Sculptura Alternatives

for filling marionete lines and cheeks what are alternatives to sculptura injections

Fat Transfer is a Good Option

+4
For those with signicant fat loss in the face, fat transfer is a good option. Fat Transfer, also known as Fat Injections or Fat Grafting, is the technique of moving fat from one area of the body to another to improve contour, correct defects, or enhance features. Unlike Sculptra, which lasts up to 2 years, the results of fat transfer may be permanent, especially when placing fat under the eyes and in the cheeks or temples. It does not tend to last week in the naso-labial folds (lines from nose to mouth) or in the lips, due to the amount of movement in that area. I've been doing fat transfer for 8 years, and the majority of my patients have just one treatment. Occasionally, they do come back for a touch-up treatment about a year later, especially in those with HIV-induced lipodystrophy. The benefit of fat transfer is that it is your own body's material (fat) that is being injected. The drawback is that it is technique-dependent and does require surgery (in my practice, a minor surgical procedure with local anesthesia and oral sedation).

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Radiesse is a good alternative

+2

Radiesse is a filler that both acts as a filler and a collagen stimulator.  It has the advantages of immediate correction like a filler but also offers collagen stimulation like Sculptra.  I use it extensively along the jawline and along the marionette lines, as well as the cheeks and under the lateral brow.  It can be diluted to get the consistency you need in any area so that you can inject it deep for support or superficial to fill in lines.  I find it last much longer than the hyaluronic acid fillers and is a much sturdier product. 

Carla R. Retief, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra is a volumizer, but not all fillers are

+2
Sculptra and Radiesse restore volume to the cheeks and mid face. This helps to pull hanging skin folds at the nose and mouth back up in a very satisfying way. The other fillers are much better at treating the symptoms by filling in lines and wrinkles, but are not actually addressing the cause of the problem in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I like most of the fillers out there and they all have their purpose, but when I get a patient who is willing to listen to my best advice, I fill the mid face first - and they typically end up much happier.

Thomas P. Sterry, MD

As Dr. Hoenig mentioned, fat transfer is a permanent...

+2
As Dr. Hoenig mentioned, fat transfer is a permanent option for filling the face. For patients who are looking for a temporary solution, injectible fillers such as hyaluronic acid and others can be used. Though these last anywhere from 3 months to a year, it can allow a patient to see if they like the look before undergoing a more permanent alternative such as fat transfer.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alternatives to Sculpra Injections

+1
Sculptra injections are ideal for replacing lost facial volume when the goal is for natural, long lasting results, and when the patient is willing to wait 4 to 6 months for final results and undergo 3 treatments spaced 6 to 8 weeks apart.  There is no downtime.  With proper technique, and post treatment care, the complication rate is very low and comparable to other filler injections.

Patients seeking alternative products are usually either looking for even longer lasting results, such as with fat injections, or want instant results, where products like Restylane, Juvederm, Juvederm Voluma and Radiesse would be used.

Fat transfer is a surgical procedure and performed in the operating room under sedation.  There is 7 to 10 days of downtime.  Results are not always consistent from patient to patient and only one third to half the fat injected takes and remains for a long period of time.  This often necessitates a second boost treatment after 6 months.  One has to be careful not to gain much weight as the face will also gain weight, sometimes dramatically, where the fat has been injected.

Other fillers are very appealing because the results are instant.  With Juvederm Voluma's recent FDA approval, we now have the option of injecting patients one time with a product that can last up to two years, in a single treatment safely and naturally. 

The most important factor is not what product is used but more so where, how much, and the technique used to inject the products.  When done properly, all products will have a youthful volumization to the face.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra alternatives

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvederm, Restylane) and Radiesse are great for filling the marionette lines and cheeks.  However, if you are looking for a longer lasting solution, fat grafting and other surgical options may be a better option. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Sculptra alternatives for marionette lines

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as restylane, perlane, and juvederm are good treatments for marionette lines

Rebecca L. Euwer, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra, Juvederm, Restylane all do well with marionette lines.

+1

Marionette lines can be treated in several ways. I favor Sculptra or the hyaluronic acid products.

1. Sculptra: lasts 2 or 3 years and takes several treatments for initial result
  2. Juvederm:  lasts a year, one treatment
  3. Restylane: lasts 18 months when a touch up is done at 6 months.
  4. Perlane:  same as Restylane

I find that I can provide my patients with choice and great results.  The product used is tailored to my patients needs and desires.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm works great

+1

Juverderm, Restylane, fat fillers also work great as alternatives. Sculptra is definitely not the end all  be all of treatment for these. There are even some surgical procedures that can help such as cheek implants, midface lift. 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sculptra alternatives.

+1

Sculptra is good for volumizing the face.  It is good for putting a little volume in multiple places, more significant volume in others.

HA fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, and Perlane can be used in certain areas instead of Sculptra.  They will give immediate results.  The issue is how long they last (usuall 6-9 months) and cost. 

Fat grafting can be used in some areas.  It is a more extensive procedure (and you have to have the fat to donate to graft).  Find someone who does microfat grafting.  Fat, when it" takes" (ie lives in its new location), is thought to be permanent, though it is not uncommon to see it dwindle over time and need a touch up.  Natural tissue is always better though when it works.

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon