What Does a Neck Lift Cost?

How much would a full or mini neck lift cost?

Neck Lift Pricing

+12
On either side of the chin are ligaments which hold the skin more tightly against the jawbone (mandible). This is where, and why, 'jowls' develop. I have also observed that many people develop both atrophy of soft tissues and slight recession of the mandible between the chin and the jowl area, which serves to exaggerate the appearance of jowls.
The surgical procedure that has traditionally been referred to as a' facelift' involves mobilizing the skin and soft tissues of the lower face and jawline (and in most cases, the neck), and advancing them upward and laterally to eliminate sagging (jowls) and provide the appearance of improved skin tone. The excess skin is removed.
What is currently referred to as a facelift usually means some combination of surgical lower face rejuvenation with procedures that are designed The combination of procedures to improve other facial aesthetic areasI perform on any patient are customized for that individual's specific needs and desires, and thus no two 'facelifts' are exactly alike.
Because I don't perform "cookie cutter" surgery it wold be impossibale for me to provide a price list. For patients comimg from differennt areas, we can have on occassiona a consultation by phone with photos you have sent. This will not enable to to give you an exact price, but a goo estimate of the cost.
In most cases when a plastic surgeon doesn't have a price list it is bceause he or she knows each patients face will be unique and the procedure therefore will not be the same.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Paying for a neck lift

+11

There are two procedures commonly referred to as necklifts:

1. submental incision, tightening of the muscle, removal of fat.

2. incision behind the ear into the hairline to attempt to tighten the neck. Often advertised as an alternative to a full facelift that is somehow beneficial because it can be performed under local anesthesia and is cheap. Patients getting only a minimal necklift often pay $4000.

You can see from this blog how satisfied many of them were with their results... not very. The reason for this is simple: the patients expected facelift results (clean necks and well sculpted jawlines) from a mini-lift.

Other sources of dissatisfaction are the great amount of pain they experienced because the procedure was performed under local anesthesia only, or the distorted appearance their faces now have.

Technically, a neck only lift is usually considered to be a procedure that is performed from incisions behind the ear and usually back into the hairline. The neck itself usually benefits somewhat. Because of the practitioners who often perform this procedure, the undermining is usually minimal and the scars are often unsatisfactory because they are closed under tension.

The jowls benefit minimally, because the incision stops at the earlobe. The face itself does not benefit at all. Some physicians refer to a necklift as a procedure in which an under the chin incision is made and liposuction along with some type of platysmaplasty (tightening of the platysma muscle), a wider, interlacing procedure for the submental area than the conventional corset platysmaplasty.

Costs vary greatly, but are often in the $7000 area including operating room expenses. Our version of this procedure is the Neck-Lace. This procedure is best for patients with a "bull neck" who don't have a lot of looseness in their face. It does nothing to tighten the face and is not an alternative to a facelift. It is often performed in our practice in patients who have already had liposuction under their chins for a "double chin" who were unhappy, or as the first step in a face and necklift.

Although it is sometimes beneficial to perform a necklift alone in revision facelift surgery, we almost never perform the procedure alone because of the disparity it creates between the lower face (tight), jowls (minimal effect) and upper face (no tightening), resulting in a "strange" appearance.

An experienced facelift surgeon is technically able to hide incisions well. Therefore most experienced facelift surgeons will suggest to their patients to rejuvenate the entire face harmoniously, not just the upper face alone, or just the neck alone.

Costs for an accomplished facelift surgeon performing a face and necklift usually run $15,000 and up including operating room in an accredited facility or hospital and a board certified anesthesiologist.

The good news for the necklift patients who are unhappy, is that it is almost always possible to revise their lifts, hide their scars, revise their hairlines and earlobes, and create a fresh rejuvenated appearance while restoring normal facial architecture.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Neck lift cost range from $2500-6000 and up

+10

Depending on the person, a full necklift or a mini-necklift may be enough to take care of the neck profile and extra skin.

A necklift by definition requires some work on the platysma muscles (platysmaplasty), which are found in the neck. If the platysma muscles are not sew together (no platysmaplasty was performed), and liposuction only was performed then by definition, it should be called neck liposuction, and should not be called a necklift. Neckliposuction pricing is less expensive, since it takes less time and less effort.

A full necklift in New York may cost from $4-6000 and up. I offer this procedure with a wide range of anesthesia options. If it is performed under local with oral sedation, this can save the patient the Anesthesia and Operating Room fees and be performed in the office, not unlike a mini-facelift.

The most expensive surgeon that I have heard of is in Boston, and his necklift only procedure is $10K (Surgeon's fee only.) It is his signature procedure, so that's why his fees are higher than the average.

For a mini-necklift, this is also called a submentoplasty and is slightly different from liposuction under the chin. A submentoplasty involves only an incision under the chin similar to the liposuction, but is about 1/2" to 3/4" in order to see the muscle bands and sew them together in a corset platysmaplasty. This will give the neck a nice profile and angle.

This procedure is limited more for patients who are younger and have better elasticity of the skin, since not skin is removed. The patient will depend on the skin to shrink as it does with liposuction to take the new shape of the neck. My age cut off for a mini-necklift is in general 45 years old, although I have had one Asian patient who was turning 64 with great skin elasticity and she did fine without the incisions around the ears.

For mini-necklift depending on the surgeon and if they surgeon may want to use more anesthesia, the price may range in the $2500-$4000 range, depending on the complexity of the neck.

There are exceptions for people who want a necklift only without a lower facelift. Many surgeons are not willing to perform a necklift only and will only offer it along with a full lower facelift. There is some reasoning behind this. Most people who have neck sagging also have some excess skin on their lower face.

I have a test to determine whether or not the patient can have a necklift as an isolated procedure. You can try this at home.

If you lay down on your back, does the skin on your lower face fold over the wrinkle in front of your ears. If so then an isolated necklift will create a pleat in front of your ear. The only way to avoid that is to include a lower facelift (which can be a mini facelift) to make sure this excess skin can be trimmed and tailored around your ear without forming that pleat. The next time I have a patient who shows this "folding over" in front of the ear, I will try to remember to take a photo of it.

Good luck.

Dr. Yang

George Yang, MD

Canadian Cost for the Various Types Neck Lifts

+3

In my practice in Toronto Canada, I offer 3 levels of invasiveness when considering a neck lift.  Each has its indications and power in addressing neck issues. The technique is often dictated by the patient's own anatomy and aging.  FIRST level is liposuction alone, via one under-the-chin 3mm incision and one similar incision behind each earlobe.  COST:  4500$ + taxes.  The SECOND level is level 1 with a platysmoplasty, i.e. repair of the hanging neck muscle bands (called Plastysma).  As we get older (and for some younger patients with genetic predisposition), the 2 muscles in front of the neck get loose and 'detach' from each other;  this is fixed surgically with a 18-22mm incision under the chin.  Some people have little fat pads deeper to these muscles and this would also be excised meticulously. COST:  7500$ + Taxes.  Level THREE is level 1 and 2, with a full redraping via a posterior auricular (ear) incision, as in a lower facelift.  This not only allows redraping of the skin, but the loose muscles can also be tightened behind the ear, adding to the longevity of the neck lift results.  COST:  12000$ + taxes.  All the finesse of those procedures would be discussed with your surgeon at time of consultation.  All my surgeries are performed in a fully-accredited surgicenter with board-certified anesthesiologists and registered OR nurese.  Hope this helps!  Dr. Marc DuPere, Board-certified Plastic Surgeon, Toronto, Canada  416.929.9800  visageclinic.com  dupere@visageclinic.com

Marc DuPere, MD

Costs vary widely depending on how much work is involved.

+3

If only suction of fat is needed, the cost is only a few thousand. If there are cords in the neck and if skin needs to be removed from the cheek as well, then the cost will be $8000-$10,000. Don't sacrifice quality for cost.

Cost of Neck Lift

+2

Neck lift cost depends on the extent of the procedure, which really depends on how extensive your aging changes of the neck are.  Slight looseness or fullness just under the chin can often be repaired through a small incision there, with liposuction and muscle tightening.  This can often performed with local anesthesia and may cost around $1,600-$2,000.  However, more extensive aging changes of the neck, especially more generalized loose skin, would likely require a more standard necklift, which is essentially the lower portion of a facelift.  This more extensive surgery could cost $3,500 - $5,000, depending on just what was involved and the type of anesthesia.  Have a thorough discussion with your plastic surgeon about what bothers you and your options.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Necklifts are great!

+2

Neck lifts come in many flavors.

I can do a local direct excision of skin, fat and tighten the muscle.

I can perform a platysmaplasty with skin redraping.

Finally I can do an extended necklift that includes incision behind the ears to help remove excess skin.

The total cost varies from procedure to procedure, but can range from 5000 to 10000. Facelifts are more expensive and have a significantly longer downtime.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Neck Lift Pricing

+2

An office visit/consultation (complimentary) is beneficial prior to planning the procedure. A neck lift may entail a liposuction, muscle tightening or suspension, and/or skin removal. Furthermore, optimum results may require a face lift (upper/lower) and/or fat grafting, and/or chin implant placement or jaw surgery, and/or skin resurfacing procedure. A neck lift by itself may not produce your desired result. During the consultation we may determine that other procedures are better suited for your optimal outcome.

Surgery may take as little as 1 hour but may easily take longer depending on the complexity of the procedure; the entire process takes about 2-5.5 hours and is performed on an outpatient basis.

Although I understand your desire to obtain the price; I can't give you a fixed price for several reasons. Prices depend on:

• Do you want it performed in an office, surgicenter or in a hospital setting?
  • Do you want a nurse, a surgeon, or a Board Certified Anesthesiologist to perform anesthesia?
  • Do you want me to provide you with dressings & garments or do you want to buy them?
  • Depending on these factors, a neck lift can range anywhere from $3500 up to $16,000.

Think about it and make the right choice. For your information our typical cost currently is about $6000 which includes surgeon's fees (certified anesthesiologist, accredited outpatient surgicenter, and initial garments and dressings). Many other options are available and prices do vary accordingly.

Neck lifting

+1
There is by no means a one-size-fits-all approach to any lifting procedure, thus it is impossible to give a specific price. Your needs, your surgeon's experience, and several other factors play into your final price.

The overall trend in surgery has gone away from more invasive, larger procedures toward safer, less invasive, and equally effective approaches. Think of an appendectomy, you will never see one of these done non-laparoscopically anymore. Aesthetic surgery is no exception to this, and has been at the forefront of this minimally invasive frontier for quite some time.

What the less invasive trend means for you is safer procedures, less downtime, lower price, all while achieving the same or better results when compared to some of the previously performed procedures.

When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail, so you still may find some surgeons who only perform these procedures under general anesthesia, but that is likely because that is the only way they trained on how to do it. In reality, you can do almost any lifting procedure without general anesthesia. Often times using general anesthesia is more for the surgeon's comfort, which can be at your expense, literally.

A reputable surgeon will often charge $12-15,000, occasionally more, for a full face and neck lift. A neck lift alone, although rarely indicated in my patient population by itself, is often in the $6-10,000 range.

The best advice is to not choose based on price, but the choose based on the physician who can accurately assess your needs, and align your goals and expectations with a realistic outcome. The main goals of your surgeon should be your safety and satisfaction. 

To guarantee you're receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck Lift Cost Factors

+1
Cost For Neck Lift Determination Factors
Neck Lift prices vary greatly because the the procedure itself encompasses a wide range of techniques and surgical approaches that can be performed to different extents- for example, Your plastic surgeon will evaluate you for five main features that will determine your best options for improvement:

1.Amount of excess fat (needs lipo or direct removal).
2.Presence of Significant Platysmal Banding (requires playsmaplasy or Botox)
3.Amount of excess Skin and condition of your skin. For example younger age, darker skin colors and no large weight loss history means there will be better elasticity and therefore better post surgical contraction. In milder cases if not too much fat is present there will be enough skin shrinkage with just lipo alone. However for moderate and severe skin redundancy a neck lift or lower facelift (e.g.Lite Lift®, MACS and others),
is needed with or without lipo for best results. Mild to minimal skin tightening using non surgical means like the Sciton Laser SkinTyte procedure, Ultherapy or Thermage could also be considered.
4. Chin deficiency (without adequate chin support your neckline will suffer)
5.Presence of prominent Digastric Muscles or Submandibular gland fullness from laxity or enlargement (partial resection usually best solution).

My recommendation is to first find qualified surgeons that are board certified by either the American Board of Plastic Surgery, or Facial Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. Factors that influence the price include:
1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctors office?
2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist be used, or an RN?

3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best trained (and longest) would be a surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or Facial Plastic Surgery Fellowship trained.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS