How Should I Treat Swelling and Redness from a Photofacial?

Photofacial

+1

To aid in swelling and redness from a photofacial, I encourage you to limit activity, minimize or avoid sun exposure, and where a good sunscreen.  It may take a few days for this to improve. 

Photofacial

+1

Cool compressed, avoid sun exposure, no exercise until resolved.  Avoid ice packs. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Biafine and Gauze

+1

Biafine emulsion which is a prescription product had been used successfully in Europe for 26 years. It was developed by a physician whose daughter was undergoing radiotherapy and sustained burns. It has long been a mainstay for treating radiation burns. 

This applied twice a day, followed by gauze or Adaptic dressing should help. At the first sign of infection, you should be placed on an antibiotic.

Some people prefer Aquaphor. A recent study by dermatologic nurses demonstrated Aquaphor 's superiority over Biafine in post laser treatment ( Journal of Dermatology Nurses Association, April 2010). So Aquaphor can also be used. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist