Tummy tuck and male mastopexy combined?

I have lost over 40kg of weight and in 2013 I had a chest mastectomy to get rid of my man boobs and have loose skin from the weight loss and mastectomy I had done. Is it recommended for a male to have these procedures combined or should I do the chest mastopexy first and wait for it to heal before I have a tummy tuck? Generally speaking with a male tummy tuck is it standard to have the muscles repaired and finally how do I know im choosing the best plastic surgeon for my results? Thanks

Tummy Tuck and Mastopexy Combination in Melbourne, Florida

Combining the procedures of tummy tuck and mastopexy is very commonly done and is safe in most situations. Definitely discuss your concerns with your board-certified plastic surgeon prior to proceeding as some health conditions may present situations in which it would be recommended to stage the procedures rather than do them in the same do. Most of the time, patients are able to do them in the same day if they are otherwise healthy.

Regarding the muscle repair with the abdominoplasty, if you have had this much weight loss, then chances are that you may have what is called rectus diastasis, which is separation of the rectus muscles. These are the muscles that produce the six-pack appearance in body builder patients.With weakness or separation of these muscles comes weakness of the abdomen producing the abdominal pooch that everyone finds unattractive; therefore, to address this, the muscles are generally recommended to be tightened during abdominoplasty surgery.

Regarding choosing your plastic surgeon, I would be sure to choose a board-certified plastic surgeon with specialty experience in this area and even fellowship training in this area if you can find one, as well as see the surgeon’s before and after photos.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Combined procedures

I'd suggest you see a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this type of surgery. Combining procedures often makes sense in the right person, although staging it would be perfectly appropriate.  With the tummy tuck, most of the time the muscles are tightened if there is a laxity of the abdominal wall.  I would wait for weight to be stable for 6 months before proceeding with surgery to ensure an optimal result.

Tim Neavin, MD

Tummy tuck and mastopexy

You should speak to a board certified and experienced plastic surgeon to determine whether the two procedures performed at the same time would be safe for you. It is possible to have them done at the same time in healthy patients. It's common to have diastasis recti repair performed during a tummy tuck, but it's not necessary. It would only be performed if you require it. 

Trust your instinct. Examine their credentials and experience and if you feel comfortable with your surgeon, then they're probably the "best" one.

Tummy tuck and male mastopexy combined?

The two can be performed together by an expert.  Weight loss patients do not necessarily need muscle tightening.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures and male breast reductions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Weight loss and surgery in men

A tummy tuck is a common procedure for men after massive weight loss.  This may include a diastasis repair because of weakness.  As for the chest it is quite possible to have them both done at the same time.

Body Contouring after Weight Loss

Wow.  Lots of stuff to talk about here!

First off, congratulations on the weight loss.  Not many can accomplish that!

Next, in experienced hands, combining both of the procedures that you want is both safe and effective.  And less expensive.  But I stress that the surgeon must be experienced in both performing these kind of procedures and in knowing how to lessen the risk of the complications which may arise from combination procedures.

Muscle repair in male abdominoplasty depends on two major factors.  How much abdominal wall laxity is present as a result of the long-term obesity and how much intra-abdominal fat remains.  This can only be determined at examination.

Which brings us to the question of how to chose your surgeon.  Websites can be helpful, but may also be misleading.  Ask around.  I am sure some friend or family member has had experience with a plastic surgeon and can refer you to one who is excellent (or tell you who to avoid!).  Better yet ask around to medical providers you may know.  Nurses especially know which doctors are good and which ones are not.

Good luck.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon