Which over the Counter Silicone Sheeting and or Paper Tape Do You Recommend for TT and Breast Lift Scars?

I have read many of you recommend Silicone Sheets (they need be applied less often correct?) and Or Paper Tape... For the Tummy Tuck scars and Breast Lift scars. I have not gotten mine done yet but would like to have the needed supplies on had for when I do have it done in January of 2012. So with all of the companies telling us their product is best. What do you say?

Which ovr the Counter Silicone Sheeting &/or Paper Tape Do You Recommend for TT & Breast Lift Scars?

+3

I have to agree with the others..Many of my patients use Biodermis silicone strips ordered on-line but they can get rashy (a word??) so I advise only half-day use and they are expensive. So for simplicity, I am going more and more now to brown 3M paper tape left on 2 weeks and then changed weekly by the patient, as Dr. Kyllo recommends.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative scar treatments

+2

Although many plastic surgeons recommend the use of silicone sheeting there really is no good evidence that it is superior to paper tape.  I did a small study of my own patients who had undergone a tummy tuck.  I had patients cover one half of their scars with paper tape and the other half with silicone without telling me what they had used on ether side........ I was unable to find any difference between the two sides. 

Scar treatment

+2

Of all the factors that influence scar maturation, I believe genetics plays the largest role. However sun avoidance and scar massage may have some value. I am awre that there are a number of opinions on post surgery scar therapy, but I recommend Dr. Blaines. It is relatively inexpensive and easy to use.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Silicone sheet or tape for scar treatment after lift

+2

Post operative scar size and thickness, as well as color, (in the absence of disease) may be affected  by:

1. Tension on the closure:  avoidable in the breast, less controllable in the tummy tuck
  2. Skin type. 
  3. Motion:  stretch along the incision line will affect the scar formation negatively
  4. Gravity:  scars that are under tension due to weight will tend to widen and thicken

Prolonged skin taping (one month at least) followed by scar reduction protocol including Silicone patches can improve your chances of having less visible incisions.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Topical scar treatments have little benefit

+2
We just reviewed the topic of scar treatments at the hot topics session at the plastic surgery meeting here in denver.there is very lttle evidence that any of them help more than simple taping.

Tap or silicone for scar care?

+2

I find that the easiest, cheapest, and most effective treatment for surgical scars is to use paper tape. I apply it in the operating room directly over the closed incision and usually leave it for 2 weeks before changing it. I then instruct patients to change it themselves weekly or so. I recommend wearing the tape for 3 months and find that the scars remain flat and do not become red or raised. This will even work to some degree with older scars that are raised and red. Silicone sheets do work but are more difficult to keep in place and they do not breathe which sometimes will cause a rash. Scar creams do not really work well in my experience. Remember to use only paper tape, not adhesive tape!

Treatment for scars

+2

for30 years I have used paper tape. when all of the new products came out I try them and continue to go back to paper tape. it also costs only pennys

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Management of Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift Stars?

+1

I have used paper tape, stare strips, silicone sheeting, and silicone gel creams and haven't noticed significant differences in healing of incision lines. Unfortunately,  sometimes despite plastic surgeons best efforts abnormal scarring can occur. Often, patients who are genetically inclined to scar well will do so without any intervention whatsoever.

I would suggest that you follow your plastic surgeons “protocol”;  otherwise, you may become confused/frustrated with the variety of opinions you will obtain online.

Best wishes with your procedure.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Scar treatment: Use what works best for you

+1

The most important consideration concerning the quality of your scars is choosing the right surgeon.  A surgeon who is meticulous in their markings before surgery and in their incision closure tend to get the best scar results. It is much better to have all buried sutures so that their are no stitch marks in the skin and no sutures have to be removed after surgery.

After surgery, leave the tapes on your incisions as long as possible. Once they start to come off, use whatever you find easy to apply and doesn't cause irritation to your skin. Forget about vitamin E or other proprietary gels or ointments, the just don't work. Covering your scars for several months with tape or silicone sheeting is best. I generally recommend Nexcare tape because it is cheaper than silicone sheeting, it comes in an easy dispenser and they have four different types to chose from. Use whichever works best for you but be religious about it. If  you get thick scars despite your best efforts, see your surgeon who may prescribe a steroid-impregnated tape or perform small steroid injections.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Silicone or Tape For Breast Scars

+1

While the usefulness of silicone sheets or other similar products to improve breast scars remains questionable, there is little real evidence that they provide any significant advantage over simple paper tape.  Considering the cost alone, I would recommend paper tape over any of the products available for scar improvement.  At a recent national plastic surgery meeting this topic was reviewed and the verdict was these silicone products are not likely worth the cost.  

Web reference: http://www.drlouisdeluca.com/

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon