two choices:

• A small vertical incision under the chin (very difficult to see) can remove a large amount of excess skin. Recovery time 4 -5 days.
  • Extended necklift - excess skin is pulled behind the ears - better results, bigger procedure - recovery time 7-10 days.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Turkey Neck Procedure Options with Minimal Downtime

+1
Depending on the degree of turkey waddle will determine the best approach ranging from a modified facelift (mini lift), neck lift only to a full traditional facelift with or without platysmal plication. 
For most I have been able to use a mini lift such as the MACS lift, Lite Lift and others will improve both the lower face(jawline) as well as the neck. A necklift mainly focuses on the neck. The best value and quickest recovery time in my experienced is from a mini-lift procedure. For more extensive turkey waddle problems there is no substitute for a traditional facelift/necklift procedures.

An exam is always needed to determine how the specific causes of your undesired neck appearance. In particular there are 4 main factors that need to be evaluated:
1. the amount of redundant skin, excess fat below the chin, (requires neck or facelift)
2. banding of your neck mid-line neck muscles (platysmal bands) - requires platysmal plication (neck tightening)
3. elasticity of your skin. - requires laser or peels, thermage, ultherapy
4. a weak chin (supports the skin structure) - requires chin augmentation
Each of these components are dealt with in a different manner. For example, excess fat requires direct removal or liposuction (more common), widely spread playtsmal bands are brought together (neck tightening), and excess skin is removed with a lower facelift or neck lift (this can be done with minimal scars). Certain lasers and peels can help with elasticity problems and your photo seems to indicate adequate chin projection.

Traditional liposuction removes excess fat superficial to the platysmal muscle. A neck lift is able to remove fat both above and below the platysmal muscle and tighten it; this will give a more defined jaw/neck line. .The lax skin in your upper neck can be approached directly by a less invasive facelift in the mini-face lift such as the MAC or Lite Lift procedures. The least invasive would be one of these procedures which corrects the upper neck loose skin extremely well.. My own personal preference and in my hands the one with the least invasive approach is a Lite Lift which is performed in my office under local anesthesia with some oral sedation without the need for IV sedation or general anesthesia.

Always go to a board certified plastic surgeon with great experience in neck and face lifting.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Cervicoplasty for turkey neck with almost no "downtime".

+1

If you are a suitable candidate, a necklift might be the best solution for you. This operation fixes the muscles in the neck, removes escess fat, and correct turkey neck with minimum downtime. Patients may go about their daily activities the next day. The operation is outpatient, takes about an hour or so, and delivers predictably good results in the properly selected patient.

Least down time for turkey neck

+1

HI,

Turkey neck usually refers to excess skin and platysma muscle under the neck. Depending on the extent of the skin and muscle excess, you can be a candidate for a mini-facelift with 5 to 7 days of recovery. If you need some liposuction under the neck, this should not increase the downtime. Bruising takes the longest to resolve. Good cover up after 5 to 7 days should make it possible to return to non-strenuous activities.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Improve the appearance of a turkey neck

+1

In general, "turkey neck" improvement requires a surgical procedure. What surgery is best for you really depends on what is sagging. Is it skin, is it fat, is it a separation of muscles or a combination of all three. In general improvement in the neck can be made through small incisions under the chin and behind the ears, nicely hidden in skin creases. I generally tell patients to expect to take 1-2 weeks off work from a desk job, but the healing process continues for longer than that. It is a surgery, but one with high patient satisfaction in my experience.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon