Why Do I Have to Wait to Have Children Before Getting Tummy Tuck?

I've recently lost a significant (>50lbs) amount of weight and have loose skin around my stomach. I'm contemplating a tummy tuck, but have been advised to wait until after having children to do so.

As I'm 35 yrs old and not necessarily looking to be pregnant within the next few years, but am not necessarily ruling it out. Can anyone please help me understand why I am being advised to wait?

Tummy Tuck before pregnancy

Would you want to have a very expensive dress custom fitted for your body knowing that you will gain weight and stretch it out?

Your body is the most precious garment you own. A significant portion of the abdominoplasty involves repairing the muscle to enhance and create the impression of a waistline. Pregnancy will undoubtedly undo the muscle repair. Why waste the time, money effort, healing and surgery if you know you will intentionally damage it? You can do this if you want to enjoy the temporary nature of the results but realize that it will only be short term. It is very likely you will have to repeat the tummy tuck after the pregnancy.

I have performed this procedure on young adults who have experienced masssive wieght loss in their late teens or early 20's but only after having a long discussion about the inevitability of having to repeat the procedure and only if they have long term intentions of getting pregnant

Pregnancy and Tummy Tucks

Thanks for the question -

Typically patients may be asked to wait on tummy tucks if they have immediate plans to get pregnant.

The reason why is that pregnancy may undo the effects of the muscle plication and skin excision. This can leave patients with a similar appearing abdomen prior to the surgery. The concept is to provide a long lasting improvement.

If you are planning on having a pregnancy in the near future, it will be in your best interest to delay undergoing the tummy tuck procedure.

However,  generally speaking patients who do become pregnant after undergoing tummy tuck surgery are able to have normal pregnancies afterwards.    
Depending on weight gain/loss,  changes in skin elasticity,  genetics etc. revisionary surgery may be necessary after the pregnancy.   

Why You Should Wait

Pregnancy can reverse your effects, which means that it may be a waste of time and money to have the surgery now. It can also cause complications with your incision - your incision will probably be healed but there is a risk of separation. 

Tummy tuck and pregnancy

It usually is recommended to wait to have a tummy tuck until after pregnancy.  Howver, with  massive weight loss patients I have always offered this procedure and in many cases before having children. It really is a personal choice, but remember, the skin and tissue will become a bit more lax after getting pregnant.

The effects of pregnancy on a tummy tuck

As you know, pregnancy can significantly alter a woman's body and figure. Many women wait until they are done with childbirth before re-contouring their abdomen. This can be an effective strategy to wait and see if their body will react from the pregnancy with stretch marks or abdominal loosening that can easily be addressed with a tummy tuck.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

You don't...

Obviously patients who get pregnant often are the ones who seek abdominoplasty so you wouldn't want to do an abdominoplasty and then immediately get pregnant. However, it really is an individual choice and prioritization of your quality of life. You have to ask yourself how important is it to have the results an abdominoplasty will provide you for the length of time you have it. Only you can answer this. If you do not have any plans to get pregnant and you really feel committed to correcting your abdomen, then you would seem to be a reasonable candidate to do it. You can also ask yourself how disappointed would you be if you had the abdominoplasty and then became pregnant within 6 months, or 1 year, or 3 years, etc.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

You can have tummy tuck prior to having children

The simple answer is that you can do a tummy tuck prior to having children, many women do however after having children another tummy tuck may be require to deal with the excess skin created while pregnant.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Just so you don't have to do it twice

There is no physical reason you can't do a tummy tuck before having children and it wouldn't hurt your pregnancy either.  It is just that the stretching caused by pregnancy could ruin the result and make you need to repeat it.  But that's just a choice you can make.

Depends on your plans

Due to your weight loss a tummy tuck would be beneficial. However, if you are planning on having children in the next year or two, then the better option would be to wait. Pregnancy stretches your skin and can reverse the effects of your tummy tuck. If you are not sure about having children or it may be a few years, then go ahead with your tummy tuck because it will benefit you. It is really a choise between how much your current loose and excess skin bother you vs. a possible second surgery if future pregnancy(s) stretch your skin again. So looking at timing may help you make a better decision. We all generally recommend that you wait so your results can last you for the long term and you can avoid a second procedure. Discuss your plans with a board certified plastic surgeon and they can help guide your decision making process.