How Does a Tummy Tuck Binder Help with Drains and Recovery?

How much sooner could drains be removed if a binder is consistently worn after a tummy tuck? I found this article, would most surgeons agree? http://www.psinteractive.net/abdom3.htm

Tummy Tuck Binder is mainly for your comfort

+1

Thank you for your question. A binder is often used after a Tummy Tuck to improve your comfort, and possibly to reduce drainage and certainly to provide support.

It is important that a binder not be placed too tightly on the abdomen after Tummy Tuck. An extremely tight binder could interfere with blood supply to the skin and cause necrosis or damage near the suture line.

The garment and drain are vital after tummy tuck

+1

time to take out the drain after a tummy tuck can vary from a patient to another, drains are often taken out from 7 to 10 days but sometimes it takes more time to do it. i take it out when  i see less than 35 cc collectet in it in 24 hours.

Ramon Sabala, MD

Drain Removal After Tummy Tuck?

+1

Drains are used to remove fluid from the space between the abdominal wall skin (that has been elevated during the coming procedure) and the underlying abdominal wall muscles. This space can be called a “dead space” and tends to fill with fluid that can be troublesome if left in place.  I will remove drains when the output is low (typically less than 20 mL per drain per day).

Abdominal wall binders also are helpful in keeping a moderate amount of compression along the tissues that have been elevated during the abdominoplasty procedure. The binder also serves to keep dressing someplace minimizing the need for irritating tape.  Some patients actually appreciate the “security” the binder and/or other compressive garments seem to provide. We usually get rid of the binder at the one-month postop. And replace it with moderately compressing garments (granny underwear).

Purpose of Post Op Garment for Tummy Tuck

+1

Some form of compression garment is used after a tummy tuck for two reasons.  1.) It protects the repair of the muscles so that intra abdominal pressure from coughing or straining will not disrupt the stitches before healing is complete. 2.) The garment helps to keep down fluid collection in the tissues, combats swelling or seroma formation.  Some surgeons prefer a a binder  and others a girdle designed specifically for plastic surgery.   Wearing your garment consistantly contributes to a good outcome.  Drainage is variable from person to person, but generally heavier patients have more drainage that persists longer.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

How Does a Tummy Tuck Binder Help with Drains and Recovery? Answer:

+1

I actually don’t use a binder after TT unless I am also doing liposuction of the tummy or hips. I place one drain and I have had very very low incidences of seroma or fluid buildup. I am always worried about the garment rolling down and cutting across the tummy flap and damaging the circulation…But it really is personal preference!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Drains post TT.

+1

The drains are very important post surgery they prevents any fluids collection that might cause trouble like infections. The decision to remove the drains comes from your doctor it can be few days up to 10 days, and usualy there is a specific number that surgeon would consider to remove them. Wearing the binder is very imporant to achieve the same goal, and they have to be worn consistantly. Good Luck

Fatema S. Alsubhi, MD
UAE Plastic Surgeon

The binder should not be tight

+1

A firm fitting binder or garment is helpful to reduce swelling after liposuction and tummy tucks, however, it should not be tight! During a tummy tuck, the skin is undermined meaning that it has been separated from the muscle. In doing so, much of the blood supply to the remaining skin and fat has been reduced. If the binder is too tight, more blood supply to the skin and fat can be reduced and if it gets to a critical level the skin and fat can die resulting in worse scars and delayed healing. Wearing the garment tighter probably does not allow the drains to come out faster. I like the word 'snug' when referring to the tightness of the binder.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Binders are important

+1

In my practice I have patients wear a binder for six weeks.  The binder protects the muscle repair while the sutures internally are healing.  The binder also has a role with post-operative swelling.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD