Painful Scar Adhesions After Prophylactic Mastectomy

I was told at time of surgery that I would have a thin scar and no worries I have painful strictures I am thinking of getting single stage implants 150 cc in hopes this might help stricture and cover scar depression. Any thoughts. More interested in pain relief than large breast

Painful scars after mastectomy

+1
This is not a routing problem. A picture would be helpful to get a better sense of what to consider. I do scar revisions and like the product Embrace. 

Hypertrophic scars following a prophylactic mastectomy

+1

Without photos and using your description, it sounds like you have developed hypertrophic scars which means that they are thick, painful and raised. Placing implants will not improve this situation and may even exacerbate your problem due to the skin stretching. They will, however, give you more projection.

What you could benefit from is a scar revision which involves excising the scar and reclosing the area and subsequently treating it such as with a scar cream or silicone gel sheeting to reduce the risk of recurrence of this painful scar. I strongly recommend that you be evaluated by a reputable board certified plastic surgeon who can then provide you with the useful information needed.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Painful scar after mastectomy

+1

A painful scar will not improve by placement of implants.   In fact, this may worsen your problems if you a painful hypertrophic (thickened) or keloid scar.   I would consult with a local board certified plastic surgeon to discuss options of scar revision/improvement and potential breast reconstruction.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery. 

Paul S. Gill, MD

Scars after mastectomy

+1

It is hard to offer specific recommendations without more information and an examination. It may be best for you to see a Board Certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and offer reconstructive options.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Painful scars

+1

It is unclear what the pain is caused by. An exam would be helpful in figuring this out and determining a plan to help improve the symptoms and offer reconstruction.