Does Thermage Work for Jawline Sagging and Jowls?

I am 44 am just starting to have sagging in the jawline. Is Thermage right for me? My skin is in good condition otherwise, but the little jowls that are forming are a concern to me because they run in my family. I won't mind looking like my grandmother... later, just not at 44. Thank you for your time.

Thermage - questionable benefits

+12

Thermage is one of the least beneficial procedures in facial plastic surgery and facial rejuvenation today and the quickest way to waste your money. It does very little to address the problem of sagging skin. Little early jowls are usually best addressed by a mini facelift or Perlane/ Restylane injections.

Questionable benefits of Thermage

+8

I have personally done facelifts on at least 5 patients who previously went elsewhere for Thermage.  Each said it was painful and they "got nothing from it."  So, based on that experience I would say that if you want real and natural looking changes to reverse aging along the jawline, properly done surgery is the best answer.  Sometimes fillers can buy you some time before you go for surgery but these are temporary.

Please note that those who have enthusiasm here were dermatologists who cannot offer you surgery so their advocacy for Thermage has to be evaluated in that light.  Recall the saying that "when all you've got is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Thermage is Unpredictable

+3

Is Thermage the best way to tighten your jowl?  I would say unequivocally, No.  A Facelift procedure is most likely to address your concerns.  Can Thermage provide some benefit?  It can.  However, the results on Thermage have been very mixed and it might not be the best way to spend your money.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy vs. Thermage for lower face rejuvenation in Los Angeles

+1

Although Thermage will work in this area, I would recommend the Ulthera treatment for the lower face and upper neck areas. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Thermage is the best non-invasive single treatment for jowels

+1
If  your skin is in good and healthy condition and you dod not have a lot of aging in terms of loose skin then it sounds like you are an excellent candidate for Thermage.  It sounds like you are perfect both from your expectations and skin quality.  Good luck with the treatment and write back in!

Michele S. Green, MD

Tightening the jaw with thermage

+1

When I tighten the jaw line, to elevate the jowls, I treat the face to help lift, and the neck as well after I focus on the jaw and peform vectors of treatment from the jowl up the cheek. The neck treatment helps pull down at the angle of the jaw so the two different forces can help tighten the line

Ronald Shelton, MD

Thermage works.

+1

I am a Plastic Surgeon so surgery is certainly an option I offer my patients when it's appropriate.  As a Plastic Surgeon it's not necessarily good for business to tell you that Thermage works...but it does...however, it is not a facelift and will not give you the results that a facelift will give you.  If your issues are severe, then a significant treatment is indicated.  But, if your issues are mild, then Thermage is certainly a minimally invasive way to get an improvement that you could only otherwise get with surgery.  I perform Thermage as part of a series with three other skin tightening modalities and patients tend to be happy.  Should I as a surgeon sound positive that I can make a patient happy without surgery?  That's a whole different discussion!

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Thermage for Jowl and Jawline

+1

We did a study (submitted for publication, presented at ASDS and American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery) comparing the improvement in the jowl and submental areas of 30 patients.  They were divided into 3 groups: Thermage alone, Smartlipo alone, Thermage and Smartlipo.  The best results(rated by physicians) were in patients with the combination of Thermage and Smartlipo.  The happiest patients were the ones with Thermage alone.  Since objective results were very close and patient satisfaction is the most important factor I stopped performing Smartlipo.

Thermage alone does work given appropriate expectations....it is not a facelift but is a viable less invasive alternative for those not wanting surgery.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Thermage works well to tighten jawline

+1

Thermage is a good way to tighten the jawline and reduce the appearance of jowls. You are young, and you say that your skin is in good condition which I take to mean that you don't smoke and you do not have a lot of sun damage. You sound like a great candidate for Thermage. You may have a combination of sagging skin and the loss of volume that comes from aging. Thermage tightens the skin, giving you more definition in the jawline and minimizing your jowls. Many people who complain of a sagging jawline and jowls also have a loss of volume in their cheeks. Volume replacement can be achieved with Sculptra, Radiesse, or Juvederm, to name a few. This will further help to lift the lower face and define the jawline.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Thermage Work For Jowls?

+1

Thermage is one of the best non-invasive, no down-time procedure for jowls.  When you perform a Thermage, if you do one half of the face first and show the patient the treated side versus the non-treated side, they are always impressed with the improvement and want to make sure you treat the non-treated side the same!  The beauty of Thermage is that it can hold off an more invasive procedure such as a face-lift if done early enough.  You are at the perfect age to start Thermage.  I will sometimes see a patient for a Thermage consult who has too much laxity or neck jowling that would be better served with a facelift or necklift and we will refer them to a plastic surgeon we trust.

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon