Best Course of Treatment for a Hematoma?

I recently had explant and mastopexy, grade IV capsular contracture to left. Capsule removed with significant inflammation and blood evident, in last few days have had some swelling, inflammation and hardness to breast. PS says it is a hematoma, he tried to aspirate it but the blood has congealed. He said that my body should just slowly break it down and re absorb it, can I use ice packs to help with pain? Or should I apply heat? What is the best treatment?

+2

It is hard to name a "best treatment" as each patient must be evaluated individually. Larger hematomas can threaten the overlying skin and often are best evacuated either by aspiration, drain placement or surgery. What your surgeon has suggested sounds quite reasonable, and you should be followed up regularly until this is resolved. I would be cautious about ice or heating pads. After a breast lift your sensation may be abnormal, and you may lose protective sensation. Patients have gotten burns or frostbite requiring surgery in that setting. 

All you questions can be best answered by your own surgeon, who has the benefit of an examination that none of the RealSelf physicians have had. Thanks, and best wishes.

Hematoma after Breast Surgery?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced after breast surgery. Considering that plastic surgeons may vary in their recommendations for treatment course, I think you will be best following your own plastic surgeon's advise. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care and that the advice you receive from multiple online consultants can be conflicting and/or confusing.

Generally speaking, hematomas such as you describe do tend to liquefy over the course of the next few weeks.  At that point, it may be that the blood will reabsorb on its own or be amendable to aspiration.

Hematoma

+1

A sonogram will give an estimate of the size of the hematoma.

If the hematoma is large to cause symptoms, then surgical evacuation and insertion of a drain to  treat hematoma.

Hematoma

+1

very small hematomas will resolve but they are also not visible. the larger ones need to be evacuated otherwise they can lead to more problems.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS