Tummy Tuck Help Type 2 Diabetes?

Why wouldn't a tummy tuck help my type 2 diabetes as I only weight 122 lbs and my tummy is the only place with fat on it as it was cut due to fibroids removed. Also, couldn't they use the stem cells out of that fat to help reverse my diabetes?

Update:4/26/12

Actually when fibroids were taken out and a C-section given, isn't that reason for a tummy tuck? Wouldn't it be good to tighten up those muscles? From what I see, there are no cutting edge treatments for diabetes. The tummy tuck was my last hope. If I were heavy, I could lose weight or have a gastric bypass. I only weigh 122 so I can't. The insulin didn't work as it made me have a ravenous appetite and my sugar would go up to 300 - 400. Victoza shot makes it 250. I'm screwed.

Tummy tuck help Type 2 diabetes?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Diabetes is one that is known to have an increased risk for infections and wound healing issues. There are a number of both systemic and local host factors that can contribute to infections. Whether or not diabetics are truly at greater risk and the magnitude of the effect of diabetes on the risk of infection remain controversial. However, there is a known increased propensity to develop infections and delayed healing. Some of the hyperglycemia-related impairments on the immune response include vascular insufficiency, sensory peripheral neuropathy, autonomic neuropathy, and skin and mucosal colonization with pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus and Candida species.

That being said, well-controlled diabetes should equate a minimal increased risk for the above and surgical procedures still safe and a reasonable decision. You should ensure adequate glucose control always, but also obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. Laboratory results such as HgbA1C is a good measure of control. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Measures will be taken to check levels as well as maintain proper glucose control with appropriate fluids and medications. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!n

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. Diabetes is a disease that should demand a healthy respect from both surgeon and patient in plastic surgery. It is a disease that affects the immune system and can increase the risk of infection, a disease that affects the healing potential of a wound and can cause opening of a wound, and is a disease of the circulation that can lower the blood flow to the operated tissue and cause necrosis or tissue death. This needs to be managed as follows:

1. Tight blood glucose control with diet, exercise, and medication. You need to see your internal medicine doctor regularly and make sure your diabetes is well controlled.
2. If you are overweight, then losing weight decreases your risk in tummy tuck surgery or any other surgery for that matter.
3. If you have high blood pressure, this needs to be managed and well controlled by your internal medicine doctor as well.
4. ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING!
5. Consider with your surgeon HyperBaric Oxygen therapy pre- and post-op.
6. Make sure you understand from your surgeon and anesthisiologist what medications you should take or not take prior to surgery.

It is very possible to have a great outcome as a diabetic following tummy tuck surgery, but minimizing the risk is the most rational way of accomplishing this.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Diabetes?

+1

The tummy tuck operation will serve to remove “excess” skin/subcutaneous tissues  and “repair” abdominal wall muscles that have spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss. The operation will not help with treatment or control of diabetes.

Abdominoplasty is not a treatment for diabetes

+1

See your endocrinologist in terms of cutting edge treatments for diabetes. However, abdominoplasty, which corrects contour deformities and sagging skin/muscle laxity in the abdomen, would not be indicated.  All patients with diabetes require medical clearance for cosmetic surgery.  Removal of fibroids does not result in fat in the abdomen. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck in Normal Weight Diabetic will not improve Diabetes

+1

Your Type 2 Diabetes is genetic in origin as you are not overweight, so the tummy tuck, even though it will remove a little more fat will not help you. Fat cells are stem cells, but they are already in your body so  injecting them back will not help.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Everything helps to losse weight and fat, helps to improve diabetes type2

+1

it has been told lateley by several medical articles than diabetes type 2  can  be reversed completely after gastric by pass.

i believe  than your problem could improve with  TT of course  if you full fill the whole requirements than your  diabetes M.D. will recommend  to you. you also must take in account than complications rate elevate during  any diabetical  patients be operated on ,in any kind  of surgery.

good  news for you  are, i think in a few years you will get pancreas regeneration trough stem cell injections taken from your belly and this sureley  will end up your  diabetes  problem

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon