Tummy Tuck with While Obese? (photo)
- Asked by Tummytroubles
- 2 months ago
I have lost over 100 pounds with diet and exercise , but still have another 80 to 100 pounds to go. I weight 130 and I'm 5' tall I carry most of my weight in my stomach and have a very large hanging apron of fat, and I have had skin irritations and sweat a lot from it. This makes working out difficult. I'm healthy besides the weight. Would I be a good candidate for a tummy tuck?
Tummy tuck while still obese?
First let's get the numbers straight. It looks to me like you meant 230 lbs and the 130 lbs is a typo. If that is correct then I would try to slim down more but that being said, that apron is getting in the way and may be causing some skin issues and making clothing selection difficult. For that reason, I would consider doing a tummy tuck or maybe just a panniculectomy on you at your current weight and then planning a re-do or revision when you reach your ideal weight.
The timing really depends on how miserable you are with your apron and if you would be willing to have additional surgery. Another 80 - 100 pounds would very likely result in more sagging.
Great job on taking care of your health and getting into shape. We plastic surgeons just love it when the patient does 90% of the hard work and we get to come in and clean up the remaining 10%.
Web reference: http://www.sowdermd.com
Timing could be right
Congrats on the weight loss that is the biggest hurdle. if you are 130 and 5'1" then the time us right but if you think you want to lose significantly more weight then you might want to wait. Loosing more weight after a tummy tuck is possible and not dangerous but the tightness if the tummy tuck might be less with the weight loss.
Tummy tuck / abdominoplasty after weight loss
If your information is accurate and you're 5 ft tall and 130 lbs, then I think based on your photos you are at an appropriate stage to go ahead with your tummy tuck. However, your statement that you have another 80-100 lbs to lose does not make sense. One of these figures is wrong. If there was a typo and you actually weigh 230 and want to lose another 80-100 lbs more, then getting to your goal weight would be preferable.
But, I have encountered patients where the overhanging skin is causing problems to lose more weight because of the irritation. In those cases, I would recommend proceeding with a panniculectomy (excising only the overhanging skin without the full cosmetic tummy tuck) first to get rid of the irritation and allow for easier exercise. Then, when you have achieved more weight loss closer to the goal weight, then undergo the full cosmetic tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. Depending on your insurance plan, some may cover the panniculectomy. Good luck!
Web reference: http://www.EsanaMedSpa.com
Great Tummy Tuck Candidate
Congratulation on your weight loss. Thank you for your picture. If you currently weigh a 130 lbs then this is a great time for your tummy tuck!
Tummy Tuck with While Obese?
Tummy tuck is best performed at a stable weight close to your goal weight. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.
Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA
Timing of a tummy tuck
My advice is to wait to have a tummy tuck until you have lost all of your desired weight and your weight has been stable for several month's time. Best of luck.
Tummy Tuck with While Obese?
I'm not sure but there may be a misprint in your question. You say you are 130 pounds and have 80-100 pounds still to lose???
From your photo it looks like you may be a candidate for the surgery. It would take an exam to truly answer that question.
After weight loss
You are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck procedure and should get a very satisfying result. Good Job!
Apron of skin
ideally one should be at their desired weight prior to a TT but if you have skin irritations from an overhanging pannus you might get your insurance company to cover it's removal - then without the irritation complete your weight loss with diet and exercise and have a formal TT - It means two surgeries but it might make sense given what is going on
Tummy Tuck Surgery risks in obese patients
Its certainly feasible to do an abdominoplasty procedure for a patient with a BMI of 30 or more (obese) - but the risk of complications is somewhat higher - delayed wound healing, seroma, wound infections etc. are higher in obese patients. Maximizing your realistic weight loss prior to the procedure is always good advice.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.