Is Thermage Painful?

Thermage not much painful with good oral pain control

+1

Thermage procedure pain level is in control of the patient. Patient will let the doctor know how much heat sensation he is able to tolerate on the scale 1-4, 1 being warm, 2 being hot, 3 being very hot or 4 can't take it. The doctor will adjust settings of Thermage device according to patient's tolerance.

Most patients are prescribed pain medication to take off the edge of the treatment and to make their experience more pleasant. 100 % of patients treated by us are able to finish this procedure with out any problems. Body Thermage is little more uncomfortable and patient needs heavier medication for that but still is tolerable.

Thermage with the CPT Tip is Painless

+1

If your provider is an active Thermage user, they will have the newest technology.  The older units of Thermage used to cause pain.  However, things have changed.  Last October, Thermage came out with a new Comfort Pulse Technology (CPT) tip that has a vibratory sensation that substantially decreases the pain.  Our patients do not complain of pain.  Thermage is extremely provider dependent, therefore, it is important you choose a provider that has a lot of experience and has invested in the newest technology for patient comfort.     

Is Thermage Painful?

+1

Solta medical, the makers of Thermage had a software and tip upgrade November of last year. The purpose of the upgrade was to make the procedure virtually painless. The new tip delivers greater results with no pain because it utilizes a proprietary vibratory tip that delivers the energy but blocks the sensation of pain. I always counsel new patients that if they are nervous we can still prescribe a Xanax if they have a designated driver. All of my patients who have had the old technology versus the new say they love the new machine and say it is a night and day difference in comfort!

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Thermage is virtually painless

+1

Thermage® is now a safe, non-invasive, radiofrequency (RF) cosmetic procedure that’s clinically proven to help smooth, tighten and contour skin for an overall younger looking appearance. The treatment delivers natural looking results with little to no downtime —on all skin colors, on and off the face, all in a single procedure. Fast and easy, you can even come in during your lunch break and return to work after!

Thermage® uses radiofrequency technology to heat the deep, collagen rich layers of your skin. The heat helps tighten existing collagen and stimulate the formation of new collagen, which reduces sagging, renews contours, and improves the smoothness and texture of the skin’s surface. Comfort Pulse Technology, including a vibrating handpiece delivers enhanced patient comfort.

On the face, Thermage® can treat sagging skin, loose jowls, lack of definition in the jaw line, sagging neck skin (“turkey neck”), wrinkles and fine lines, and lack of definition in the lips. Around the eyes, Thermage® can treat under eye bags, hooding, rough texture on the eyelids, wrinkles and fine lines, and other contributors to tired looking eyes. Elsewhere on the body, Thermage® can treat wrinkled, crepey, sagging or bulging skin as well as the appearance of cellulite

Thermage should not be a painful treatment

+1

Thermage should not be a painful procedure. During the treatment it will feel very warm or hot but you should not be in pain. There will be a few spots, usually over bony points where the sensory nerves are closest to the surface, that are more sensitive and will feel very sharp and uncomfortable.

Thermage is not a type of procedure where you "grin and bear it." If it hurts too much you must tell the doctor, because she or he will then turn down the energy level or you could risk getting a burn. During the procedure, your skin may feel more sensitive and you may need to have the energy turned down. That's OK. You should not ever be in pain during this procedure. When I do Thermage I am constantly asking my patients how they are feeling, how the temperature feels and how the pain is.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.