How to Get Rid of Seroma After Tummy Tuck?

I had a Tummy Tuck done 4 weeks ago. I feel that I still have accumulated liquid in my lower abdomen. How do I get it out?

How Do I Get Rid Of A Seroma In My Lower Abdomen 4 Weeks Post Op?

+1

A seroma is a collection of injury fluid seen in many parts of the body after almost any surgery. Unfortunately, it is quite common in the lower abdomen after a tummy tuck. Usually, this is due to inadequate lymphatic drainage.

Seromas after a tummy tuck fall into 3 major categories. The first and most benign is a seroma, when drained by your surgeon, never reoccurs. The second type of seroma recurs multiple times after drainage, and may require installation of a sclerosing agent. The third type of seroma is a chronic situation requiring re-exploration of the abdomen and removal of the seroma capsule.

I recommend you call your plastic surgeon as soon as possible because the longer the seroma remains undrained, the greater chance you have of forming a pocket which needs surgical excision.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Fluid accumulation after Tummy Tuck

+1

Have your plastic surgeon aspirate the collected fluid to avoid any other complications. This can easily be done in the office using a needle and syringe. It is normal to develop some fluid build-up after this type of invasive surgery.

Seroma after tummy tuck

+1

Return to see your plastic surgeon. The fluid can easily be aspirated in the offfice.  However, if you continue to delay the body can wall off the fluid and it will be difficult to remove.

Jack Gelman, MD
Frankfort Plastic Surgeon

Seroma

+1

You need to return to your plastic surgeon.  If there is a significant amount of fluid it will have to aspirated.  This may have to be done more than once so you should be ready to return several times.  If the fluid just keeps accumulating, a drain may have to be put in.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD