Which treatment would be best for me to remove acne scars and decrease pore size? I am 42 with a long history of acne. (photo)

I am a stay-at-home mom, so downtime is not an issue. I went through 2 treatments of Accutane in the last 20 years. The last treatment was about 10 years ago.

Acne Scars

+1
You may be a candidate for the Fraxel Dual Laser at the 1550 wavelength to treat your acne scarring.  The Erbium technology of the Fraxel Dual focuses energy in the deeper areas of the skin, stimulating new collagen production. The new collagen that is produced ultimately improves the fine lines, wrinkles, skin texture, and scars.  Fraxel delivers amazing results with almost no down time.  You should consult with a board certified dermatologist today.

Which treatment would be best for me to remove acne scars and decrease pore size?

+1
Since your last treatment of Accutane was 10 years ago a laser treatment will be safe for you to have.  In general, patients should wait at least a year after finishing Accutane before having an aggressive laser treatment to improve acne scarring.

I would recommend a fully ablative CO2 laser procedure.  In comparison, a fractional CO2 laser would provide improvement but not to the level a "full" CO2 laser treatment would provide.  The downtime would be 7-9 days with some lingering redness to pinkness for 2-3 months.  The results would be significant but some of the acne scarring would persist.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Acne scarring and large pores

+1
It looks like an ablative laser treatment would be the best solution for you to make pores smaller and smooth out the acne scaring. I use YSGG or CO2. These lasers use different wavelengths, but are equally effective. Laser treatment would result in the greatest improvement.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon