Loss of Eyelashes After Eyelid Surgery?

I had upper and lower eyelid surgery 3 wks ago and am losing my eyelashes. I am afraid I am going to lose all my lashes. I'm hoping it is most likely temporary and will not continue to happen much longer. I would appreciate any information about this condition.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Loss of Eyelashes after Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery

+1

Hi Memphis8406 in Memphis, TN,

Eyelashes may be stunned temporarily after any surgery on the eyelids. The roots generally grow hair again, but only after a few months. While very rare, eyelashes may be lost permanently with plastic surgery. Speak with your eyelid plastic surgeon. Avoiding makeup, smoking cessation, and using Latisse may possibly improve the condition. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can one help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/eyelid-surgery.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash loss after blepharoplasty

+2

Usually this is temporary, and the lashes come back after a month or 2.

I'd agree with the recommendation of trying Latisse.

Eyelash loss after eye surgery

+1

That can happen from the stress of the surgery and is usually temporary and they will grow back, You can use eyelash products like Revitalash or Latisse to speed the process up if you want to try.

Loss of eyelashes can happen after eyelid surgery

+1

Loss of eyelashes can happen after eyelid surgery. It can often be due to the trauma to the eyelid in which case the eyelashes will often come back over time.

Web reference: http://www.chelseaeye.com

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Loss of eyelashes after eyelid surgery

+1

This is a very unusual occurrence. I would anticipate that the loss of the lower eyelashes, and possibly the uppers, is due to them being burned or cut during the actual surgery. You can apply Latisse as it may help restore eyelash regrowth more rapidly.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash Loss after Surgery

+1

Eyelash loss after eyelid surgery can occur in some patients as part of the healing process.  Usually, the eyelashes will grow back, but it can take up to 6 months or so in some patients unless there is an underlying alopecia issue.  Occasionally, the lower eyelid lashes may be trimmed a bit during the surgery, since the lower eyelid incision is placed just beneath the eyelashes.  The good news is that the incisions should not directly affect the eyelash hair bulb, so I would be very optimistic about their regrowth.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash regrowth after lid surgery

+1

Eyelash loss after blepharoplasty will resolve on it's own over time, although this will take several months.  Latisse would help promote more rapid lash growth, but will also take over 4 to 6 weeks to take effect.  Alternatively, you could  try Elastilash which is made by Obagi (and costs less than Latisse) to help enhance lash thickness. 

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash loss after blepharoplasty

+1

Loss of eyelashes can occasionally be seen after aesthetic surgery.

They will almost certainly regrow after several months.

Patience - Mother Nature won't be rushed!

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Loosing eyelashes after eyelid surgery

+1

I agree with what has been posted thus far.  However, I would also recommend considering using Latisse, unless you have very light eyes.  Good luck!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash loss after blepharoplasty

+1

This is very likely a temporary result of surgical trauma (surgeon didn't do anything wrong however).  You may want to supplement with Latisse©, which may or may not help.

Hang in there.

sek