Which treatment would be best for me to remove acne scars and decrease pore size? I am 42 with a long history of acne. (photo)

I am a stay-at-home mom, so downtime is not an issue. I went through 2 treatments of Accutane in the last 20 years. The last treatment was about 10 years ago.

Acne scars and pore size

+1
This a great question with many answers. Its important to treat the active acne first. Once the active acne is minimized you’ll have many treatment options. First I would like to see you use a great medical skin care line at home. This will help your skin on a daily basis. A nice mild peel would be great for your skin on a monthly basis, this will keep your skin looking healthy and PH balanced. To help with the scarring and pore size I’d recommend approx. 2-3 micro needling treatments. I have seen fantastic results with these in office treatments. Continue with the mild peels during and after you have completed all your treatments.

Depends .... laser resurfacing is still the best.

+1
First of all thanks for the photo.... you would be surprised the amount of people who ask questions without a good photo. It really tells a thousand words. I agree with Dr Hui, the first question is ' is you acne under control?' If not, consider anti- hormone medications such as Spironolactone or C. acetate. 

I personally would perform full laser resurfacing (none of this multiple fractional business). I would use an Erbium laser, treat your scars, till Im UNDER your scars (that is the end point), possibly finish off with CO2 5% 3 passes. This should improve things by 70-80%. Downtime? 9 days plus. 

Thanks for the photo, 
all the best, 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne treatment after Accutane

+1
Thank you for your acne question.
  1. There is no simple answer - but a lot of options.
  2. Some skins respond dramatically to an aggressive skin care program, such as Obagi.
  3. Surgery to remove deep, sunken scars reduces shadowing.
  4. Fillers such as Radiesse can do the same.
  5. Stimulation of the skin with a no-down time laser or light peels often helps.
  6. Deeper laser and deeper peels are needed for others.
  7. Pore size is difficult to predict.
  8. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist to review what bothers you, your goals and come up with a step-by-step plan. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

There are many treatment options for acne scars.

+1
Hello - first, is your acne under control? Please see a board-certified dermatologist and make sure you are on your way to acne-free skin. Great skin begins with a great skincare plan, including topical retinoids and daily sunblock with a gentle product containing ceramides such as CeraVe facial lotion SPF 30 or 50. 

Next, there are several treatment options available for your acne scars, depending on how severe your scars are. Small pitted scars can be treated with chemical peels to your entire face or localized trichloracetic (TCA) CROSS technique applied to each pit. This may require many repeat treatments, which will encourage your skin to create new collagen over the course of several weeks to months. 

You can also consider acne subcision, which is a "breaking up" of scars with a needle. Your doctor can also inject a dermal filler such as Belotero, which can help to fill in the scars after the subcision is done. This can also help to encourage new collagen formation.

A more intense approach would be laser treatments. Depending on your skin tone, fractional ablative (such as CO2 laser, best for white skin), and fractional non-ablative lasers can help to break up your scars and resurface your skin. These treatments also encourage new collagen formation, which will help fill in your scars. 

I hope this helps!

Andrea Hui, MD
San Francisco Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser treatment

+1
Acne scars vary in type and thus treatment options may also be tailored the the specific patient. For cases like yours laser or microneedle techniques would be helpful. These methods basically induce controlled injury to to the skin causing development of new collagen and scar remodeling. They both have risks and I would suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is familiar with lasers. 

Bishr Al Dabagh, MD
Santa Rosa Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scars

+1
You may be a candidate for the Fraxel Dual Laser at the 1550 wavelength to treat your acne scarring.  The Erbium technology of the Fraxel Dual focuses energy in the deeper areas of the skin, stimulating new collagen production. The new collagen that is produced ultimately improves the fine lines, wrinkles, skin texture, and scars.  Fraxel delivers amazing results with almost no down time.  You should consult with a board certified dermatologist today.

Michele S. Green, MD

Which treatment would be best for me to remove acne scars and decrease pore size?

+1
Since your last treatment of Accutane was 10 years ago a laser treatment will be safe for you to have.  In general, patients should wait at least a year after finishing Accutane before having an aggressive laser treatment to improve acne scarring.

I would recommend a fully ablative CO2 laser procedure.  In comparison, a fractional CO2 laser would provide improvement but not to the level a "full" CO2 laser treatment would provide.  The downtime would be 7-9 days with some lingering redness to pinkness for 2-3 months.  The results would be significant but some of the acne scarring would persist.

Timothy R. Miller, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne scarring and large pores

+1
It looks like an ablative laser treatment would be the best solution for you to make pores smaller and smooth out the acne scaring. I use YSGG or CO2. These lasers use different wavelengths, but are equally effective. Laser treatment would result in the greatest improvement.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon