What is the recovery time for ptosis correction and how soon can you see the results?

I recently had double eyelid surgery with ptosis correction for my left eye 3 days ago. My eyelids are still swollen but I feel I am starting to see results. However, My left eye still looks heavier than my right eye. Does this mean the ptosis surgery wasn't successful or is it still too early to tell?

Eyelid Swelling: Expectations Following Surgery

+2

Eyelid swelling is quite variable, with some patients having little while other patients having more.  It takes a few weeks to see the details of the lids, such as the lid creases and eyelid shape.  A patient will have an idea of outcome by 4 - 6 weeks.  Final, small pockets of swelling, such as at the lower eyelid/cheek junction, should resolve by 3 months. 

When things go perfectly with this takes about 2 months.

+2
Swelling tends to persist making the eyelids look heavy and with high creases.  As the swelling resolves this slowly proves.  It is really 6 to 12 months before one can judge if a revision is needed.

Eyelid Ptosis Surgery

+1
It is too early to tell. This is a circumstance where your surgeon has made an intraoperative determination as to your levator ptosis repair. He and you have discussed the natural asymmetries that you have that pre-existed your surgery. You will naturally have some slight asymmetries postoperatively. At 3 days post op it is quite common to have swelling asymmetries that may make you worry about having any results or having results that are asymmetric. I would counsel you to refer to your physician for him to discuss the details with you so you can feel more reassured in this early postoperative period.

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon