Is It Possible To Stay the Same Cup Size After Having a Breast Lift Without Implants?

I'm having a breast lift, currently a D cup and I'm happy with it. I'm wondering if I'll have a smaller cup size after the lift? I have no intentions of doing a lift with implants. Thanks.

Breast lift does not make existing breasts smaller

+2

Hi Kathz,

Absolutely! Although, sometimes some tissue may be removed, the fact that the entire breast mound is moved higher on the chest wall, it gives the appearance of having slightly larger breasts. There is a new technique that takes your existing breast tissue to form an internal cone and uses your excess skin to form 'bra straps' to secure your newly formed breasts on your chest. This will minimize inferior descent. An added benefit to this technique is that there are NO VERTICAL SCARS. The end result is very similar to that of a breast augmentation. Best wishes, Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lifting and cup size

+1

It is hard to promise or predict  final cup size after breast surgery. With breast lifting, even though no breast tissue is removed, the breast shape and position are changed. This change in position and shape may result in a different cup size or a different level of filling  the cup of a bra.  For example, a breast that sits lower on the chest wall may require a larger cup size than the same volume breast sitting higher on the chest wall.

Therefore you should not  base your goals or the success of your operation  based on a cup  size which may very depending on who makes a bra.

Breast Size Need not Change with Breast Lift

+1

Hi Kathz: A breast lift is essentially a re-packaging of the breast tissue you have now into a smaller "skin brassiere" to uplift and re-shape the breasts. That should translate into shapelier breasts with about the same cup size, since in most cases only skin is removed ( usually in the neighborhood of an ounce or so from each breast). Check with your surgeon to see if any other tissue removal is planned (such as a reduction on one side to improve size match or removal of some tissue at the sides to improve shape in a wide breast). Also, I find that bra fit will change a bit afterward so that different bra styles will then work for you (notably the lower cut ones) without the breast overflowing the cup due to the flabby excess skin. In some cases that may mean your bra size changes but not really the actual breast "cup size" or volume. So I wouldn't add to your bra wardrobe till after you are healed a bit, to ensure the best fit and the best support to protect your result! I find breast lift to be a great restorative procedure after pregnancy or weight loss, and you are likely to be very pleased with your more youthful and firm new figure! Best of luck to you! Dr H

Mary C. Herte, MD

+1

Generally, yes. The cup size stays largely the same after a lift. After all, in a lift the bra skin envelope is "taken in" and made smaller allowing the breast tissue to fill a smaller "casing" thereby appearing perkier.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Same breast cup size after breast lift?

+1

Absolutely.  A properly performed breast lift should only include skin removal and perhaps the smallest amount of soft-tissue every once in a while.  By and large a breast lift should maintain your current breast volume.  What cup size your bra will say after your breast lift is another matter since patients tend to select different bra sizes after surgery since their breasts now need different type of support.  I recommend you discuss this in depth with your plastic surgeon and take a close look at his/her before and after photos.  Below is a link to one of my before and after breast lift photos which should give you an idea of what can be accomplished.  Good luck.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Vertical breast lift will leave you the same size and lasts a long time.

+1

Hi.

Only a bit of skin is removed during breast lift.  Breast tissue is not removed. So you stay the same cup size.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast lifts and cup sizes

+1

By definition a breast lift addresses the excess skin that is allowing your breasts to sit too low.  Removing this skin and reshaping the breast takes away some tissue but the more forward pointing, toned and uplifted breast often looks larger than the downward pointing droopy version.  A lift can be done with no breast reduction or with some reduction so ask your surgeon to preserve as much tissue as would be appropriate.  Don't base your happiness in the end by cup size, base it on shape, tone, and a more youthful looking breast.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Reduction in cup size with breast lift

+1

I am sure you will hear pretty much the same from most of us. A list removed only a small amount of skin relatively speaking and therefore the cup size reduction is minimal.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

It is possible to have a mastopexy and maintain the same bra  cup size . This is true most of the time in a mastopexy when only skin is removed. If there is a difference in size and the breast are equalized it may not be true. 

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Will a Breast Lift Change My Cup Size?

+1

It is possible to maintain your current cup size with a breast lift.  This, however, depends on a number of factors including how much breast tissue you have to begin with, how much skin laxity (looseness) there is and the type of bra you choose.  I find that many women with sagging breasts wear a larger cup size to help them 'stuff' their breasts (mostly loose skin) comfortably into the bra.  After a lift , with removal of much of the loose skin and tightening of the breast, many women find that they can comfortably wear a cup size smaller.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon who can give you an accurate assessment of what to expect after your lift.  Best of luck!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon