I'm Getting the Radiance Clear Braces in a Couple Months. How Bad is It to Get Them on the Top and Bottom? (photo)

I don't want any metal braces in my mouth at all! I've included a picture of my teeth to give an idea of how my bite is as I know this is what can cause a problem with having ceramics on your bottom teeth. If you're super careful is it ok to get them on the bottom as well? I mean I'm not a kid, I'm 25 so I would be careful with them. I've see pictures of people with them on the top and bottom but when I went to the ortho they said they'd do it but don't recommend it.

Ceramic braces on bottom teeth

+2

It looks like you might be able to wear ceramic braces on your lower teeth, because you don't have a deep overbite in the photo you posted.  If you get ceramics on the lower just be aware and call your orthodontist if the braces start to contact the underside surface of the upper front teeth.  One other thing you might do is have a look in the mirror when you smile.  You might be surprised to see how little the lower teeth show on smiling.  Maybe metal braces on the lower wouldn't show much.  Of course you are the final judge of what "too much" is!

Seattle Orthodontist

Radiance clear braces

+2

Ceramic or crystalline braces are made of materials that are harder than your own enamel.  Consequently, if clear braces are placed on the lower front teeth and the edges of the upper front teeth contact them, then there is a potential for damage.  Specifically, the upper teeth could develop wear marks or grooves where they contact the lower ceramic bracket.  It is for that reason that orthodontists elect not to place clear braces on the lower teeth.  It is imperative that you consult with your licensed orthodontic specialist for their opinion about your specific circumstances.

Portage Orthodontist

Concern is with abrasion of the top teeth

+2

There are times when ceramic braces are not recommended on both arches.  This is when the opposite arch will contact the braces.  Because of the composition of the ceramics, they will abrade (wear down) the teeth in the other arch when rubbing against them.

Generally the concern is to put them on the bottom teeth when the top teeth overlap the bottom ones severely (deep overbite).  If the brackets can be placed in such a way that the lower brackets will not contact the uppers, then you should not worry about having them on both arches.  Good luck!

Toronto Orthodontist

Skiip the brackets and get Invisalign.

+1

Invisable braces are the way to go..I had porc. brackets placed 20 years ago before Invisalign was around and it was HELL..It affected my speech,,diet,and kissing was very difficult.  lol..Yes those all matter even at my age..

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist