Lumps and Hard spots along jawline after Mini Facelift, curious if this is all normal? (photo)

I am experiencing very tight neck and ears and also have noticed some lumps and hard spots along my jawline from the corners of my mouth over the cheek area. I am going on 3 weeks tomorrow and wondering how long the tightness will last along with the hard lumpier areas? I know it takes time, just curious if this is all normal?

I see nothing to worry about three weeks after a facelift.

+1
Some contour irregularities may exist for several weeks after a facelift. As long as the trend is favorable I think you have nothing to worry about.

Lumps and Hard spots along jawline after Mini Facelift

+1
Dear lee, thank you for your question.Swelling after a facelift may persists from weeks to months, causing bumps or asymmetries to appear. In San Diego, we monitor our patients closely for one year to address any issues. Follow up with your surgeon to check if this is swelling versus something else and if treatment is indicated. Best of Luck.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightness and minor lumps are normal 3 weeks after a facelift

+1
Based on your photograph I see nothing to be alarmed about.

It is good that you feel very tight at 3 weeks because the skin always relaxes after a facelift and the longer you feel this tightness the less likely you are to have recurrence of sagging in your neck.

Very minor irregularities are normal and usually can be resolved with gentle massage.

However it is important that you see your plastic surgeon have him examine the lumps and be certain that there is no hematoma or other issue beneath the skin.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Face lift, postop, tightness, lumps

+1
There'll be certain degree of healing that'll take place over the next several months. Areas of firmness, tightness and irregularity are not entirely uncommon. Massage and patientce are important. If there are very large areas of irregularity these may be an issue with regards to a reaction to the underlying suture material. The skin will soften over time. However without actually seeing the area it is impossible to see was really going on. I think you need to rediscuss this with the original doctor as well.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps 3 weeks post facelift.

+1
Congratulations on getting a facelift!

It is perfectly normal to have some areas of hardness and small lumps 3 weeks after a facelift.  At this stage of healing I recommend to my patients using warm compresses and gentle massage of the area.  Once everything heals you should expect the skin to be perfectly smooth.

Best wishes!
Dr. Konstantin

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

Lumpiness after facelift

+1
You appear to have some swelling that has yet to resolve. Three weeks is still early in the healing process. I anticipate that you should get gradual improvement in the contour of the cheek and jaw line as the swelling improves. Gentle massage and ultrasound are options as well. Try to be as patient as you can and you should get a nice result. Make sure to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Lumps after facelift

+1
For 3 weeks postop you look great.  As you heal, there are often areas that stay swollen longer which can make it look irregular and lumpy.  Some heat to the area followed by some massage can help to smooth it out.  Ultrasound can also help if the massage doesn't.  But at 3 weeks I would not be worried as this is all normal.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lumps and Hard spots along jawline after Mini Facelift, curious if this is all normal?

+1
Appears like areas of blood or tissue swelling. Try external ultrasound therapy to smooth out. Otherwise allow a few months of healing. 

Lumps following a cheek lift

+1
The changes you are describing are quite common following your procedure. You should definitely follow up with your surgeon. Massage, lymphatic drainage and external ultrasound may be of help. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after facelift

+1
It is still early in your healing process.  It sounds like you have swelling.  Discuss this with your surgeon, as he may want to send you to someone for facial massage. Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD