Is There a Cure for Psoriasis?

There Are Options To Keep it Under Control

+1

I really have nothing more to add except that we have a much better understanding of the disease process today then we did only 10 short years ago.  With this understanding has come better treatments that have helped most patients stay under control.  Bottom line is to see a board certified dermatologist in your area that is well versed in the treatment of psoriasis.

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist

Psoriasis - not curable, possible to control.

+1

Unfortunately, we are still not at a point where we can talk about curing psoriasis. However, with new treatments like biological therapy, it may be reasonable to talk about disease control. Choose a centre which is able to offer you the newer developments in treatment, because there are quite some.

Renita Lourdhurajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist

Psoriasis cure

+1

There is currently no psoriasis cure, but our understanding of this autoimmune inflammatory skin disease has greatly increased in the past few years. Our treatments, including topically, orally, phototherapy, and injections have vastly improved such that just like diabetes, this becomes a well-controlled chronic skin condition. Now that we've identified some of the genes for psoriasis, we should hopefully have a genetic cure in the coming years which deals with the root immune cause.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Cure for Psoriasis

+1

Unfortunately there is NO psoriasis cure but there are psoriasis treatments. We have the XTRAC laser that offers suffereses many benefits. Depending on your condition will dictate how many treatments will be necessary.   

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Psoriasis cannot be eliminated. It is a chronic medical...

+1

Psoriasis cannot be eliminated. It is a chronic medical condition, just like high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol. As a dermatologist, the focus I have is more on management and control of a chronic medical condition.

Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin condition that affects 3-5% of all people. It causes red, itching plaques with scales that most commonly occur on the elbows, knees, and scalp but can occur anywhere on the body. The spectrum of psoriasis severity varies from very, very mild with one or two small rough patches where patients don't even know they have psoriasis to severe red, scaling plaques that cover almost an entire body.

The one important thing to note about psoriasis is that approximately 33% of all psoriasis patients will develop an associated psoriatic arthritis. Because this tends to be both progressive and degenerative, it is important to intervene early with appropriate medications to spare joints.

When I look at managing psoriasis, there are different levels of treatment based on the patient's severity.

• Initially, you can use gentle topical moisturizers and topical antiinflammatory agents such as nonsteroidal antiinflammatory creams and ointments and topical steroid creams and ointments. In fact, we have patented a brand new spray called CutiCort spray that is the most effective topical treatment for psoriasis known today.
    • Additionally, creams containing vitamin D have been effective and, to a lesser extent, creams containing vitamin A.
  • Another modality to treatment, is phototherapy. In our clinic, we have successfully used narrow-band ultraviolet B light treatments with tremendous success in treating psoriasis.
  • Another line of treatments would be systemic medications. These include medicines such has methotrexate, cyclosporine, and oral retinoids. These medicines work very well, but they have a higher side-effect profile and risks and benefits must be weighed carefully by a skilled dermatologist when administering them. When used properly, the results can be exceptional.
  • Last but not least, there is a new class of medications called biologic agents. These medications are derived from antibodies, which are proteins that can actually bind to other proteins that drive the psoriasis process. By essentially acting like little sponges or mops, they soak up the proteins that normally land on skin cells and cause them to grow very fast (this is the problem with psoriasis--skin grows way too fast and piles up upon itself), and as a result, the psoriasis state is controlled. Some can also help with inflammation, which will also treat psoriatic arthritis in the joints.

In my clinic, I tend to use a combination of all modalities. I rarely use monotherapy because I think when you combine proven methods to treat psoriasis, you get much better control, and they tend to work synergistically, so I often will use a combination of topical agents, systemic agents, phototherapeutic agents, and some of the new biologic agents, with great success. In my opinion, psoriasis can be managed very, very well with what is available today in medicine.

Charles Crutchfield, MD
Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon