Loss of Eyelashes After Eyelid Surgery?

I had upper and lower eyelid surgery 3 wks ago and am losing my eyelashes. I am afraid I am going to lose all my lashes. I'm hoping it is most likely temporary and will not continue to happen much longer. I would appreciate any information about this condition.

Eyelash loss after blepharoplasty

+2

Usually this is temporary, and the lashes come back after a month or 2.

I'd agree with the recommendation of trying Latisse.

Eyelash loss after eye surgery

+1

That can happen from the stress of the surgery and is usually temporary and they will grow back, You can use eyelash products like Revitalash or Latisse to speed the process up if you want to try.

Julio Garcia, MD

Loss of eyelashes can happen after eyelid surgery

+1

Loss of eyelashes can happen after eyelid surgery. It can often be due to the trauma to the eyelid in which case the eyelashes will often come back over time.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Loss of eyelashes after eyelid surgery

+1

This is a very unusual occurrence. I would anticipate that the loss of the lower eyelashes, and possibly the uppers, is due to them being burned or cut during the actual surgery. You can apply Latisse as it may help restore eyelash regrowth more rapidly.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash Loss after Surgery

+1

Eyelash loss after eyelid surgery can occur in some patients as part of the healing process.  Usually, the eyelashes will grow back, but it can take up to 6 months or so in some patients unless there is an underlying alopecia issue.  Occasionally, the lower eyelid lashes may be trimmed a bit during the surgery, since the lower eyelid incision is placed just beneath the eyelashes.  The good news is that the incisions should not directly affect the eyelash hair bulb, so I would be very optimistic about their regrowth.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Michael Vincent, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash regrowth after lid surgery

+1

Eyelash loss after blepharoplasty will resolve on it's own over time, although this will take several months.  Latisse would help promote more rapid lash growth, but will also take over 4 to 6 weeks to take effect.  Alternatively, you could  try Elastilash which is made by Obagi (and costs less than Latisse) to help enhance lash thickness. 

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash loss after blepharoplasty

+1

Loss of eyelashes can occasionally be seen after aesthetic surgery.

They will almost certainly regrow after several months.

Patience - Mother Nature won't be rushed!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Loosing eyelashes after eyelid surgery

+1

I agree with what has been posted thus far.  However, I would also recommend considering using Latisse, unless you have very light eyes.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash loss after blepharoplasty

+1

This is very likely a temporary result of surgical trauma (surgeon didn't do anything wrong however).  You may want to supplement with Latisse©, which may or may not help.

Hang in there.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Follicle shock / telogen effluvium

+1

Loss of eyelashes in a delayed fashion such as a few weeks after surgery is almost always due to so-called "follicle shock" or telogen effluvium. It's a temporary situation in those cases and requires nothing more than a lot of patience since it can be several months (3-4) before the lashes will start to re-grow. Your surgeon can probably evaluate this for you, but if a patient needed a second opinion, an ophthalmologist or a dermatologist would be reasonable choices for who to see.

Good luck,

--DCP 

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon