What is the Difference Between TruSculpt, Liposonix, and CoolSculpting?

I got different recommendations at different consultations. For fat reduction of the same area, some told me to do Liposonix, and some told me to do CoolSculpting. Also, when I was doing some research on the internet I read about truSculpting, which seems to be something quite similar. So I’m just confused. What is the difference between truSculpt, Liposonix, and CoolSculpting? Which one is more cost effective, and which one gives results more quickly?

Permanent Fat Reduction

CoolSculpting, TruSculpt and Liposonix are all modalities to treat fat. CoolSculpting uses cyrolipolysis, which uses cold temperatures to freeze the fat, killing and permanently reducing the fat cells. TruSculpt, which uses radiofrequency, and Liposonix, which uses high frequency ultrasound, both use heat to destroy the fat cells.

In our practice, CoolSculpting is the most reliable, consistant and effective method of permanently reducing fat cells - but you must have a distinct buldge in order to have the treatment done. Liposonix and TruSculpt are better utilized in areas of flat fat, such as the lateral thigh or a flat fat abdomen which has no distinguishable buldge.

Methods of treatment for fat- Trusculpt works for my patients

Liposonix is a high frequency ultrasonic energy and Coolsculpting is a targeted cooling process to eradicate fat cells. TruSculpt is a technology that uses a comfortable heat and can treat anywhere from the shoulders down.  Trusculpt causes a "natural" cell death and results are seen in 4-6 weeks.  Everyone is a candidate for TruSculpt as there is no "pinch rule" or need to have enough skin/fat to suck up into a handpiece.  In 30 minutes your treatment can be performed with zero pain, discomfort or downtime.  Patients may resume their daily activities right away.  I have seen 20-30% reduction from each treatment session and  it is wonderful to have a painless, fast technology that has the patient back their daily routine without any disruption or side effects.

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

TruSculpt, Liposonix and CoolSculpting Reviewed

Dear miumiuftw:

Over 35 years ago, a surgical option became available to reduce localized areas of fat in the superficial layer just under the skin. This became known as Tumescent Liposuction. As well experienced surgeons became better at contouring and smoothening the curves of the body, the technique advanced from “spot” liposuction to LipoContouring or LipoSculpture. These techniques are dependent on the skill and talent of the surgeon using a “to and fro” arm motion with a suction cannula. Technology added “power” behind the hand-engine with ultrasound, radiofrequency, laser and waterjets in the cannula.

Over 10 years ago, similar technologies using ultrasound, microwaves, radiofrequency and lasers were created to heat the fat without burning the skin. Most of these have failed to provide a reliable and reproducible results.

Most recently, CoolSculpting, identified and created by a team of scientists and Dermatologists developed a non-surgical option to reduce “spot” fat once again in a reliable and reproducible method freezing the fat cells without injuring the skin.

CoolSculpting, TruSculpt and Liposonix are all different ways to reduce superficial fat thickness without surgery. Both TruSculpt, using radiofrequency and Liposonix, using high frequency ultrasound deliver heat to destroy the fat cells; again without reliability. CoolSculpting uses cold temperatures to nearly freeze the fat, killing and permanently reducing the fat cells.

In our practice, many patients turn to CoolSculpting for the most reliable, consistent and effective method of permanently reducing fat. If you have smaller bulges, a series of CoolSculpting sessions will provide up to 20% reduction of the fat which fits into the CS applicator. If you wish a single session where up to 90% of the fat under the skin is removed, contoured and smoothened, traditional tumescent LipoContouring is recommended.

Please obtain consultation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who provides both options so you will receive your best recommendations. I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Which machine?

They all reduce fat - just with different methods.  CoolSculpting uses freezing of the fat cell, Liposonix uses focused ultrasound to heat up the fat cell, and trusculpt uses radiofrquency energy, which also heats up the fat cell.  So far, I'm not aware of any good head-to-head scientific comparison study to prove which one is best...

CoolSculpting by Zeltiq, Liposonix and TruSculpt

CoolSculpting kills fat cells permanently by freezing them. This was developed after the awareness of long term fat loss in the cheeks of toddlers who fell asleep with a popsicle in their mouth and the fat died, permanently leaving them with a hollow cheek. Liposonix is an external ultrasonic treatment that heats up the skin and is painful and TruSculpt uses radiofrequency to comfortably liberate the fat out of the adipocytes. I am not certain as to whether fat cells die equally in all non-invasive fat loss procedures as some procedures may temporarily shrink the fat cell allowing it to lose the triglycerides in them but the fat cells may rejuvenate. We don't have good long term side-by-side comparison studies on these different units.

I have had a few years of experience with the CoolSculpting treatment in my practice and the overwhelming majority of patients see results of fat loss.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting is a device that is FDA aproved by freezing fat without damaging surrounding tissues. The process requires no surgery and no downtime

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fat Reduction Treatment

Thank you for your question. Ultimately, which procedure you choose is up to you. As far as which one is best, it depends on the type of results you want. At my practice, I have had great results with CoolSculpting. CoolSculpting is a breakthrough, non-invasive procedure that uses cooling technology to noticeably eliminate fat without surgery. Typically, each CoolSculpting treatment results in a noticeable reduction of fat in the treated area. After the initial treatment is complete, you can attain further reductions with additional treatments, resulting in even more fat loss. Some patients find that just one treatment fully addresses their goals. There is little to no downtime associated with CoolSculpting as well. You may start to see changes as quickly as three weeks after your treatment, and will experience the most dramatic results after two months. But your body will still flush out fat cells and continues doing so for up to four to six months after treatment.