Tummy Tuck with Low Blood Count?

I have three wonderful children and a loving husband who supports me 100%.I was scheduled to have surgery (tummy tuck and hernia repair) on 03/09/2010 but was cancled because my blood was low - it was 9.9. Has any one had this problem before?

I have been put on iron pills for 3 to four weeks. What should it be in order to have this type of surgery? And are there a lot of risk because i have heard some scary stories.and one of my co- workers went for lipo and she passed away the next day, she has six kids. Help!

Anemia and abdominoplasty

+1

Generally, we perfer the hemoglobin level to be above 10.0. When presented with this issue, we look at the patient as a whole- medical history, lifestyle, etc. We usually recommend determining the cause of your anemia and treating it properly. Once this is corrected surgery can be performed. With abdominoplasty, blood loss, although minimal, can be significant, depending upon the patient and the techniques used. It is always better to be safe.

Cosmetic Surgery and ANEMIA

+1

ANEMIA - the insufficient quantity of functioning red cells that carry oxygen in the blood can be caused by 3 major groups of causes
1. Your are not making enough (for some reason (not enough Iron, Vit. B12, bone marrow disease) you are not producing enough red cells forcing the heart to beat faster to move the existing volume of red cells quicker).
2. You are losing more than you are making (either internal or external bleeding or increased breakdown by a large spleen).

While anemia in menstruating women is commonly related to heavy periods and poor iron supplementation, anemia in men or post menstrual women needs to be carefully worked up to determine the cause and treatment.

While surgical emergencies go to the OR regardless of anemia (severe trauma etc) and blood is rapidly infused on the way and through the case, there is NO reason to take any risks with elective and cosmetic surgery (the two are not the same).

If the anemia does not resolve in a few weeks, you should be evaluated by a Hematologist.

Anemia and tummy tuck surgery

+1

Your surgeon has erred on the side of safety which is completely appropriate.  You should see your primary care physician, if you haven't already, to have the source of your anemia evaluated.  Once this is determined and your blood counts are normal, you should be ready for surgery.  Good luck, /nsn.

Preop Anemia

+1

It sounds like your surgeon has done the right thing. You blood count is a bit low, and it would help with iron supplements to raise it before surgery.

You should have your blood checked again before surgery. As long as you are a young and healthy person and have no underlying risk factors, getting your blood count up slightly would help before your surgery.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-tummy-tuck-newport-beach.php

Trust that your surgeon will do everything possible to make your surgery safe

+1

Hi there-

As my colleagues have pointed out, all surgery will carry risks...

Your surgery should be safe, provided that your anemia responds to your current iron supplementation.

I'm not sure exactly what happened to your friend, but death after liposuction should be exceedingly rare when performed by a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Tummy tuck with low blood count.

+1

Surgery cannot be performed without risk. You must be willing to accept some degree of risk. Your surgeon chose to delay your surgery until your anemia is corrected because he/she felt it was in your best interests and a sign that he/she cares about your overall well being.

Tummy Tuck with Low Blood Count

+1

The standard for elective surgery a few years ago was at least 10gm. Hb, but has been relaxed a bit because of inherent dangers in transfusions. I would be more concerned about the cause of your anemia. If there is no serious medical reason for your low blood count, I would not be overly concerned about performing your surgery as my usual blood loss for tummy tucks is relatively low.

Tummy tuck with low blood count

+1

Over 11 for the Hb and 34 for the Hct. But you should really discuss this with the operating surgeon NOT us over the net.

From MIAMI

You need to have medical evaluation

+1

Your doctor did the right thing by delaying your surgery. The low blood count is common in premenapausal  patients and taking suplements will help. Your blood count little bit too low and you need to make sure that there is no other reason for the low blood count.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Make sure you get clearance from you internist before ANY cosmetic surgery

+1

Hello - It sounds as though you may have an underlying cause of your anemia.  Therefore, it's very important for you to be checked out and cleared by your internist and/or a hematologist.  It may take some time to get you 100% ready for surgery, so please be patient. 

Web reference: http://www.drschreiberplasticsurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.